In defense of Vortex optics

Just kidding, watch this video.

I've never seen this guys channel until this video, but he does a pretty good review. The amount of CA, distortion, and incorrect 1x magnification is astounding on the RZR, which is their top of the line model. I've used a strike eagle 1-8 on an AR and didn't have much to note, so I'm sure that individual scope isn't the optical quality they intended, but holy crap you think they'd at least peek through each scope once before sending it to their customers.

jpmulk

WKR
I’m a vortex fan. Maybe super elite hunters who want top of the line and have money want something better. But for middle class and most hunters, vortex products will do what you need them too. They are unmatched in their customer service. I’m not a brand loyalist. I have products from a lot of manufacturers. But vortex has always treated me right at affordable prices.

Geewhiz

WKR
I’m a vortex fan. Maybe super elite hunters who want top of the line and have money want something better. But for middle class and most hunters, vortex products will do what you need them too. They are unmatched in their customer service. I’m not a brand loyalist. I have products from a lot of manufacturers. But vortex has always treated me right at affordable prices.
Cant agrue with that

OP
100 others
I'm sure a lot of people send a lot of low-end to middle of the road scopes in for service, and Vortex is just one of many manufacturers that get caught up in the negativity based on those experiences alone. I dismiss most of those as "ya get what ya pay for", which is why some manufacturers don't even mess with sub $1k items. Not what the original post was about.

But for this to pass QC at $2500... come on.

If vortex would stay in their lane, I’d have no complaints. But they want to dip into the price range of top tier optics with lower tier products.

They are a good company for those who want useable products. But why would anyone pay $2500 for a Vortex when there’s so many top brands in that price range? Same as their binos and spotters. Why would someone pay the price for the UHD when there’s much better in that price range?

I drank the Rinella koolaid and bought 8 things from vortex - two dots, range finder, binos, spotting scope and 3 scopes (2 lower end for rimfire rigs). 3 have been back for warranty repair or replacement. I think if you get a good one, the value proposition is solid. If you get a lemon, less so. None of my failures ruined any big hunts but they could have. I have moved on to other scope and dot Brands. I run an Sig range finder. If I upgrade my optics, I will go with another brand.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
I've used/currently use a lot of Vortex product myself. I also own optics from several other manufacturers. I've been fortunate enough to harvest dozens of animals with my Vortex Optics with no issue. As a result, I'll continue to use their products and support their brand.

As an aside, they are the best run business in the hunting industry, IMO. And its not even close. A bunch of smart Wisconsin folks who are obsessed with their customers.

bunch of smart Wisconsin folks who are obsessed with their customers.
Maybe they should be obsessed with building higher quality products.

I remember buying binoculars from the store in Middleton way back before Vortex. The lifetime warranty sounded good. Had to send back 3 different pair. Still have them and they don't work right. Wonder if they would give me some Vortex if I sent them in again. Think they were Eagle back then.

I’m not a Vortex lover. But they definitely have a few products worth looking at depending on what you are doing.

Their tripod. Let’s say you pounded out 18 stands one night after working all day. You killed a triple and after dragging them to the truck, you leave the tripod leaning on the tire and back over it. Vortex is happy to send you another.

Cheap scopes/red dots for play weapons. When my kid closes the truck door on it I won’t care.

I’ve read good things about their ranging binos. I don’t follow every optics company warranty. But most don’t have more than 5 years on electronics. So if you are fine with the optical quality they are probably worth looking at.

Vortex actually listened and came out with a WMLRF that doesn’t cost a fortune. Idk how well they will work in the cold and if they actually hold zero since I don’t have one yet. But so far reports are decent.

Scope wise for serious stuff I will pass. A spotter or binos thrown in the work truck not a big deal if they get destroyed.

Mt Al

WKR
I've never used Vortex and have friends who swear by them. Plus, it seems like they've developed a fire control system (fancy phrase for some weapon optics now a days in DOD**) for the next gen squad weapon. I hope they won the award vs it being a plus up from an Wisconsin congressional. If so, extremely impressive.

