If you could have one .300 Win mag.

KenLee

WKR
I went from a dozen 300wm down to 3 about 5 years ago. If I had to go to one it would be the x-bolt original long range stainless fluted.
I prefer hunting with 300wsm now due to shorter, handier rifles sending bullets at same speed and accuracy.

Got a 300 Win Mag M70 Classic SM in 1996. Paid $525 for it NIB at Gart Brothers Sports in Colorado Springs. Mounted a $199 Leupold 3-9 Vari-X IIc that it still wears, had the trigger stoned for $20 and adjusted to 2 lbs at a local gun store by the sage wise veteran employee who worked there and did tiggers on the side. Gun weighs 8 lbs 15 oz loaded, glass smooth action and the floor plate has the finish dulled from carrying perfectly balanced with a bare hand in early Colorado elk season weather for many a season.

Lord, that rifle has some stories to tell of elk, mule deer and a few whitetails sprinkled in. Brakes, carbon barrels, suppressors were not on the radar. Christensen Arms had just been founded in 1995. Many guys here will never know what it's like to lap their own bolt, fire lap a barrel, bed their own action and free float a barrel. I also was ahead of the game by late 1990's standards by shortening the bolt stop for increased bolt travel, drilling out the sheet metal magazine filler, and installing a magnum length follower to use the 180 gr Barnes XBT at an OAL of 3.600". Fire lapping left it with a bit longer throat than stock so I took advantage of it. It will push that long bullet to 3080 fps with IMR7828 and the extra case capacity afforded by the long seating.

If I could have one 300 Win Mag... already have it.

Last edited:
OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Got a 300 Win Mag M70 Classic SM in 1996. Paid $525 for it NIB at Gart Brothers Sports in Colorado Springs. Mounted a $199 Leupold 3-9 Vari-X IIc that it still wears, had the trigger stoned for $20 and adjusted to 2 lbs at a local gun store by the sage wise veteran employee who worked there and did tiggers on the side. Gun weighs 8 lbs 15 oz loaded, glass smooth action and the floor plate has the finish dulled from carrying perfectly balanced with a bare hand in early Colorado elk season weather for many a season.

Lord, that rifle has some stories to tell of elk, mule deer and a few whitetails sprinkled in. Brakes, carbon barrels, suppressors were not on the radar. Christensen Arms had just been founded in 1995. Many guys here will never know what it's like to lap their own bolt, fire lap a barrel, bed their own action and free float a barrel. I also was ahead of the game by late 1990's standards by shortening the bolt stop for increased bolt travel, drilling out the sheet metal magazine filler, and installing a magnum length follower to use the 180 gr Barnes XBT at an OAL of 3.600". Fire lapping left it with a bit longer throat than stock so I took advantage of it. It will push that long bullet to 3080 fps with IMR7828 and the extra case capacity afforded by the long seating.

If I could have one 300 Win Mag... already have it.

Yes! This exacting the way I want to look at this gun in 30 years! I want all my adventures with one gun.

Trapyotes

FNG
I have a Christensen Arms Mesa in the 7mm-08 and will soon have it in the 300 win mag. I just like everything about them.

Yes! This exacting the way I want to look at this gun in 30 years! I want all my adventures with one gun.
I cannot agree more. That gun was my sweetheart for a number of years to amass a good number of animals and species and wouldn't trade it for the world. Learned most of what was to become the basis for shooting skills, tweaking on guns and load development ins and outs with that gun.

I have used my 35 Whelen AI for the past 20 seasons in full disclosure, with many more stories and memories that gun has been part of, but they share the same safe side by side.

frogman43

FNG
I'll stick with the one I already have. Started out as a Rem 700 BDL Stainless with a DBM. Sent it to IT&D in Ohio many years ago and had Dave perform and action job and install a new Douglas premium air gauged stainless medium contour barrel. After break in and load development, my handloads with Berger 185 VLD's cluster into 3/8" grouped at 200 yards from the bench when I do my part. It rests in a B&C Alaskan fiberglass stock with the full aluminum bedding block. Took my last Bull with it 9 years ago at 471 ranged yards.....one shot and two steps!

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
I think I have it narrowed down to 4…

Seekins Havok PH2

Winchester Model 70 Extreme - TrueTimber VSX

Bergara Highlander

Tikka Veil Wideland

Forms thread about ice rifles has me thinking I should lean toward the Winchester or Tikka but I handled a Seekins yesterday and wow!

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
I think I have it narrowed down to 4…

Seekins Havok PH2

Winchester Model 70 Extreme - TrueTimber VSX

Bergara Highlander

Tikka Veil Wideland

Forms thread about ice rifles has me thinking is should lean toward the Winchester or Tikka but I handled a Seekins yesterday and wow!

If the seekins suits you, then jump on it. It's unlikely you'll encounter the issues form was talking about and if your hunt is forecasted to have freezing rain you can always grab another caliber/chambered rifle...since you only have one 300.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Good point. I hunted with my Bergara 2 years ago Elk hunting and the day started as freezing rain and by the time we got in that night a couple hours after dark we had a foot of snow. My Bergara operated fine in that.

Last edited:

492slayer

FNG
Well I already have mine... Browning A-Bolt stainless Stalker .300 Win Mag Left Hand. When it comes to finding a left hand bolt action, without breaking the bank, I find all the Browning rifles excellent options. I own a handful in .30-06, 7mm Rem mag, .300 Win Mag and .375 H&H. All will shoot 3/4 - 1" group at 100yds. I especially like the .375 with 300gr A-Frames. I've seen 3 shot groups pushing 1/2" off a Caldwell lead sled.

LightFoot

WKR
Total budget for rifle only would be about $2,500.

I’ve kicked around the build option also. I’ve done some Savages and some muzzleloaders. Most recently a .45 smokeless muzzleloader off a Rem 700 with a AG Alpine Hunter stock and Brux barrel.

On this budget… exactly this:
Tikka 300 Win + Mesa Altitude + Quality Optic!

bd1d1589054a06a2e151d3222e988986.jpeg

Light enough to carry up the mountain, but heavy enough to be accurate after you get there. The big APA break takes all the sting out of the 200 grain ELD-X I push through it. Good up to and including Brown/Grizzly Bears.

However… a custom rifle sure is nice if you’re going to a one-gun-to-rule-them-all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro