New To Reloading - Where to Splurge

SwiftShot

WKR
A few things I wish I had purchased way sooner.

1. Quick load, I wish I had purchased it earlier. It is an amazing program with just about every powder and bullet you could think of. Gordon Reloading Tool is another option that is free but Quick Load is just awesome.

2. Expanding Mandrels help set neck tension. Just awesome.

3. Redding Bullet Seating Micrometer W/VLD #7 Seat Plug https://a.co/d/6KMM0Fn
Makes tuning stuff so much easier.

Make sure your press has a light on it.

JD Jones

WKR
Some things I’d get right away/consider.

Bullet puller- must have in my mind
Mandrels for neck tension- must have in my mind
SAC neck bushings and a set of nice dies for your caliber(s) of choice
Nice set of calipers (mitutoyo is what I would recommend)- must have in my mind
SAC modular headspace comparator set (or other option) must have in my mind

A press is a press but I can’t see “needing” to upgrade from my co-ax (although I am saving up for the area 419 press)
Good scale is a worthwhile upgrade. RCBS has been good to me….I don’t think you need a 1200 set up to load consistent ammo. (I enjoy the hobby and gadgets so I’ll likely end up with a v4 or the like is on the list but again it’s not necessary)

Case prep can come now or later. I actually just bought a neck trimmer after reloading almost 2 years

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I like my Lyman case prep station as a luxury item - used to do it all by hand.

Save your money for the reloading components that are bound to keep commanding big money …

WMag338

WKR
I just recently got a concentricity gauge. Luckly, most of my handloads were good. I did find one of my calibers i reload for was wayyy out of wack. In the process now of figuring out what happened.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Redding Big Boss press for rifle calibers, I started out with a RCBS Rock Chucker IV, I like the way the loading port is set up on the Redding, gives you more visibility
Mitutoyo caliper
RCBS balance beam scale
A bullet puller is a must
Trimming, chamfering and deburring really do suck…a RCBS electric trimmer with 3 way cutter is ok, if I had it to do over again the Henderson trimmer looks like the cats meow
RCBS bench priming tool, much easier and it works every time, I got tired of fiddling with the Lee hand priming tool
2 auto powder dispenser/scale, really speeds the rifle loading process up
MTM case loading blocks, cheap and effective
Bullet comparator
Bench Source annealer, really helped with neck tension on my 3+ times fired brass and eliminated split necks
The inline case ejection system mentioned by wind gypsy looks like a great upgrade
3D printed shell holder organizer, made finding the correct size much easier, no more rummaging through a box for the right one

If you are going to load for pistols in bulk you should plan on a also purchasing a progressive press at some point in the future

MThuntr

WKR
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center
RCBS Chargemaster but if i had $1k I'd have an Autotrickler V4 (it's going to happen soon!)
COAX press
Volume shooters appreciate a good Dillon press
Buy enough components, powder, and primers for the life of your rifle at one time

It is easy to buy stuff that will only make you spend more $ on shooting so tread lightly.

Vern400

WKR
Howdy from Idaho.

I'd like to get into reloading for my .308 rifle and eventually a 300 wsm. From my gathering, those seem to be two enjoyable cartridges to load for.

I am not a high volume shooter. I tend to make a trip out to my local 500 yard range or the public lands once every month or two and at each session I don't go through more than 40 rounds or so. My primary goal for reloading is...

1. To learn a new, useful skill
2. To enjoy a productive hobby at home
3. Ring as much accuracy/performance out of my rifles as possible (I think I'll enjoy tinkering with different loads),

I will purchase a quality reloading setup, but before I put together my list, I'd like to hear from you what has been the piece of equipment that you may have been hesitant to spend as much money on, but were glad you did? And the inverse, which item do you wish you didn't spend as much on?

I plan on having a quality, single stage press, but what are areas to "treat myself" and get the greatest enjoyment/results out of my future reloading efforts? I'll never reload in a hurry, but if there are some good "time saving" pieces of equipment/suggestions I'd be interested in hearing those.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate the inbound education.
I bought RCBS competition micrometer seating dies. I can measure a new bullet from ogive to tip, and nail my bullet jump really easily. PLUS the sliding collet helps keep the bullet straight while pressing it. I can use the screw and jam nut dies but I dislike using my time that way.

I bought a RCBS chargemaster lite and quit using the balance beam scale. I shoot like you- 40 shots is a lot. I'm more likely to shoot ONE shot every day for a month or three. Rain, wind,fog, everything. Anyhoo getting accurate charges in 5 to 7 seconds is just a delight.

As an experiment, I bought a Sinclair neck turning kit. Using Remington brass, old stuff, I could tell a difference of accuracy. Velocity es came down just a little bit and groups tightened up maybe about 0.150 inch. I'm shooting some Lapua brass right now and the amount of difference or the amount of value in neck turning is less.

Those are really the three things that I've done that I didn't have to do just to get a better experience. I seal all my bullets and primers in my hunting ammunition. I've tested them submerged in mud water for one week and all of mine fired two factory cartridges failed to fire.

Hope this helps. It ain't right, and it ain't wrong. That's just the way I like to do it

Avery Adventures podcast has a good series they did with Unknown Munitions. The first one in the series they go over equipment to splurge on. Its a good listen for every reloader especially a new reloader.

Howdy from Idaho.

I'd like to get into reloading for my .308 rifle and eventually a 300 wsm. From my gathering, those seem to be two enjoyable cartridges to load for.

I am not a high volume shooter. I tend to make a trip out to my local 500 yard range or the public lands once every month or two and at each session I don't go through more than 40 rounds or so. My primary goal for reloading is...

1. To learn a new, useful skill
2. To enjoy a productive hobby at home
3. Ring as much accuracy/performance out of my rifles as possible (I think I'll enjoy tinkering with different loads),

I will purchase a quality reloading setup, but before I put together my list, I'd like to hear from you what has been the piece of equipment that you may have been hesitant to spend as much money on, but were glad you did? And the inverse, which item do you wish you didn't spend as much on?

I plan on having a quality, single stage press, but what are areas to "treat myself" and get the greatest enjoyment/results out of my future reloading efforts? I'll never reload in a hurry, but if there are some good "time saving" pieces of equipment/suggestions I'd be interested in hearing those.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate the inbound education.
I started reloading about 6 months ago. I watched Squatch on YouTube, and decided to go with an RCBS single stage to start. I got the Rockchucker Supreme 4. It has been awesome. Make sure you mount your press to the sturdiest thing possible. Mine is on a wooden workbench With a 1/4” steel plate underneath. This takes out all of the slop. I use RCBS full sizing dies. Hornady One Shot lube. Anneal your brass on the cheap with a good torch and a drill. I shoot 300 WSM, and I have done a lot of development. I will share recipiesbif you like. Watch the interview on YouTube with Eric Cortina and Jack Neary.

My Chargemaster 1500 combo was a great purchase for me. A case prep center is very handy.

I use a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and wouldn’t change anything about it.

I bought a Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler with the steel pins. Although it cleans the brass very well, drying wet brass sucks. I don’t even clean my brass any more and haven’t had any accuracy problems with doing so. So, I saved several steps from not cleaning brass. Win, win. 👍
What he said plus a labradar.

I just load my wet cases in the dehydrator for an hour or so, if it's already in use I will use the shoe tray for the dryer.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good insights so far. Agree with investing more with good dies, 3-way cutter, and digital powder dispenser.

High quality brass and bushing dies have recently opened my eyes. I wasted a lot of time with cheap brass trying to save a few bucks