Idaho Tag Site Already Crashed

Rob5589

WKR
They're buying tags for clients instead of using their outfitter allocated tags. It happens a lot for various reasons.
Seems like a double dip; get several outfitter tags then use their clients info to buy them a separate tag. So what happens to the allocated tags?

I have no issue with the way it's done. The issue is the inability to handle the demand, for the online portion at least. Unfortunately we'll all be here 12/1/23 bitching about the same problems.

ianpadron

WKR
Honestly I get sick of all the bickering on here. Non residents took advantage of our home state for decades. Sometimes purchasing 2 tags and shooting every young buck/bull they came across. Regulation has moved in the right direction, the operating system could be more efficient no question. But can you really bitch when the floodgates were open for years? Idaho was everyone’s place to go when they didn’t draw anything else. Obviously as a homegrown resident I’m biased, I’m not opposed to out of state hunters at all. I just don’t like the pre Madonnas that feel entitled to hunt here and disrespect the people that pay to live here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many of the guys bickering on here shoot dinks and disrespect Idahoans?

The system is a POS. That's the entire point of the thread.

Seems like a double dip; get several outfitter tags then use their clients info to buy them a separate tag. So what happens to the allocated tags?

I have no issue with the way it's done. The issue is the inability to handle the demand, for the online portion at least. Unfortunately we'll all be here 12/1/23 bitching about the same problems.

The outfitter tags that end up being left over get sold to residents as 2nd tags at NR prices, since all of the zone and unit quotas will be met.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Bingo!

I have family in Idaho and that's what they have been saying. People blame the NR but it's actually all their new neighbors.
Its a combination. Even though the number of available NR tags hasn't changed for many years, the number of actual NR hunters after those tags has increased. All the tags sell and there is a body in the woods for each one. Used to be a lot less actual non residents hunting even thought the tag numbers haven't increased. Additionally the resident numbers have increased dramatically without any action to accommodate it. prices have increased on NR considerably, while residents have seen little increase. There's even a price lock available for resident multi year license holders.

lots of factors to consider, things will have to change for everyone on some level.

For all of you hoping they will go to a draw, remember that not everyone is dedicated enough to take 1/2 the day or more to wait for a OTC tag, but everyone will apply for a draw with a month long application period and you probably won’t draw the tag you want. Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it and it probably won’t be what you hoped it was.

Bingo!

I have family in Idaho and that's what they have been saying. People blame the NR but it's actually all their new neighbors.

Idaho is atop a list that isn't favorable for hunting pressure. The state has added nearly 1 million people since 1990 almost doubling the population over the last 30 years. And there isn't any sign of it slowing down.
Non-residents are the problem because they tend to like to become residents, not because they buy NR tags.

StateGrowth Rate Growth Since 20102022 Population
Utah1.53%22.04%3,373,162
Idaho1.45%20.79%1,893,410
Texas1.35%19.09%29,945,493

Rob5589

WKR
Its a combination. Even though the number of available NR tags hasn't changed for many years, the number of actual NR hunters after those tags has increased. All the tags sell and there is a body in the woods for each one. Used to be a lot less actual non residents hunting even thought the tag numbers haven't increased. Additionally the resident numbers have increased dramatically without any action to accommodate it. prices have increased on NR considerably, while residents have seen little increase. There's even a price lock available for resident multi year license holders.

lots of factors to consider, things will have to change for everyone on some level.
Right. The fact that tags used to be available on the drive up demonstrate that fact. Even as recent as 2016/17, when I first started hunting ID, I could have easily purchased second deer and elk tags, and did for deer. In '17 I could have bought a 2nd elk tag for DC of all places.

IdahoBeav

WKR
that point gets lost all the time. I always ask about how many nr tags have increased and get told they havent. Well im not Sherlock Holmes but seems to me the huge increase in residents is where all the extra pressure is coming from.

The majority of the pressure, yes, but nonres and the NR tags play a role. Back before the tags would sell out, many nonres and residents would buy a 2nd tag, so there were fewer nonres hunters back then. Now it is extremely difficult to get a 2nd tag. Not many people get them. The ratio of NR tags to nonres hunters is much lower, closer to 1:1.

cgasner1

WKR
I feel like it will never go to a draw because they want me to be able to buy the elk or deer tag on the otc. I’ve been chasing a moose tag for to long to walk away now. If it goes to draw then people have to make choices and it’s easier to send money for a elk tag with better odds than a moose tag

I feel like it will never go to a draw because they want me to be able to buy the elk or deer tag on the otc. I’ve been chasing a moose tag for to long to walk away now. If it goes to draw then people have to make choices and it’s easier to send money for a elk tag with better odds than a moose tag

That's a good point that hadn't crossed my mind. If they went with a NR draw, how many guys would forgo putting in for elk or deer if they knew they couldn't apply for an OIL tag. Providing they used the same rule as residents.

