What power (x) would you use at what distance?

If all of these are on a tripod and you just trying to find elk or deer what distance would you use these?
10x binos = what distance would you use this?
15x binos = what distance would you use these?
BTX with 65 or 85mm OBJ= what distance would you use these?
Single eye spotter?

Thanks for you input!

jkmoore3s

FNG
When I went to Kodiak island black tail hunting, we all took 10x binos and felt comfortable glassing a couple thousand yards as long as we were steady and took our time. We could see from one mountain to the next pretty clearly.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I use 10x42 Swaro for anything less than 3 mi. Elk I don’t need to judge but may pack solely for digiscope(STX85). I will carry spotter during deer if field judging is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have optics in all of the powers you mentioned. It is hard to put a definitive distance on each because glassing for a Coues Deer, mule deer and an Elk are a little different due to size/color of the animal, desert, timber, high country etc... In general(very general) I will use the following:
NL 10x 0-1700yds
SLC 15x 1500yds to 2 miles
BTX 85mm 1 mile+ usually 2-5miles also have the magnification extender to make it 50x
STX Spotter 65mm (least used big optic) used to judge critters after spotting them with either of my binos. If I have the BTX I will just throw the Mag Extender on and skip the STX. No need to Pirate Eye anything if you dont need to.
I will tailor my optics to what I am doing, sometimes only bringing only one, other times bring it all including 2 tripods.

Elkangle

WKR
With quality 10s you can scan out to a mile pluss for the obvious elk, you'll miss hard to find elk past 1000 yards

The crispness of the image plays a huge roll..I'd rather have awesome 12s then shit 15s.. I was more effective with 10 nls then with the 18x mavens...but then I got the 12 nls and nothings really been safe out to a couple miles...hard finds at a mile

I give the btx a 5 mile range when scouting on onX and using the radius tool..I dislike the btx in normal single canyon glassing in that 700-1500 yard range but will still use the btx or stx 85 under those distances when trying to really look into thick country but it's my last resort and as annoying as it is...will turn up animals

In the end just pack 10s,15s, btx and stx with 115 and 85 objectives and you'll be somewhat satisfied

OP
Y
I have optics in all of the powers you mentioned. It is hard to put a definitive distance on each because glassing for a Coues Deer, mule deer and an Elk are a little different due to size/color of the animal, desert, timber, high country etc... In general(very general) I will use the following:
NL 10x 0-1700yds
SLC 15x 1500yds to 2 miles
BTX 85mm 1 mile+ usually 2-5miles also have the magnification extender to make it 50x
STX Spotter 65mm (least used big optic) used to judge critters after spotting them with either of my binos. If I have the BTX I will just throw the Mag Extender on and skip the STX. No need to Pirate Eye anything if you dont need to.
I will tailor my optics to what I am doing, sometimes only bringing only one, other times bring it all including 2 tripods.
Thank you! So if you have good 10s and the BTX do you really need 15x binos?

Thank you! So if you have good 10s and the BTX do you really need 15x binos?
It really depends on your hunting style. I hunt a wide variety of stuff in multiple states so for me the answer is Yes! For you it may depend on a variety of factors including places you hunt, the critters you hunt, your hunting style and your budget.