My petty beef very early on w/Vortex was what appeared to me to be a blatant crap ton of the same message slightly reworded, then dumped on seemingly every hunting forum by influencers and dealers: "so close to Swarovski at less that half the price! Check it out!". To me, seemed like a cheezy marketing ploy just to get their brand associated with top end glass - with zero to back it up. They are what they are and should own it: good glass for the price, excellent customer service. But comparable to Swaro, Leica, etc.? Get real.

I'll go scream at clouds some more.

**remember when rifle stocks were called rifled stocks and now their chassis? Please prepare to drop the word "scope" and change to "fire control system". You have been warned.

Maybe they should be obsessed with building higher quality products.

I remember buying binoculars from the store in Middleton way back before Vortex. The lifetime warranty sounded good. Had to send back 3 different pair. Still have them and they don't work right. Wonder if they would give me some Vortex if I sent them in again. Think they were Eagle back then.
I would bet good money that they would.

OP
100 others
Please prepare to drop the word "scope" and change to "fire control system". You have been warned.
I freaking hope not. I’m not a fan of any device for hunting that requires you to point your gun at something to get a reading.

The vortex 1-10 is a super over rated optic. It was the first quality 1-10 to come out and combine that with the success and reliability of the 1-6 I think it got a lot more credit than it deserves.

I didn’t hate mine, but the eyebox was pretty awful above 6x which is common on a lot of LPVO’s. 1-6x the optic is exceptional, but above that if you aren’t absolutely perfectly center a lot of image distortion happens long before you totally lose the eyebox from head position and get blackout.

I’m sure that $250 Chinesium special is still far more of a piece of shit than the razor could ever be though.

I had a brand new razor hd lh 2-10 fail. Burned through a few boxes of ammo until I realized it was the scope. They were great about replacing it with a 3-15 LHT which I promptly sold and haven't looked back.

KenLee

WKR
If a piece of equipment fails after time and money expended to reach that point, I'm pissed. Doesn't matter that Vortex sends you another time bomb scope quickly and free.
My time and sanity is worth more than the extra $ to buy a good scope.

**remember when rifle stocks were called rifled stocks and now their chassis?
Rifle stocks and chassis aren't really words used interchangeably though. They're two different categories of rifle stock if you get technical but no one is calling their McMillan or Rokstock a chassis. And I don't think anyone is calling their XLR a stock.

Swaro - buy once, cry once!
I love Swaro binos and I hear their spotting scopes are amazing. But their rifle scopes have an equally or worse reputation than Vortex and Leupold.

As far as Vortex hate I always take it within context. There are a lot of well informed legitimate gripes when it comes to many Vortex lines of optics. I always found Vortex's value to be pretty good in their Razor lines of scopes (excluding LHT). I've owned a Razor Gen 1 5-20x56, Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56, and now a Razor Gen 3 6-36x56. I don't think anyone thinks of those scopes as hunting optics but for competition use or hunts where weight doesn't matter that much (pronghorn maybe?) they represent very good value.

I currently have a Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50 that if it wasn't a pain in the ass I would magically turn into a Trijicon 3-18x44 Tenmile FFP for peace of mind, even though my LHT has actually stood up to more abuse than it would have if I wasn't clumsy. And if my Razor Gen 3 ever gives me problems it'll get sold and I'll buy a Nightforce ATACR. I just took a swing on the Razor G3 because of the zero-stop system, the non-rotating ocular, and better optical quality. I'm not fanatically married to the brand though.

I have quite a number of Vortex products from high to low end, and I would define them as useable, and value-oriented. When the stakes are high though, such as for home defense, or a cross country/safari hunt you pay $5k for, I don't think it makes sense to use their higher-tier products because there are so many better options. I will shout out to the quality of the Vortex Razor Gen 1 spotting scope in 20-60-80mm based on current pricing (~$800). This has been around for a few years now and cannot be beat for the price to me. I ordered many spotting scopes in this price range and it was hands down the best mechanically and optically.