In defense of Vortex optics

freddyG

WKR
I have been using the vortex viper hslr rifle scope for 6 years. It’s been awesome and completely reliable. Even after some knocks
How many rounds have been fired from under the scope? What chambering(s)? Genuinely curious.

KurtR

WKR
Got a pair of diamond backs 10 years ago or so and my kid has those now I upgraded to slc. I have a 6-24 hslr when they first came out just shy of a decade and killed a metric shit ton of stuff and shot some comps with it no problems. 8 years on my gen one big razor spotter it rides around in the pick up if its not in my pack and I have had no problems with that. Since getting the new dog havnt twisted a turret so maybe it shit the bed in last couple years and i dont know

I just looked back and it has been a decade got that scope September of 2013. Got the gun built that spring. been through a couple bbls

madcalfe

WKR
This is my favorite kind of post. You mean to tell me that you have the same lot of ammo/components as you had 20 years ago?

I primarily use H4350 and IMR4064. Changing from one lot of powder to another (very close lot numbers), my last zero moved .3 MIL Left, and .3 MIL down. That’s just changing one component, bullets, primers, brass was the same lot number. Not a small shift by any means.
well, when you're going for minute of pie plate no need to adjust. 😂

OP
100 others
I have been using the vortex viper hslr rifle scope for 6 years. It’s been awesome and completely reliable. Even after some knocks
How much elevation do you have left after zeroing? I had the same one and it was nothing but trouble. The turret was nearly maxed out even with a 20 MOA base so I sent it back, they said they “fixed” it and it had about 10 additional MOA of travel but it got mushy at the top and never returned to zero correctly if you hit the mushy clicks. Returned it again and they replaced the entire erector system. Same issue as before plus there was a bunch of dust on the internal lenses. They finally offered to give a full refund because the 44mm model was discontinued. I took the money and ran.

For context the same gun has worn three other scopes and none had the elevation issue. Turns out it’s pretty common on the HSLR’s and gen1 PST’s. I did really appreciate 1/2moa vertical clicks over 1/4 tho, I wish more scopes had that option.

TreeDog

FNG
I’ve had a viper 2.5-10 fog up internally on a hunt. My razor spotting scope lost its guts on a hunt. Sent it back and it needs sent back again. Have a pair of viper binos that are fine though. I personally won't spend anymore money at vortex.

OP
100 others
It's not as much as 1/2MOA but just go with MRAD scopes. The angular adjustment is larger and the fractions are easier.
I've used both extensively. The way I set up my rifles is a custom turret for elevation and 5mph wind chart for every 100y for holding with the reticle. Could work equally well with either measurement system but I'm already invested in MOA. The 1/2Min elevation is a better system for hunting with MOA tho, hunters don't need a 2.5" adjustment at 1000 yards.

jpmulk

WKR
How many rounds have been fired from under the scope? What chambering(s)? Genuinely curious.
I shoot a tikka t3x in 7mag. 162gn factory eldx. That set up with the vortex viper scope for the last six years. Gotten the job done from 30 to 500 yards on game including antelope up to a 370 inch bull. Just shot a group a few weekends ago that, when I was doing my part, was easy half moa.

Not sure on round count.

jpmulk

WKR
How much elevation do you have left after zeroing? I had the same one and it was nothing but trouble. The turret was nearly maxed out even with a 20 MOA base so I sent it back, they said they “fixed” it and it had about 10 additional MOA of travel but it got mushy at the top and never returned to zero correctly if you hit the mushy clicks. Returned it again and they replaced the entire erector system. Same issue as before plus there was a bunch of dust on the internal lenses. They finally offered to give a full refund because the 44mm model was discontinued. I took the money and ran.

For context the same gun has worn three other scopes and none had the elevation issue. Turns out it’s pretty common on the HSLR’s and gen1 PST’s. I did really appreciate 1/2moa vertical clicks over 1/4 tho, I wish more scopes had that option.
Not sure. I only typically shoot out to 700 for target. 500 on game. I’ve had plenty of room for my purposes.

jpmulk

WKR
I clean my hunting rifle once a year and that is after hunting season. I take it out of the stock and give everything a good wipe down. Then I took it out to the range and checked my zero at 100 yards. I did eight shots at 100. The first shot out of a cold clean barrel was a high left. After that, everything was inside of an inch. 6 of the bullets were touching or inside each other. One was a bit high right and I was aware I flinched that one. Still inside an inch though.

Based on the point of this thread though, the point is, the vortex scope performs perfectly. If the shot is off, it’s because my form was off. Not the scope, the gun, or the bullet.