Im going Tarp Bivy this year. Give me you tips and tricks

shwacker

FNG
I think tarps can be fun because I enjoy setting them up... most of the time. Cold, wet, dark, tired, not as fun but what is at that point?

Some good advice up thread. Be aware that some of the ultra thin and stiff cord will not make it through very many trucker hitches/slip knots. Just depends on the sheath material.

Limited staking can become an issue also. And stretch in nylon can cause some problems.

My favorite pitch is A frame between trees. I don't think I've ever done any of the neat and fancy pitches you see in the guides, but I'm almost always set up off rocks or trees. Some pretty long or extra cord can be really helpful. Which stakes and how to avoid destroying them is key.

It is hard to beat hanging out in a tarp in the wilderness in a light rain with a view, cooking up hot beverages.

Edit: I shouldn’t have said “any” on my first post, but rather “many” tarp bivy setups.

What tarp/bivy are you running? When I was using tarp/bivy hard, my all-in weight was always hovering around that 3lb mark, including enough stakes/guyline for all my pitches. I’m sure it can be done for lighter by going with smaller tarps, and lighter bivy sacks, but I hunt in some pretty gnarly places weather wise. By the time I had a tarp/bivy system bulletproofed enough to trust, I was pretty close to the weight of an Akto. Also, I can pitch that Akto in about 1 minute 30 seconds, in wet weather and its dry inside. All depends on where you’re hunting, what the weather patterns are like, how exposed the camp sites tend to be, ect ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most tarp setups are much heavier than 12oz,there are expensive exceptions obviously .
If your tarp and bivy is 12 oz it’s either very expensive or small or both.
I do enjoy setting up a tarp sometimes just to chill under or during kayak camping.

Beendare

WKR
I suppose I should qualify my comment that disses the tarp thing....

I like a tarp for summer camping in the right location. I don't like the bivy sacks as the condensation inside soaks my good down bag. If you do a bivy that is larger with air space and air flow- that might be OK....but then why even bother?

I am assuming most guys use these setups for hunts. In the mountains, we can get some pretty severe weather...and its a PITA if your setup is soaked or blowing snow.

I can remember my last Bivy experience well even though it was over 20 years ago. I backpacked in to the Weiminche wilderness to meet some buddies that were horsebacked in- early archery elk season. I wanted to go light so I took the Bivy. I didn't even have my bow as I had tagged out in another spot over by Durango a couple days prior.

I hiked in heavy Rain and then snow for 9 miles almost not being able to find them. I set it up beneath a dense low Conifer because it was a dang blizzard at 10,500. My buddies had been tent bound for 2 days straight. Mice chewed a couple holes in my Bivy and with blowing snow on my Bivy bag that melted and leaked in and pooled against my bag then froze solid. That 3rd night was rough getting into a 20% frozen bag, lucky it wasn't my Down bag- instead my Syn bag and it warmed up even when wet.....and that was the first week of September.

I've had other cases where my Down bag did get soaked from the condensation inside the Bivy.

Those kinds of things just don't happen with a tipi or UL tent......though you sometimes get a little condensation on the tent itself.

BBob

WKR
If you do a bivy that is larger with air space and air flow- that might be OK....but then why even bother?
An MLD Superlight bivy has a breathable top and a DCF bottom and sides so it doesn’t get condensation inside but it keeps the bag dry from spray or rain runoff. I believe some of the Borah bivy’s are similar. Using a bivy like the Superlight out in the open with heavy dew like you can get early season the bag will get wet. For me my Superlight works hand in hand with the tarp.

I’ll add I used to use various Bibler bivy’s that were ToddTex. Never had condensation issues ever in any conditions. They were heavy though. I still have a Bibler Hooped bivy and a Tripod bivy but they haven’t been used in years.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
An MLD Superlight bivy has a breathable top and a DCF bottom so it doesn’t get condensation inside but keeps the bag dry from spray or rain runoff. I believe some of the Borah bivy’s are similar. But using a bivy like the Superlight out in the open with heavy dew like you can get early season the bag will get wet. For me my Superlight works hand in hand with the tarp.

I’ll add I used to use various Bibler bivy’s that were ToddTex. Never had condensation issues ever in any conditions. They were heavy though. I still have a Bibler Hooped bivy and a Tripod bivy but they haven’t been used in years.
Yeah, I know there are supposed to be some good Bivy's, I've only tried a couple.

