If you had to start over....

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
....but you keep all the knowledge and experience you have gained:

What would your beginner reloading setup be?

Ill be reloading 6.5creed and some 308 to start, maybe 223/556 and 270 later.

I plan to do some LR comp with the 6.5, not serious so not thousands of rounds a year, so a single stage should be fine.

TaperPin

WKR
Keep in mind marketing wants you to believe in every kitchen gadget, the ShamWow, pocket fishing rod, and fancy reloading gear.

It’s hard to go wrong with a Rock Chucker combo kit, or the same basic single stage package from Redding or Hornady. You’ll never wear out the press and even top accuracy shooters still use these presses, so you’ll never outgrow it.

You don’t know what comfort items make sense for you until you’ve loaded a while. Most extras make things easier, not really better. It’s like buying your very first pickup - until you drive one a while there’s no way to tell if an extra cab or long/short bed fit you better.

Unless your rifle is capable of sub 1/2 moa accuracy just the very basic set up, including basic full length dies, is all you need.

I’d go so far as saying a basic setup is essential to teach the basics. I know dozens of guys who don’t know how to figure out shoulder bump or seating depth without a gizmo. When the basic technique of smoking a bullet to find the lands isn’t learned, there is no double check of the gizmo that is supposed to simplify the measurement.

huntnful

WKR
Single Stage MEC
Frankford Arsenal prep center
Hornady Powder thrower
Mandrel die and mandrels
Good FL dies
Redding Imperial Case lube
21st Century Moly Lube for inside neck
SAC comparator gauges
Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer
Drill with nylon brush for brushing necks

You could load excellent ammo with just the above. And I have a pile more expensive crap that isn't necessary.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I think the only gadgety, splurge item I would consider is something like the Hornady Autocharge simply for increased speed.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I would do exactly what I did when I started. I didn’t make the easy mistake and buy a kit. I actually bought what I wanted from the start and didn’t have to upgrade my kit later.

Weldor

WKR
Hollywood Jr.
Redding thrower
Hornady beam scale
Frankfort loading blocks
Hornady custom dies.
Lyman case prep center