Idiots & Pack Color Selection

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have multi cam and highlander packs and I don't give a shit who likes it or doesn't like it. I hunted with a black pack for about seven years and never had a problem with that either.

I like solids for my pack. I actually dont like to be in camo unless I am in the field. I use my pack for other hiking trips so I like to get solid colors.

It was a real toss up for me. I love the highlander pattern, but I also really love the foliage. My decision was solely on what I wanted. Never thought about jack wagons shooting me in a brown pack or someone stealing my crap or flipping me their evil hunter jargon in the airport. But I generally only bow hunt and that crap just doesn't seem to happen here in the rural Midwest and where I elk hunted last year I never saw another soul all week.

If I was a rifle hunter, then I might think more about it... :)

AZ Vince

WKR
I went with a camo pattern as anything I do outdoors is in some way related to hunting.
Hunting, scouting, even backpacking is done as an excuse to scout. Also, I don't much care what other people think. I'm me, take me as I am, or don't, I don't much care.

Buster

WKR
I wanted a camo pack because I liked the pattern. I've been using it as my carry on bag on every flight I've taken the last six months. I could care less if some people are put off by a camo pack. I think it looks cool.

I think I posted this before on a different thread, but just a heads up. Using my hunting pack as my carry on, it has held me up at customs a couple times now. Seems it sets off some "chemical" or "imaging" scan. Likely the blood residue? Been pulled aside and had it swabbed twice now. They don't tell you much either, so I'm only speculating.

Bmcox86

WKR
Buster do you ever use your pack as a gun rest to shoot off of? That can set off machine the swabs get run on. Gun powder residue.

I picked foliage because I thought coyote would be risky if I ever moved back east, read to many opening day stories in the newspaper about people getting shot to want to wear brown.

Buster

WKR
Buster do you ever use your pack as a gun rest to shoot off of? That can set off machine the swabs get run on. Gun powder residue.

I picked foliage because I thought coyote would be risky if I ever moved back east, read to many opening day stories in the newspaper about people getting shot to want to wear brown.

That pack was almost exclusively used during archery hunts. Can't totally rule that possibility out tho.

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tip. I haven't had any issues yet, but I haven't had to go through customs.

2ski

WKR
Same as you, I picked a neutral color so I don't look like a tool backpacking in the summer. Plus, they're lighter and resale better.

Exactly why I picked coyote brown. It's still a "hunting" color but it's not a "hunting" color. It was between that and foliage but I just don't like that color. No black because black absorbs heat and with meat in the bag I could see that being an issue. If I'm concerned about getting shot in rifle season I have a hunter's orange bandana I'll tie on somehow. I almost got the hunter's orange grab-it for that reason.

That pack was almost exclusively used during archery hunts. Can't totally rule that possibility out tho.

I would guess the same. The machine is designed to pick up trace amounts of anything explosive related. I'm in LE, and travel a lot. Even if my bag is at the range during a qual day, it picks up enough residue to set off the machine. It's annoying, but I guess the alternative is bad guys getting on planes with explosives, so I let them do their thing and try not to complain.

Any if you guys with solid colors do any predator hunting? If so, any issues or concerns with going solid? I just put in an order in multicam with that in mind, but now this thread has me second guessing.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a camo pack when backpacking so I don't have to talk to the liberal democrats. If the camo does not repel them then the Handgun on the hip belt usually keeps them away from me. So I guess the idiots did influence my decision on pack color.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Any if you guys with solid colors do any predator hunting? If so, any issues or concerns with going solid? I just put in an order in multicam with that in mind, but now this thread has me second guessing.

Predator calling requires you remain perfectly still with topography on your side (shade, elevation, sun behind you, etc) and pack color plays no role IMHO.

Shrek

WKR
I went with foliage for the versatility and enduring availability. Blends in in most environments , out of season camping , ect , AND it will not go out of style. I expect to be carrying my Duplex T1 for a long time and camo patterns come and go. I'm betting that ten years from now I will still be able to buy foliage and coyote brown.

IMO camo is so over rated. It's geared towards selling and not to hide yourself from animals. I do a bunch of coyote and bobcat hunting during the winter and have had zero issues calling animals into 20-30 yards wearing my grandfathers red plaid double mackinaw jacket, beaver fur mitts, and a bright blue toque. Paying attention to wind and limiting your movement will go a lot further than the latest camo to hit the market.

Jdog

WKR
I worry very little about what others think of me--especially my pack color. I get the color I like and that's it.

I went with foliage for the versatility and enduring availability. Blends in in most environments , out of season camping , ect , AND it will not go out of style. I expect to be carrying my Duplex T1 for a long time and camo patterns come and go. I'm betting that ten years from now I will still be able to buy foliage and coyote brown.

This is actually a really good point that I feel most people over look this.

I personally like camo. Because I like it, and could care less what people think about it. The only time I let someone dictate my pack color is at the airport. Every single time I travel with a camo pack I get "randomly" screened. I'm not sure if they think I'm more likely to have weapons or what but Jesus.

mt100gr.

WKR
Camo! Any camo! It's my favorite color. I usually have something camo on, at least a hat, everyday. It's part of who I am. If people want to label me, so be it. I am not worried about that.

If I ever (or when I eventually) fly somewhere to hunt, I will worry about that then.

Where I live, it's not out of the ordinary to see many people in camo, with camo packs, hats, boots, etc for their everyday clothes. I guess I am just lucky:)

OP
Where's Bruce?
This is actually a really good point that I feel most people over look this.

I personally like camo. Because I like it, and could care less what people think about it. The only time I let someone dictate my pack color is at the airport. Every single time I travel with a camo pack I get "randomly" screened. I'm not sure if they think I'm more likely to have weapons or what but Jesus.

Had exactly the same experience, random ain't so random. I think those inner city libtards like to look thru our stuff. I started shipping certain items before a destination hunt...easier than replacing em when they vanished at the airport. Friggin' scumbags. Am thinking about buying a button that reads: SHOW YOUR ELDERS RESPECT-HUG A TREE.

The idiot that recommended my pack color in highlander was the guy that runs this web sight, if that's what you want to call him. It's a hell of a camo pattern as far as I'm concerned and could really care less what any nonhunter has to say. just my 2 cents.