If you had to start over....

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
....but you keep all the knowledge and experience you have gained:

What would your beginner reloading setup be?

Ill be reloading 6.5creed and some 308 to start, maybe 223/556 and 270 later.

I plan to do some LR comp with the 6.5, not serious so not thousands of rounds a year, so a single stage should be fine.

TaperPin

WKR
Keep in mind marketing wants you to believe in every kitchen gadget, the ShamWow, pocket fishing rod, and fancy reloading gear.

It’s hard to go wrong with a Rock Chucker combo kit, or the same basic single stage package from Redding or Hornady. You’ll never wear out the press and even top accuracy shooters still use these presses, so you’ll never outgrow it.

You don’t know what comfort items make sense for you until you’ve loaded a while. Most extras make things easier, not really better. It’s like buying your very first pickup - until you drive one a while there’s no way to tell if an extra cab or long/short bed fit you better.

Unless your rifle is capable of sub 1/2 moa accuracy just the very basic set up, including basic full length dies, is all you need.

I’d go so far as saying a basic setup is essential to teach the basics. I know dozens of guys who don’t know how to figure out shoulder bump or seating depth without a gizmo. When the basic technique of smoking a bullet to find the lands isn’t learned, there is no double check of the gizmo that is supposed to simplify the measurement.

huntnful

WKR
Single Stage MEC
Frankford Arsenal prep center
Hornady Powder thrower
Mandrel die and mandrels
Good FL dies
Redding Imperial Case lube
21st Century Moly Lube for inside neck
SAC comparator gauges
Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer
Drill with nylon brush for brushing necks

You could load excellent ammo with just the above. And I have a pile more expensive crap that isn't necessary.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I think the only gadgety, splurge item I would consider is something like the Hornady Autocharge simply for increased speed.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I would do exactly what I did when I started. I didn’t make the easy mistake and buy a kit. I actually bought what I wanted from the start and didn’t have to upgrade my kit later.

Weldor

WKR
Hollywood Jr.
Redding thrower
Hornady beam scale
Frankfort loading blocks
Hornady custom dies.
Lyman case prep center

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Probably would have skipped the Lee classic loader and got a press. I would have kept the Lee press for decapping. Would go straight for Redding Die Wax.
Would have started with new, quality brass.

seand

WKR
RCBS kit. Add a case kicker and a second powder thrower (lee perfect for stick powder, rcbs for ball powder).

The Hornady auto thrower, or any of the auto dispensers are slow as hell compared to just dumping powder into the case direct from the powder measure.

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
Knowing what I know now, if I had to start over again, I’d be right where I am with the gear I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Buy tools that make things fast, while being consistent. Tools that do multiple steps in one are huge time savers.

Things I wouldn’t give up,

Giraud trimmer, trim chamfer debur in one step.

SAC modular dies with expanding decapper. One pull decaps, expands and sizes.

V4 auto trickler. Mainly for speed.

All depends on what you’re doing. If your going to shoot precision rifle matches loading with dated/manual equipment becomes a pain real fast.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
Knowing what I know now, I'd go high end for everything. If you can afford it, there's no downside to using good stuff. Dillon 550 Basic Loader (could be used as single stage, but I would do 2 or 3 operations at the same time), SAC FL die with expander mandrel, AMP annealer, AMP arbor style press, Wilson or SAC in-line seater die, Ingenuity Precision powder system, Lee APP press for seating primers, Lee Quick Trim die modified, SAC headspace and bullet comparators, calipers.

jimh406

WKR
I wouldn't buy a single stage for competition or to shoot reloads a lot. Instead, I'd buy a good progressive press. You'll save a ton of time and the time you shoot up hundreds if not thousands of rounds, it's going to be just a small part of your cost.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
Knowing what I know now, I'd go high end for everything. If you can afford it, there's no downside to using good stuff. Dillon 550 Basic Loader (could be used as single stage, but I would do 2 or 3 operations at the same time), SAC FL die with expander mandrel, AMP annealer, AMP arbor style press, Wilson or SAC in-line seater die, Ingenuity Precision powder system, Lee APP press for seating primers, Lee Quick Trim die modified, SAC headspace and bullet comparators, calipers.

If I didn't know what I know now, I'd probably get an RCBS single stage press, a Chargemaster, no annealer, regular RCBS FL die set, Hornady comparators, calipers, RCBS trimmer, RCBS hand priming tool.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
For a noncompetition guy Im happy with
  • Single stage press
  • Handprimer
  • Chargemaster lite
  • Frankford trimmer/prepper
  • Basic hornady dies
  • Comparators and cheap tumbler

It's all I have and I want for nothing. Only shoot 500-1000 rnds a year

Digital scale/trickler was the first, best upgrade. Next was the trimmer/prepper

For thousands of rounds a year, a progressive press would be the next swap Id make

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Rcbs rock chucker
Rcbs hand primer
Rcbs match master dies
Rcbs bullet puller
Rcbs universal de capping die
Rcbs charge master lite
Hornady oal guage