I had a coated silnylon- junk...and a Gore tex model but it's been so long I can't remember what it was.

My problems might be derived from; I sleep warm, and give off a lot of moisture it seems- my wife is the polar opposite never a problem with the same bivy while mine will have a layer of moisture on the inside.

I got condensation inside regularly in almost all conditions...or maybe it was just the moisture couldn't get out...I'm not sure what caused it.

tttoadman

WKR
I messed with a bivy and tarp setup but couldnt stand the confinement and the condensation. If you have a bivy and a tarp why not just do one of these??
1. trek pole floored tent like 6 moons lunar solo or a tarptent.
2. center pole tarp with a nest

I loved my copper spur, but it cant handle any snow load with that flat top.

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve been using a tarp and bivy year round for a few years now. I’ve never had a combo more than 32 ounces, and have generally stayed under 20 ounces. That said, I’ve had my fill of the bivy life. I’m going to keep a DST for winter backpacking, but the bivy is most useful to me in summer to keep bugs out. I think I’d rather have the space of a two pound shelter than the weight savings of my current one pound tarp+Bivy combo.

Highly recommended Lawson Glowire for your tarp, and carry a couple of stakes for the Bivy in case you have to pitch on an incline. I like the plowpoint, a-frame, and half mid pitches depending on the tarp I’m using and the expected weather.

A floorless canopy shelter is a great middle ground between a tarp and a double wall tent, whether trekking pole-supported or freestanding. You don't have to fiddle around with different tarp setups and they use material more efficiently so they're actually lighter than a flat tarp that covers equivalent area. I own the Slingfin Splitwing and the Black Diamond Beta Lite 2P. I use a bug bivy under the first one when I need it and the second has perimeter mosquito netting, which is nice because it unlocks the total floor area under the tent.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I rarely use a bivy when using a tarp for a shelter--my sleeping bags and tarps seem to shed light moisture and i get condensation in the bivy. I'm enjoying the critical look at the tarp/bivy set up. For me, the big value of tarp over tent isn't weight alone, it is to have an expansive and well-ventilated area under cover from rain and sun, not to try to recreate a more buttoned up tent w the tarp (though i guess it is good to know you can if you need to). I find it really useful and pleasant to have that protected but open real estate. Not to complicate things, but these days, when its not too cold, I like to camp in a hammock but with a much bigger than necessary tarp to get the same effect. Again, not saving weight over some other viable options, but it is all trade-offs and that gets me a bug-free, extremely comfortable place to sleep and a big "front porch" of tarp overhang for protection from the rain and sun.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a former tarp/bivy user, my tips are use longed stakes (I prefer 9” stakes) and enough stakes for bad weather. Good guy lines, not the lightest.

Make sure the tarp is large enough; a 5x7’ poncho tarp is ultralight and works fine in good weather- you’ll suffer (or worse) in bad.

Practice your pitches at home. A-frame and plow point is what I used most often.

You’ll find that half the battle of tarp/bivy camping is selecting the right site.

I’ll occasionally still use a tarp/bivy with the right forecast, but it’s becoming pretty rare with the abundance of light and robust tents available these days.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Everyone thank you so much for you input. This has become a great thread. It occurs to me that I should have been a bit more specific about my use case.

I am helping a buddy who drew a great archery elk tag this year. The plan is to be light and mobile. We will be between 9k and timberline in CO.

Last year, I carried a Gunnison tarp with me day hunting and I couldn't believe how nice and handy it was for getting out of a quick afternoon shower or sitting under during the hot afternoons waiting on elk or glassing. Thats really what got me thinking about running the DST.

I currently have multiple shelters including, a Redcliff, Cimmarron, Eolus, and DST. Ive ran the Eolus most in Archery season and have been very happy with it. The Eolus and DST virtually weigh the same but the DST is more versatile.

Currently our plan is I will run the DST and my buddy will run his Eolus. Both of us bought the Pinion Bivy. We will cowboy camp in our bivys on nice weather nights so that in the morning we can just pull the plug on our pads and roll the whole kit up and be gone in minutes if need be. The DST will be used in the chance of showers or rain and we would throw all of our gear under it if the weather really gets bad and both ride it out in his Eolus.

