I’m glad western hunting is complicated.

j_volt

WKR
At times, it feels the perceived complication is what keeps people coming back. Once you are in the western hunting cult, the only way out is in a box.

Tod osier

WKR
I have resident friends that can't figure out the drawing, and yes they're the ones complaining that NR get all the tags. I've tried to help them out but sometimes the people that think they know it all, will continue to struggle. But every year I hear them complain that they can't draw in the units they hunt, even though they could draw every year if they did it correctly.

I've had that same conversation with residents that "apply every year, yet never draw" and then are confused or frustrated that as a non resident I apply and get a tag (not considering multiple years of preference points and lots more $$$$).

FNG
I see things opposite. I dislike it all really, and wish YT would disappear, but see the content and adventure story stuff far less off putting than the draw how-to stuff. Sorry you resemble this remark, but that’s the stuff that directly makes deciphering the process too easy, kills drawing odds and clogs our woods. We had adventure stories long before the internet in magazine form. The West and its allure has always been out there. It’s the internet how-to’s that broke down that barrier. In your case, if you and/or your wife wanted it bad enough, all the info you needed is/was already out there provided to you for free by your state’s F&G Dep. The access and the information has always been out there, rewarding those dedicated enough to find it. You didn’t need YouTube, it just made it easier for you and shortened the learning curve. Now multiply that by thousands, and here we are.
I can see the perspective you are coming from.
I certainly agree that YouTube, social media in general contributes greatly to the amount of hunters that are on the landscape, but such is the world we live in.

To be frank, certain people learn differently, and yes, while the info was out there, and you could find it, I just don't see why it would be considered wrong or considered to be making things too easy to have a video online, explaining things in a general sense. After seeing such videos, I was able to cross reference that with what the "draw odds, drawn out at, " tables said. To be frank it still takes me time to read through those things lol.

Not saying this is the right way to learn, just stating my experience.

Stickmark

FNG
Have a good friend who thought he could buy a temporary, like 14 day hunt license, instead of the full year non-resident tag for an AZ mulie deer hunt. I kept telling him over the phone....
He learned the hard way. I guess we all do, on one thing or another.

Probably would have been better to hunt jackrabbits and coyotes, see the lay of the areas, and save $$$, and recon for a deer hunt later.
That land feature known as the Great Plains is as a formidable an obstacle as the reg's per western state.

SDHNTR

WKR
Have a good friend who thought he could buy a temporary, like 14 day hunt license, instead of the full year non-resident tag for an AZ mulie deer hunt. I kept telling him over the phone....
He learned the hard way. I guess we all do, on one thing or another.

Probably would have been better to hunt jackrabbits and coyotes, see the lay of the areas, and save $$$, and recon for a deer hunt later.
That land feature known as the Great Plains is as a formidable an obstacle as the reg's per western state.
I got you beat. I have a friend who drew a really good AZ elk tag last year and never knew it. He didn’t pay attention, never noticed the card hit, never checked online and claims he never got the tag in the mail. He only found out when he went to apply this year. Idiot!

Lytro

WKR
Yep, walking into walmart the day before elk season in Colorado sure is tough. It really weeds out the amateurs.

I can’t believe you think otherwise!
Hunt the Midwest or Eastern states. You’ll find out how much room you truly have to roam and hunt in the West. It’s not uncommon to have 15-20 guys hunting a 300 acre plot of public. And even in places like that Whitetails continue to exist.

Trust me, Elk and Mule deer aren’t in danger of extinction. Cant believe that you believe otherwise.

SDHNTR

WKR
Hunt the Midwest or Eastern states. You’ll find out how much room you truly have to roam and hunt in the West. It’s not uncommon to have 15-20 guys hunting a 300 acre plot of public. And even in places like that Whitetails continue to exist.

Trust me, Elk and Mule deer aren’t in danger of extinction. Cant believe that you believe otherwise.
No thanks.

And I’m not getting into a pissing match. No correlation can be drawn to whitetail hunting. You’re gonna lose that argument around here buddy.

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR

So should we have more unlimited mule deer tags OTC because hunting white tails on public land sounds awful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
What’s funny is a lot of us who “learned the hard way”, myself included, just didn’t have a YouTube video around when we started. I gladly would have watched a video on my cell phone to tell me what I need to do. But, there was no such thing as a cell phone. I would have used any shortcut I could have. I’d bet any one of you who thinks it’s too easy now would have used those resources if they were available. I can still hunt with my old Bear Whitetail II but I prefer my newer Elite. Things change, deal with it. I’ll gladly accept every new hunter who wants to start and wish them well. Before too long the title of this thread could be “Remember when we got to apply for tags and go hunting”

So should we have more unlimited mule deer tags OTC because hunting white tails on public land sounds awful?

How it sounds to you is irrelevant.

Whether or not there is enough game or land to hunt out West is the question. Bottom line, there is plenty of both.

If you’d like to make the argument Elk and land is scarce by all means, lay out your argument and change my mind? I’m all ears and always welcome a good discussion contrary to what i believe so have at it.

No thanks.

And I’m not getting into a pissing match. No correlation can be drawn to whitetail hunting. You’re gonna lose that argument around here buddy.
You do realize you can hunt Whitetails out West right?

Btw, there are plenty of Elk and Mule Deer to hunt as well as vast places to chase them. There is no argument to lose. Well unless you’re arguing Mule Deer and Elk as well as the land to hunt them are becoming scarce? That’s not a winnable argument.

cmahoney

WKR
How it sounds to you is irrelevant.

Whether or not there is enough game or land to hunt out West is the question. Bottom line, there is plenty of both.

If you’d like to make the argument Elk and land is scarce by all means, lay out your argument and change my mind? I’m all ears and always welcome a good discussion contrary to what i believe so have at it.

Midwest white tail hunting is the irrelevant topic here.

Elk? I thought you said animals. Elk are doing good in most places but they wouldn’t be if we made everything OTC. What about mule deer?

What is your proposal for allotting tags since there are plenty of animals to go around?

Last edited: