If you could have one .300 Win mag.

If euro optic has them in sale for $1200, I'd go with a sako s20. Absolutely can't beat that. Actually, if my wife would let me I'd probably buy one right now even though I don't really want/need a 300wm. I'd probably pair it with an on sale swfa or trijicon.

Sled

WKR
If euro optic has them in sale for $1200, I'd go with a sako s20. Absolutely can't beat that. Actually, if my wife would let me I'd probably buy one right now even though I don't really want/need a 300wm. I'd probably pair it with an on sale swfa or trijicon.
Cabela's had those on clearance for $1100. I wonder if it's getting discontinued or just not a big seller?

Cabela's had those on clearance for $1100. I wonder if it's getting discontinued or just not a big seller?

I would imagine it's not a huge seller. It would probably do a lot better if they offered the same thing in a cheapo lightweight black factory stock like the t3x , offered it chambered it in 300 PRC, and knocked the regular price down a little.

With it being basically the same action as a t3x except for the long action length, integral pic mounts, and the Sako type safety, I don't see much reason to buy that gun in anything but a longer magnum chambering.

Twtxga

FNG
i had a model 70 ewss in 300 1 to 1.25 inch gun. great action, very high quality.

Its now my brother in laws and I run seekins and have used to 877 yards without issue. True 1/2 inch gun.

Last edited:
OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Should the Sako s20 hunter that’s on sale be added to this list????

Choupique

WKR
I dont think sako builds a bad rifle. The 2 that I've shot are shooters. I wouldn't trade my ewss for one, but I wouldn't mind owning one

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
On this budget… exactly this:
Tikka 300 Win + Mesa Altitude + Quality Optic!

bd1d1589054a06a2e151d3222e988986.jpeg

Light enough to carry up the mountain, but heavy enough to be accurate after you get there. The big APA break takes all the sting out of the 200 grain ELD-X I push through it. Good up to and including Brown/Grizzly Bears.

However… a custom rifle sure is nice if you’re going to a one-gun-to-rule-them-all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What model Tikka did this start out as?

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
On this budget… exactly this:
Tikka 300 Win + Mesa Altitude + Quality Optic!

bd1d1589054a06a2e151d3222e988986.jpeg

Light enough to carry up the mountain, but heavy enough to be accurate after you get there. The big APA break takes all the sting out of the 200 grain ELD-X I push through it. Good up to and including Brown/Grizzly Bears.

However… a custom rifle sure is nice if you’re going to a one-gun-to-rule-them-all.

What model Tikka did this start out as

ChemE

FNG
I own an original Sendero with SS fluted barrel in 300win mag and it's one of the finest factory rifles I've ever owned. You can still find them for sale online.

grfox92

WKR
What model Tikka did this start out as
Either a Roughtech or a Veil. I've been meaning to ask what the difference is on here as its tough to tell based on specs.

If anyone knows this would be an appropriate thread to explain.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
My guess is it’s either a Vei Wideland because of the color of the Cerakote or it’s a super lite that he had coated and threaded???

Browning hells canyon long range was my answer to this question. I wanted to eek every bit of velocity out of a .300 win mag so a 26” barrel was needed. I still wanted a more traditional style stock and I didn’t want a rifle that weighed more than about 10-11 lbs. The x bolt also came with a 3.625” mag from the factory allowing me to seat the heavier bullets out further increasing case capacity. It also came standard with a fluted barrel and factory muzzle brake. Mine weighs 10.2lbs all in and drives a 185 gr Berger hybrid at 3225fps or a 199gr hammer hunter at 3090fps. I think they discontinued the long range model but there are some new similar models. I primarily hunt out west so my needs didn’t really take into account Eastern hunting.
I'm shooting 3016 fps with my tikka 300 wm. 165gr Hornaday ECX. Fantastic rifle

If I could have only one 300WM it would be a 300PRC. 😉.
But it would also be a Seekins Element.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Appreciate all the replies!

I ended up going in a different direction. I took the Beragara 300wm out to shoot a few weeks ago. Turns out my spinal fusion surgery I had a few months ago has really changed the way I feel about recoil. It never really bothered me but now it sure does. Each shot felt like my spine was getting hit with a tuning fork. Got me thinking about if I really need a 300 win mag. I don't shoot past 400 yards and really don't see that changing. I am very heavily invested in .308 bullets so I decided to buy a 30-06 with a brake. I ended up deciding on a Tikka Wideland 30-06. I got the 20" barreled version to maybe add a suppressor down the road.

This weekend I plan on listing for sale the Bergara and all my 300wm dies, ammo, and brass.

I am very heavily invested in .308 bullets so I decided to buy a 30-06 with a brake. I ended up deciding on a Tikka Wideland 30-06. I got the 20" barreled version to maybe add a suppressor down the road

This weekend I plan on listing for sale the Bergara and all my 300wm dies, ammo, and brass.
What about a 260 rem or 6.5x284? Assuming selling .308 bullets. I felt the recoil from 30-06 and 300wm to be similar depending on stock and rifle setup.

Kicking around the idea of liquidating a few safe queens and putting it all toward one 300 win mag. I currently have a Bergara B-14 wilderness hunter that I really like but want a fluted barrel and muzzle brake. Not for any other reason than I like the look of fluted barrels. If you could build/buy one 300 win to cover all your hunting needs what would it be and why?

For me it would not be a factory rifle. I’ve been selling off multiple factory rifles to build customs exactly like I want.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
Kicking around the idea of liquidating a few safe queens and putting it all toward one 300 win mag. I currently have a Bergara B-14 wilderness hunter that I really like but want a fluted barrel and muzzle brake. Not for any other reason than I like the look of fluted barrels. If you could build/buy one 300 win to cover all your hunting needs what would it be and why?
I have the B-14 wilderness in 300 win mag, suppressed. It is my favorite hunting rifle of all time.

Got a 300 Win Mag M70 Classic SM in 1996. Paid $525 for it NIB at Gart Brothers Sports in Colorado Springs. Mounted a $199 Leupold 3-9 Vari-X IIc that it still wears, had the trigger stoned for $20 and adjusted to 2 lbs at a local gun store by the sage wise veteran employee who worked there and did tiggers on the side. Gun weighs 8 lbs 15 oz loaded, glass smooth action and the floor plate has the finish dulled from carrying perfectly balanced with a bare hand in early Colorado elk season weather for many a season.

Lord, that rifle has some stories to tell of elk, mule deer and a few whitetails sprinkled in. Brakes, carbon barrels, suppressors were not on the radar. Christensen Arms had just been founded in 1995. Many guys here will never know what it's like to lap their own bolt, fire lap a barrel, bed their own action and free float a barrel. I also was ahead of the game by late 1990's standards by shortening the bolt stop for increased bolt travel, drilling out the sheet metal magazine filler, and installing a magnum length follower to use the 180 gr Barnes XBT at an OAL of 3.600". Fire lapping left it with a bit longer throat than stock so I took advantage of it. It will push that long bullet to 3080 fps with IMR7828 and the extra case capacity afforded by the long seating.

If I could have one 300 Win Mag... already have it.
Is yours the push feed or Crf? I think I have the same gun. I changed stock to a bell and Carlson, change trigger spring and adjusted. Gun shoots better than its owner can.