KurtR

WKR
The majority of the pressure, yes, but nonres and the NR tags play a role. Back before the tags would sell out, many nonres and residents would buy a 2nd tag, so there were fewer nonres hunters back then. Now it is extremely difficult to get a 2nd tag. Not many people get them. The ratio of NR tags to nonres hunters is much lower, closer to 1:1.
So on average there was 2000 or so elk tags left 4 years ago and they didnt even all sell out. So with that you have 2000 more people now that all the elk tags sell out. Now if all those people go to the same area it could have an impact. Now look at the population increase in the last 4 years

So on average there was 2000 or so elk tags left 4 years ago and they didnt even all sell out. So with that you have 2000 more people now that all the elk tags sell out. Now if all those people go to the same area it could have an impact. Now look at the population increase in the last 4 years
It would have an impact, but not all 2000 tags would be left in one particular elk zone. A good portion of the elk zones now have quota's, even for residents. I think all but a few sold out last year. The population increase is the elephant in the room that no one wants to address. The elk zones that don't have a quota are getting hit hard.

I was able to get my #1 elk and deer choice. Gonna be my fourth consecutive year hunting Idaho. With that said, it’s been my fourth year dealing with IDFGs server/vendor.

All in all, no complaints here. Frustrating? Yes! Irked? Absolutely!! However, at the end of the day, I’m grateful I’m able to hunt Idaho.

Good luck this elk and deer season for those of you that were able to obtain a tag(s).

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
2000 hunters as well as the extra guys brought along to help. Solo elk is a tough endeavor so even if only half brought one friend along that's another 3k bodies in the woods. And I'd bet it's way more than that.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider

Correct. I’m assuming they are reselling them which is illegal, but nobody seems to really care.

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
How many of the guys bickering on here shoot dinks and disrespect Idahoans?

The system is a POS. That's the entire point of the thread.

That’s a good point because I don’t know anyone on here personally. My intent wasn’t to point the finger at anyone specifically, but the fact of the matter is there are more d bags than not that come here out of state and disrespect what we got going on over here. Unfortunately the influx of new residents is arguably a bigger problem, diff topic. I get the OS is a piece of crap and could work better. But get a tag or not, what good does it do to bitch about? If you get a tag great be happy, if you don’t and you get booted out , shake it off and move forward- be a man about it. If I didn’t get a tag out of state because of some glitch or something, I sure as hell wouldn’t be on here bitching about it. That kind of mentality is a big part of what is wrong with this beta filled world.

KurtR

WKR
It would have an impact, but not all 2000 tags would be left in one particular elk zone. A good portion of the elk zones now have quota's, even for residents. I think all but a few sold out last year. The population increase is the elephant in the room that no one wants to address. The elk zones that don't have a quota are getting hit hard.
That’s what I was getting at as much as everyone likes to hate nr. There might need to be something done with the resident population increase. My brother has lived there for 5 years in star and it’s crazy how many people have moved in. F ing Californians is what I always hear.

Flyjunky

WKR
That’s a good point because I don’t know anyone on here personally. My intent wasn’t to point the finger at anyone specifically, but the fact of the matter is there are more d bags than not that come here out of state and disrespect what we got going on over here. Unfortunately the influx of new residents is arguably a bigger problem, diff topic. I get the OS is a piece of crap and could work better. But get a tag or not, what good does it do to bitch about? If you get a tag great be happy, if you don’t and you get booted out , shake it off and move forward- be a man about it. If I didn’t get a tag out of state because of some glitch or something, I sure as hell wouldn’t be on here bitching about it. That kind of mentality is a big part of what is wrong with this beta filled world.

If you're someone who took the day off work or arranged your day around being on the computer for 6+ hours, got a place in line at #1900 and then got booted out of the system I sure as hell would bitch about it. With the technology we have in the world today there is absolutely no excuse for this too happen.