I will still have the Eolus and maybe even the Cimmarron at the truck so I can make a game time decision if the weather looks like it warrants.

As far as setups, Im curious about the plow point in breezy conditions? Also curious what people like in flatout windy conditions? Most likely Im going to run 6 removable/movable Linelocs on the shelter with around 8 ft of guyline attached to each and bring a minimum of 8 stakes. Last year I really liked the speed of a lineloc and a Falconers knot around a tree to setup the tarp. Its unconventional I know, especially knot wise, but it worked great last year. A Falconers knot is awesome if you dont know it, It ties one handed, can be made 100% secure, and can be easily untied by pulling the tag end with one hand when ready to go.

This could just be the arrogance of never running a full flat tarp before, but seeing how many backpackers run them in Norhtern UK, like Dartmoore etc., I struggle to see how I cant make one work in heavy wind or weather with some practice.

Another option would be to just carry some extra weight and run the Eolus and the Gunnison tarp for day time coverage. Im not carrying a weapon so that really wouldnt be that big of a deal.

As far as bivys and condensation goes, the complaints surprised me. I guess this could just be because everyones idea of a bivy is different. Ive run the old jimmy tarps bivy years ago and I never had issues with condensation, just didnt like the size and design as much. The Katabatic Pinion is similar with a larger mesh panel that comes down to near waist height. I like it more though because of the size and ability to pitch it/tie it up on the tarp or treking poles. Its a water proof bottom and breathable top with panel on the sides and head to block drafts. Draft blocking is my main want. In the Eolus, I would just run a piece of tyvek but on windy nights even with a low pitch, it could get chilly from drafts. Im also just tired of waking up with spiders and forest friends on me. The Pinion weighs essentially the same as a piece of tyvek and keeps my whole sleep system togther for packing so really its a no brainer.

Im definitely open to more criticism and options. Great thread so far.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
As a former tarp/bivy user, my tips are use longed stakes (I prefer 9” stakes) and enough stakes for bad weather. Good guy lines, not the lightest.

Make sure the tarp is large enough; a 5x7’ poncho tarp is ultralight and works fine in good weather- you’ll suffer (or worse) in bad.

Practice your pitches at home. A-frame and plow point is what I used most often.

You’ll find that half the battle of tarp/bivy camping is selecting the right site.

I’ll occasionally still use a tarp/bivy with the right forecast, but it’s becoming pretty rare with the abundance of light and robust tents available these days.
Whats your favorite guyline for tarps?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I use 2.5 or 3MM reflective accessory cord from Amazon. the 3mm is overkill but it doesn't tangle as much as lighter. I read your post above and still think it is worth adding a version of a trucker's hitch to your knot options because of the mechanical advantage for getting things taut and ease of setting up and breaking down.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
I dont disagree on the truckers hitch. I know it and all the other common knots, prusik etc. I still want to hear the rest of that bear story @Clovis

Drenalin

WKR
The Pinion bivy is a good option. I had a little more condensation in it than I've had with a Borah bivy, but there were other factors at play - camped ~50 yards from water, and pulled the quilt up over my head for part of the night. I've never had any significant condensation in a breathable bivy like the Katabatic or Borah options that wasn't my own doing, but something like an MSS bivy bag or the like is basically a condensation magnet.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Fortunately, it was a not much beyond what i mentioned. I had set up in what i realized later was kind of a natural funnel--a dumb place to camp. I woke up in the middle of the night to a bear woofing and agitated pretty close in front of me. I assume it didn't have the wind and just walked up on me and got surprised. I yelled, grabbed the bear spray and turned on my headlamp and it went away. I didn't see it. I don't know if it was a grizzly or a black bear but that area was thick with grizzlies so much that I eventually stopped hunting there. I went right back to sleep but then was a little spooked for the rest of the trip in the night. After that I started to build the deadfall structures so something wouldn't accidentally walk into my set-up (wouldn't stop anything that wanted in) but my big issue there was location--it was the only flat spot i could find and i think it was on a natural travel corridor.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t use the tiny Linelocs if expecting any kind of weather, the Lineloc 3’s are still pretty light and haven’t ever had any issues with them loosening or letting go.