I’m glad western hunting is complicated.

cnelk

WKR
Back to the original topic of the thread....

All statewide OTC hunts (rifle + archery) in Colorado have seen an increase of over 24% by non-residents, from 35,818 in 2014 to 44,409 in 2021.

wapitibob

WKR

All statewide OTC hunts (rifle + archery) in Colorado have seen an increase of over 24% by non-residents, from 35,818 in 2014 to 44,409 in 2021.

Put nr unit/zone caps in place. Absolute insanity to allow an unlimited number of nr to hunt a singular otc unit if they chose to do so.

Overdrive

WKR
Game manager numbers are estimates no doubt. But they are much closer to actual than your anecdotal observations.

If you actually think Elk are endangered and over hunted because their estimates are wrong why are you buying tags then?
Never said the Elk are endangered, but the overall herds are down in several areas. And when CPW is using their herd estimates as marketing to sell licenses this causes more harm to the herds. I'm still waiting on CPW to give numbers of elk on Public vs Private, never get a response from them on that question. But it's more than clear that their marketing has worked on you and many others. You don't have to take my word for it, I only live in elk country and watch the herds daily, especially during winter months and calving season. Then I spend the summer scouting and the Fall guiding.

I buy tags because they're cheap, I can get 2 elk tags for around $125 so who wouldn't do that for some meat to fill a freezer. I also put my own restrictions on myself because I've taken many elk. If I shoot a cow I only hunt for big bull's, I will only shoot a bull if it's a 6pt or bigger and if I fill that tag first I don't fill my cow tag.

OP
B

CO OTC is clearly an exception to the “it’s complicated” thing IMO.

That said with dozens of different units, some being draw, some being OTC, four different seasons, different “hunt codes” etc is still not nearly as straightforward as most states out east.

Most guys out east are used to buying a license, a tag, and quick check to see how many deer they can kill in their respective county and call it good.

Never said the Elk are endangered, but the overall herds are down in several areas. And when CPW is using their herd estimates as marketing to sell licenses this causes more harm to the herds. I'm still waiting on CPW to give numbers of elk on Public vs Private, never get a response from them on that question. But it's more than clear that their marketing has worked on you and many others. You don't have to take my word for it, I only live in elk country and watch the herds daily, especially during winter months and calving season. Then I spend the summer scouting and the Fall guiding.

I buy tags because they're cheap, I can get 2 elk tags for around $125 so who wouldn't do that for some meat to fill a freezer. I also put my own restrictions on myself because I've taken many elk. If I shoot a cow I only hunt for big bull's, I will only shoot a bull if it's a 6pt or bigger and if I fill that tag first I don't fill my cow tag.
Is there something that prevents an Elk from walking from Private over to public? I’m not aware of any state that gives estimates of just the animals living on public land.

Just cause you believe the Elk numbers are down in your area doesn’t mean it’s true. They may just be in areas you don’t have access to. It’s pretty universal across every state in the US that there are better numbers and better quality of any big game animal on private land vs public.

OP
B
I agree! Genuinely asking here. How do I balance helping a co-worker out who puts no effort in for himself ? But is always just asking me for the answers?
I’d send him a link to the regs, politely explain that figuring things out on his own is part of the journey, and that it’s going to mean more when it all comes together and he figured it out on his own.

Most states really have excellent resources, it just takes a little bit more digging than go hunt, etc.

Overdrive

WKR
Is there something that prevents an Elk from walking from Private over to public? I’m not aware of any state that gives estimates of just the animals living on public land.

Just cause you believe the Elk numbers are down in your area doesn’t mean it’s true. They may just be in areas you don’t have access to. It’s pretty universal across every state in the US that there are better numbers and better quality of any big game animal on private land vs public.
So how many times have you hunted Colorado?
Or is it too complicated like the thread title suggests?

This statement shows a lack of understanding and lack of knowledge. Just think and look at the increase in RESIDENT population in CO. It's not hard to discern that more residents = more recreation = more hunters. The people not hunting but using the mtns as recreation areas effect the herds, the shed hunters affect the herds, and yep, hunting affects the herds. How could there not be any effect on the herds with all that increase, plus all the other posts on this thread of non resident hunting increase?

Still lots of elk in CO, but numbers are definitely different.
Actually, your comment shows a lack of understanding of what i said in my comment.

Read it again and think about if i ever say there aren’t more people, more hunters, etc. (I didnt). Think about if i ever said that humans are having no impact on animals (I didnt)

One thing youre right on, lots of Elk in CO. Glad you agree with me as that’s what essentially what I DID say in my comment.

So how many times have you hunted Colorado?
Or is it too complicated like the thread title suggests?
Too complicated because the CPW doesn’t literally go out and actually count the exact number of animals on public land so no way of figuring out if there are animals to hunt or not.

It’s further complicated in the fact the animals move back and forth from private to public. Enough to make a guys head spin.

Overdrive

WKR
Too complicated because the CPW doesn’t literally go out and actually count the exact number of animals on public land so no way of figuring out if there are animals to hunt or not.

It’s further complicated in the fact the animals move back and forth from private to public. Enough to make a guys head spin.
Not what I asked

How many times have you hunted Colorado?

Or is it too complicated to figure out how to hunt Colorado/out west? That's what the thread suggested.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I agree with this. I think it’s a good level of complicated. The folks who want to figure it out will either pay to have it explained to them through GOHUNT or do their own research and sift through YouTube, online forums, and government regs to figure it out. And to those who say it isn’t complicated, I guarantee that is because you are from that area. Those like me who are from out east do not have to deal with regulations and draws like those out west. I bought a lifetime license and can hunt anything I want as long as it’s in season without buying any tags and not killing over the limit. It is foreign to us, and those who are serious about it do still have to wade through lots of obstacles to make it happen. But it’s a great thing! It keeps a lot of the guys who just want to fart around away from the guys who are serious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
@SuperDUECE22, that email from NM came while I was typing my post. Who in their right mind waits till the last day😂.
IDK why people wait till the last minute either. Was that way for AZ last month, and then they gripe about the website slow, overloaded, etc. Then they say they wait till the last day, in order to beat the system, and get two app periods for one price. News Flash: the system lets you pick the day you want the license to start. That feature is always there, it didn’t mysteriously appear on the last day. Like said above, some people don’t bother to help themselves, read instructions, etc.

I agree, should be karma for the procrastinators. The website was fine when i applied 3 weeks ago...... what is my reward? Instead, we reward the complainers who can't get their $hit together. Part of me also thinks these state game & fish agencies need to up their game as well. With the amount of money being spent they should be able to upgrade their servers to handle high traffic.

These SEVEN P's goes out to the states IT departments and the procrastinating applicants:

Pre
Prior'd
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor

Performance