iPhone use in the bush questions...

Ironman8

WKR
Hey guys, so I've read this thread over (3x) and lots of good info! I looked into all the Apps mentioned and started with the free ones just to see if I could get what I needed without spending money. Well, after playing around with a few of them briefly, I don't think I can. SO what's the best App to get if all I really need is the following:

-TOPO Map
-Ability to layer other maps such as Aerial View
-Offline use/download ability
-Ability to mark waypoints, glassing/hunting spots, ect (and hopefully see them offline)
-"Find me" ability on the map of the area that I'm using (to verify my location on the map)
-Not sure how the whole export/import of maps thing works, but sounds like it might be useful

I may have missed a couple things, but let me know what you recommend and if there's another feature that I might want.

The two apps that cost money that were mentioned in this thread as being pretty good were the GAIA App ($19.99) and Topo Maps by Phil Endecott ($7.99)

Which one is best?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a NewTrent NT120R for my trip up into the brooks this year. It was my first experience with a battery charger device and I must say that I am fairly impressed. 4 days of rain kept me inside the tent a lot, so I turned to games on the good ole iphone (I forgot to take a book...) I was able to charge my phone from completely dead 4 times and I charged my gopro 2 times. When the trip was over I still had at least one full charge on the battery. It was a bit heavy (around a pound and a half I would guess), but it sure was nice to be able to use my phone to take pics, use the alarm feature, and play games during the downtime.

Pretty cool unit for a low tech guy. Not to mention its waterproof and shockproof, both features that I tested up north :rolleyes:

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, so I've read this thread over (3x) and lots of good info! I looked into all the Apps mentioned and started with the free ones just to see if I could get what I needed without spending money. Well, after playing around with a few of them briefly, I don't think I can. SO what's the best App to get if all I really need is the following:

-TOPO Map
-Ability to layer other maps such as Aerial View
-Offline use/download ability
-Ability to mark waypoints, glassing/hunting spots, ect (and hopefully see them offline)
-"Find me" ability on the map of the area that I'm using (to verify my location on the map)
-Not sure how the whole export/import of maps thing works, but sounds like it might be useful

I may have missed a couple things, but let me know what you recommend and if there's another feature that I might want.

The two apps that cost money that were mentioned in this thread as being pretty good were the GAIA App ($19.99) and Topo Maps by Phil Endecott ($7.99)

Which one is best?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

My buddy is using Trimble GPS hunt pro on the iPhone with good results. He's able to download areas of topo coverage And it worked well offline for us in WY. The delorme InReach is another great option for topo plus it gives you satellite texting capabilities. But... It's also expensive. Not sure about the ability to layer other maps.

A new option that just came out is the new GPS Hunting maps app for iPhone and iPad. You can cache topo and aerial photo coverage plus you have hunt boundaries and land status and property ownership data.

I have not tried it, but it sounds like everything a guy could need.

Coop

Whisky

WKR
For Android, Trimble GPS Hunt Pro for $4.99 ????

Anything else cool for us Android users ??

My main "need" is sat/aerial photos, without cell coverage.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For Android, Trimble GPS Hunt Pro for $4.99 ????

Anything else cool for us Android users ??

My main "need" is sat/aerial photos, without cell coverage.

Yep - there are more fees though... Want to say he said $5 a month for unlimited topo downloads. Haven't researched it personally, but I did mess with his app on a hunt in August and it worked great. Don't know if they have aerial downloads available.

Ironman8

WKR
Did you try Motionx GPS

I looked at it, but I'm not sure if that has everything I was looking for. Plus, my buddy got Gaia today and said that it's got much better maps and features than MotionX...albeit at a higher cost. Still deciding...

Ironman8

WKR
My buddy is using Trimble GPS hunt pro on the iPhone with good results. He's able to download areas of topo coverage And it worked well offline for us in WY. The delorme InReach is another great option for topo plus it gives you satellite texting capabilities. But... It's also expensive. Not sure about the ability to layer other maps.

A new option that just came out is the new GPS Hunting maps app for iPhone and iPad. You can cache topo and aerial photo coverage plus you have hunt boundaries and land status and property ownership data.

I have not tried it, but it sounds like everything a guy could need.

Coop

Few questions:

I'm assuming your buddy upgraded from the free version of Trimble? Which upgrade?

Was he able to overlay maps (ie. an aerial view over a topo view)?

Are you referring to the "HUNT app"? If it's the same free one I downloaded, then they don't have all states availabe. I was looking for something that has the entire US.

If I had to boil it down to the two views I care most about, it's Topo and Aerial views...and preferably with the ability to overlay to view together.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Few questions:

I'm assuming your buddy upgraded from the free version of Trimble? Which upgrade?

Was he able to overlay maps (ie. an aerial view over a topo view)?

Are you referring to the "HUNT app"? If it's the same free one I downloaded, then they don't have all states availabe. I was looking for something that has the entire US.

If I had to boil it down to the two views I care most about, it's Topo and Aerial views...and preferably with the ability to overlay to view together.

GPS hunt pro - I think it's $4.99. I don't know about aerials. He didn't have any loaded if it's even available. He loaded it right before the hunt. I believe he had access to everything out west for download. He didn't care about flat-land topo - google maps has aerial and topo free for that and you would have cell service to run that most places from the plains to east coast. I'll see what he knows about aerials and get back.

jm1607

WKR
I've had bad luck with Gaia. I had Gaia Lite and the GPS has been way off. It's gotten me lost twice so I finally got rid of it.

I've been using a combination of google maps and Trimble Outdoors Nav Pro, seems to work well

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
GPS hunt pro - I think it's $4.99. I don't know about aerials. He didn't have any loaded if it's even available. He loaded it right before the hunt. I believe he had access to everything out west for download. He didn't care about flat-land topo - google maps has aerial and topo free for that and you would have cell service to run that most places from the plains to east coast. I'll see what he knows about aerials and get back.

He says it has aerials but not sure if you can save to the phone or if you need data connection. Maybe you can find more info on Trimble site and report back.

blb078

WKR
Whisky,
I use BCN on my andriod, works great, just got done using it in WY w/no problems. The add ons you can buy make it even better, can get things like private/pub land boundaries, game units(except WY). I also have the Delorme topo maps loaded since I use InReach for andriod, they're not as good but will work.

amp713

WKR
I bought topo maps on a wing and have never needed an app again... It is the number one app in my opinion....

eleaf

FNG
I've used the iPhone as a GPS unit for years. It's great, and it allows me to keep the bigger handheld at home.

I've used TONS of different GPS apps, but I've found that the combination of MotionX GPS and Deer Scouter work the best. MotionX has tons of different types of maps that are easily switchable (various sat maps and various terrain maps), and you can download them before getting out of range. It does all of the functions any GPS unit will do. And it doesn't cost any more money after the initial purchase of super cheap (I think $2 or maybe $5). I tracked two separate hunts in November, set waypoints, etc. I also used it to track a 14 mile hike in Montana in 2010.

An app that I haven't had much time to work with but seems a must is the new PDF Maps. You can download GPS capable quads straight from the NPS/NFS (in fact, this is an exclusive partnership on mobile platforms).

If you get a larger external battery, you can recharge an iPhone 4-6 times.

brewer427

WKR
you can try onXmaps by the huntinggpsmaps guys. They've added a cpl more map types to the list they initially came out with.
Downside is no offline pc program to accompany the phone app.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/blog/hunt-app-iphone-ipad-announcement

I use this app all the time on my Iphone. I can select a designated area I'm going to be hunting in and download the satellite images and layers I want to my phone and have it even when I don't have cell service. The other great thing is as long as you stay within the downloaded area, it will show you exactly where your at via your gps signal. So if I'm in a new area and get turned around I can see where I'm at and where I need to go.

It does take up a lot of memory but I just delete it off my phone when I'm done, then download it again the next time I head back to the area.

Very handy and deffanently worth a look.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for OnXMaps. On top of what Brewer said I also like the Field Mode option which shuts down everything else on the phone to save battery while using the GPS. Worth every penny