If you could have one .300 Win mag.

03mossy

WKR
Kicking around the idea of liquidating a few safe queens and putting it all toward one 300 win mag. I currently have a Bergara B-14 wilderness hunter that I really like but want a fluted barrel and muzzle brake. Not for any other reason than I like the look of fluted barrels. If you could build/buy one 300 win to cover all your hunting needs what would it be and why?

One of these.

Northpark

WKR
Browning hells canyon long range was my answer to this question. I wanted to eek every bit of velocity out of a .300 win mag so a 26” barrel was needed. I still wanted a more traditional style stock and I didn’t want a rifle that weighed more than about 10-11 lbs. The x bolt also came with a 3.625” mag from the factory allowing me to seat the heavier bullets out further increasing case capacity. It also came standard with a fluted barrel and factory muzzle brake. Mine weighs 10.2lbs all in and drives a 185 gr Berger hybrid at 3225fps or a 199gr hammer hunter at 3090fps. I think they discontinued the long range model but there are some new similar models. I primarily hunt out west so my needs didn’t really take into account Eastern hunting.

Flyjunky

WKR
Do you handload? What bullet are you looking to shoot? Do you have any performance criteria?

It’s easier/better to start there and work backwards..the end result is often better as well.

Do any of those safe queens have a long action with mag bolt face?

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Yes I handload. I am well stocked up on Barnes 180 TTSX and TSX. Also have a few hundred 190 Accubond long range I’d like to play with.

I want to shoot it a lot and use it for any western adventures. I have an old 30-06 for the hunting at home here in MN.

No none of the safe queens are long actions. Mostly handguns and a few muzzleloaders.

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
Yes I handload. I am well stocked up on Barnes 180 TTSX and TSX. Also have a few hundred 190 Accubond long range I’d like to play with.

I want to shoot it a lot and use it for any western adventures. I have an old 30-06 for the hunting at home here in MN.
Virtually any factory rifle will have sufficient mag length to handle those bullets. I’m a huge 30 cal fan, most of which have been 300wm.

All the guns mentioned above are good but the 3 most accurate factory rifles I’ve been around have been a browning hells canyon long range like described above and the other 2 were CA Ridgelines. They were absolute tack drivers with 215 bergers.

Long story short, I’d add the Ridgeline in there as well but I’m not fond of their stock.

JoSwan

FNG
i just got the Dakota 76 in 375 Dakota and wish I could get another one in 300 WM. Would make for a beautiful rifle.

Remington mod 700 sendero stainless fluted bull barrel that I bought 27 years ago. Gun weighs close to 10# without the scope. It’s been bedded with a trigger pull 2.5#. It’ll send a 150gr Sierra BTSP @ 3450fps.
Absolute tack driver compared to my Weatherby mark V deluxe 300 mag.

I have two 300s - a pretty capable Remington AWR and tikka. Both are good shooters. if I were doing it over and Staying within a reasonable budget, one of those havaks or a Sako carbon lite would be on my list for a lighter gun. I am also enthralled with a Sako s20.

hiker270

WKR
Tikka Roughtech or the Lite Veil. Outstanding adjustable trigger , fluted barrel, and a 5/8 x 24 muzzle brake.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have it now a Bansner ultimate one it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot.

Choupique

WKR
Winchester model 70 ewss if I'm on a normal budget

NULA or Mausingfield if I'm on a generous budget.

I went with a EWSS .338 a few years ago and am very happy with it. I'll swap the 26" barrel for a 22" at some point though.

Sled

WKR
Kicking around the idea of liquidating a few safe queens and putting it all toward one 300 win mag. I currently have a Bergara B-14 wilderness hunter that I really like but want a fluted barrel and muzzle brake. Not for any other reason than I like the look of fluted barrels. If you could build/buy one 300 win to cover all your hunting needs what would it be and why?

If I could have one 300 win mag it would be a nice wood stocked custom. It would live right next to my 340 and 300 weatherby in the safe until my kids need to be punished. After they are good and sore it'd go back to the safe until all my other capable rifles were rendered inoperable.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Thank you for all the suggestions for far. I am looking into all of them. I love the look and feel of nice walnut stocks but with this one I think I want something more durable.

JakeSCH

WKR
I think budget makes a big difference. I like the Fierce's twisted rival, Allterra's Mountain Shadow, or full custom from many of the recommended smiths on here.

Eurooptic has a great deal on a Sako S20's in 300 WM for $1200 right now. The new CA FFT line looks promising too, glad they fixed the weight of the stock.

More details on features you would would help. Magazine, barrel length, weight, etc

swopie

FNG
I like my Christensen (steel barrel) not a fan of their carbon barrels. 700 clone so lots of options on stocks, triggers and so forth. Tikka shoot well also but you have to change out the mag so it will accept the longer bullets.

rootacres

WKR
What's the all in budget look like (rifle only)?

That changes things. If you like your Bergara, the premier line is pretty nice. I too would add the CA Ridgeline to the list. My Ridgeline was a great shooter. You go much higher end than that I would buy a prefit barrel, an action of your choice, and probably something like an AG composites stock (or HNT 26 if you're into chassis). All you need is an action wrench and a handful of tools. You pretty much have yourself a homegrown custom build.

Three years ago I liquidated my long guns (which wasn't much) and rolled the funds into a home build. I wanted to learn how it was all done. For me, it feels good harvesting an animal with a shooting system I built at home. And there's zero compromise on configuration, as I picked everything.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Total budget for rifle only would be about $2,500.

I’ve kicked around the build option also. I’ve done some Savages and some muzzleloaders. Most recently a .45 smokeless muzzleloader off a Rem 700 with a AG Alpine Hunter stock and Brux barrel.