Influencing voters

z987k

WKR
Thank you for sharing your view N8H! I am not a resident of Idaho, but have family here and have been hunting here for the last month, so while I am pretty familiar with the issue, I haven't heard from many people in support of it and am interested in that POV.

The open primaries is certainly the more appealing of the two. I think the benefit of open primaries is that it prevents the primary from becoming a race to the far ends of the respective party (which has caused a lot of bad candidate recruiting by both parties). It instead allows the most likely candidates to rise to the top and give voters better choices in the general election.

On the other hand, I think there are some issues with RCV (especially in how it is generally being used to take seats from Rs/the majority party, see Alaska), which is what makes prop 1 unlikely to pass in Idaho (just my guess). In my personal view, it just depends on if you care more about the open primaries, or helping the R party nationally and ensuring Rs (or whatever the majority party is) don't split votes while the minority party mass votes for one party.
RCV didn't take anything from the R's in Alaska. It's just that the R's decided to run a hilariously bad candidate that the majority of R's didn't even want, and so a bunch of R's voted D. They lost, as they should when you do that. It worked as designed. It's a good thing when parties are punished for bad candidates and bad policy, and things aren't just a us or them.
This time around, with a candidate that people actually like, they'll very likely win. The horror of having to run candidates people actually want to vote for instead of just pointing at the other said and saying look how bad they are.
If you think about RCV logically, what it tends to do is reward people in the middle at the expense of the extremes. While first past the post does the opposite.

One thing open primaries does is prevent defacto coups like we had with Kamala replacing Biden at the whim of the party. Because the party has no control of anything when it comes to the primary, who is running or the election. Political parties are anathema to democracy, so anything we can do to remove their power is a good thing.