Im going Tarp Bivy this year. Give me you tips and tricks

Don’t use the tiny Linelocs if expecting any kind of weather, the Lineloc 3’s are still pretty light and haven’t ever had any issues with them loosening or letting go.

I always had good luck with taut-line hitches instead of any sort of lineloc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A floorless canopy shelter is a great middle ground between a tarp and a double wall tent, whether trekking pole-supported or freestanding. You don't have to fiddle around with different tarp setups and they use material more efficiently so they're actually lighter than a flat tarp that covers equivalent area. I own the Slingfin Splitwing and the Black Diamond Beta Lite 2P. I use a bug bivy under the first one when I need it and the second has perimeter mosquito netting, which is nice because it unlocks the total floor area under the tent.

This is good advice to OP. Tarptent also makes some great floorless canopys. Or a Kifaru Supertarp. For early season CO, run and gun as light and simple as possible, it’d be a solid option. If it was me, I probably wouldn’t even use the bivy in that scenario, but something like the OR Helium would be a good choice. Basically just a bug barrier, or some extra juice if the temps start dropping. If the sky is clear, you wouldn’t even need to setup the canopy.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
This is good advice to OP. Tarptent also makes some great floorless canopys. Or a Kifaru Supertarp. For early season CO, run and gun as light and simple as possible, it’d be a solid option. If it was me, I probably wouldn’t even use the bivy in that scenario, but something like the OR Helium would be a good choice. Basically just a bug barrier, or some extra juice if the temps start dropping. If the sky is clear, you wouldn’t even need to setup the canopy.

I addressed this in my previous longer post. I have floorless canopy (Seek Outside Eolus) and Ive used it extensively both with an inner nest, bivy, and just tyvek. If you reread that post youll see why Im considering taking a tarp instead and what bivy Im taking and why.

tttoadman

WKR
I see some discussion on guylines. I have 24" long loops on all my small shelters. You can choke around a log or a big rock with ease. in good weather, I can set up nice and high for comfort.

rclouse79

WKR
I used flat tarps a lot of trips and thought they were awesome. After my first tarp trip with truly unfavorable weather conditions I ended up selling most of the tarps I had. If you carry trekking poles the Durston mid x 1 would be hard to beat in my opinion. Leave the nest at home if it is outside tick season and you have a very lightweight storm worthy shelter.
Regardless of the type of tarp or tarp-tent, my tip would be to put a heavy rock on the stakes so they don’t pull out in the wind. I would also make sure your bivy sac is well vented. It doesn’t matter if it keeps water out if you are soaking it from the inside.
I tried a trip where I left the tarp and home and slept in a regular bivy. There was no rain and I woke up soaked and cold. I sold it immediately. I had Borah Gear make a custom bivy with a 3 inch wide piece of bug netting running down the middle. It gives protection from bugs and critters as well as any rain that might blow in under your tarp. The best part is zero condensation.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
When I run this setup I’m usually on the move with camp on my back. So I will bring the largest pack I own for extra cubic inches of space. I deflate my pad and just start stuffing my sleep system in the bottom of my pack. (Sleeping bag, bivy, sleeping pad, and tarp) this provides filler to the bottom of my bag and makes it to where I roll camp up in 5 minutes and I’m ready to get on the move againS I typically only camp like this during archery season then opt for a larger shelter once the temps start dropping or weather is forecasted. I will say I’ve slept under my tarp in some heavy rain and woke up the next day completely dry.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had condensation issues with the pinion bivy. I purchased an MLD bug bivy last year and have been dry since. I have only used the bivy and tarp setup in good weather when solo and the weight savings has been worth it. In regards to tips all I can offer is that site selection is the more of an issue than I considered.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
When I run this setup I’m usually on the move with camp on my back. So I will bring the largest pack I own for extra cubic inches of space. I deflate my pad and just start stuffing my sleep system in the bottom of my pack. (Sleeping bag, bivy, sleeping pad, and tarp) this provides filler to the bottom of my bag and makes it to where I roll camp up in 5 minutes and I’m ready to get on the move againS I typically only camp like this during archery season then opt for a larger shelter once the temps start dropping or weather is forecasted. I will say I’ve slept under my tarp in some heavy rain and woke up the next day completely dry.
This is precisely the advantage I see to a tarp bivy setup in archery season chasing down elk. Gone in five minutes just stuffing everything in the pack as one.