Idaho Tag Site Already Crashed

CorbLand

WKR
Why does it have to be a point system? Why not have a straight up random draw. When you buy your license you are assigned a random number that determines your place in line.
I didn’t say it had to be a point system. I said that if it goes to a draw, in ten years people will complain they can’t draw and will then think a point system is the answer.

What’s the difference between doing a draw and getting a random number versus logging in and getting a random number?

Flyjunky

WKR
I didn’t say it had to be a point system. I said that if it goes to a draw, in ten years people will complain they can’t draw and will then think a point system is the answer.

What’s the difference between doing a draw and getting a random number versus logging in and getting a random number?
you don't get kicked out, placed back in line at a higher number, have to spend 6+ hours on a computer, take the day off work, etc.

The only reason I'd consider a draw is for the results day excitement.

Points systems don’t work because they are always set up to make money, not efficiently distribute tags.

A lot more people will apply in a draw because it won’t all be happening in a 12 hr window, it will be happening over a month long window. We are on the same page here, the rest of these guys don’t seem to understand a draw is going to mean increased demand for the already limited supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
you don't get kicked out, placed back in line at a higher number, have to spend 6+ hours on a computer, take the day off work, etc.
So you make it easier for people to apply, and more people will. Draw odds go to shit, people complain. Then the only two options are point system or raise prices. There has to be a barrier to entry and no matter what, it’s going to cause issues.

If you went to a draw, I know ten people right now that would be applying for the diamond creek tag. They don’t want to hassle with trying to get the tag. You make it easy, they will.

It won’t solve a single problem. It will just make people feel good.

Flyjunky

WKR
So you make it easier for people to apply, and more people will. Draw odds go to shit, people complain. Then the only two options are point system or raise prices. There has to be a barrier to entry and no matter what, it’s going to cause issues.

If you went to a draw, I know ten people right now that would be applying for the diamond creek tag. They don’t want to hassle with trying to get the tag. You make it easy, they will.

It won’t solve a single problem. It will just make people feel good.
yes, it's super cool to log in and get 1641 and get booted. Log back in and now it's 7341....fantastic system.

They should make “Over the Counter” tags just that. You have to drive over and buy them over the counter.

Get rid of the online sales. Then you no longer have to worry about folks not liking the server issues.
They have to invest a little skin in the game and maybe spend a little money in Idaho.

CorbLand

WKR
yes, it's super cool to log in and get 1641 and get booted. Log back in and now it's 7341....fantastic system.
I never said it was fantastic or great or any anything. It sucks, that I agree with. Turning it into a draw will only make it worse.

I don’t know if a single state that allows tags to be purchased this way that does not have the same issues. Utah has the same problem and sells out tags in 5 hours. At least you get kicked out, in Utah you just watch your number go backwards. Sometimes you even go forwards.

Rob5589

WKR
That's some interesting data. The population is growing like wildfire, but the hunting license purchases don't look to be increasing. It looks like Idaho is being populated by non-hunters.
Looks like your loosing seniors and not having them replaced, and maybe folks no longer take their kids hunting.
Makes sense. Whom do Idaho residents complain about invading their state the most? Californians. While we do have a fairly healthy hunter base those aren't likely the ones moving to ID in significant numbers.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
It does suck and it’s not the barrier to entry I would prefer but it beats raising prices to levels that mitigate it.

Either way, you are assigned a random number. There isn’t much of a difference there. All draw is going to do is make your odds worse and in ten years people will be saying Idaho needs a point system…oh, wait, people are already saying that. We all know point systems fix everything.

Don’t give up the last remaining shot at tags you have. Take it to a draw and you will never get it back.

I live 20 minutes from the Idaho border. If you take this to a draw, I personally know 20-25 people that would apply every year but don’t currently try because of the hassle it is. Your draw odds will only get worse.
I agree with some of this, keep it how it is just make it run smoother right?
Your tellin me you know a couple dozen people that are too lazy to get online and get a random # or better yet take a day off and get in line at a vendor and have good odds at hunting some of the best units in the state but these folks will take the time to pay and enter a draw with super low draw odds?
20 min from the border? You need a new bff🤣?

CorbLand

WKR
I agree with some of this, keep it how it is just make it run smoother right?
Your tellin me you know a couple dozen people that are too lazy to get online and get a random # or better yet take a day off and get in line at a vendor and have good odds at hunting some of the best units in the state but these folks will take the time to pay and enter a draw with super low draw odds?
20 min from the border? You need a new bff🤣?
I would way rather see Idaho try to make the current system better but even if they didn’t, it would be better than making it a draw.

Yes, I do know people that choose not to deal with the hassle. If you made it easy to apply, they would be more willing. The financial burden isn’t as hard for some people so making them apply and pay an application fee isn’t going to work.

13 minutes from the border if we want to get technical.

Lawnboi

WKR
A lot more people will apply in a draw because it won’t all be happening in a 12 hr window, it will be happening over a month long window. We are on the same page here, the rest of these guys don’t seem to understand a draw is going to mean increased demand for the already limited supply

So let’s keep it hard for the guy who can’t take off work for a flipping internet line or to travel.

Not everyone can sit their ass on a computer all day at work.

Sounds like people want to keep it easy for themselves and a hassle for others.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
So let’s keep it hard for the guy who can’t take off work for a flipping internet line or to travel.

Not everyone can sit their ass on a computer all day at work.

Sounds like people want to keep it easy for themselves and a hassle for others.
Absolutely. If you can’t take off a day or so in advance, your probably not that serious about getting a tag and burning vacation time to hunt in the first place.
And no it’s not easy taking time off, arranging childcare, driving 1k miles one way and waiting in line, nothing is still guaranteed but better odds than a draw I would assume.

Lawnboi

WKR
Absolutely. If you can’t take off a day or so in advance, your probably not that serious about getting a tag and burning vacation time to hunt in the first place.
And no it’s not easy taking time off, arranging childcare, driving 1k miles one way and waiting in line, nothing is still guaranteed but better odds than a draw I would assume.
You’re in a much better position than I am if you can stomach taking or even getting time off work to gamble.

bignocks

FNG
It does suck and it’s not the barrier to entry I would prefer but it beats raising prices to levels that mitigate it.

Either way, you are assigned a random number. There isn’t much of a difference there. All draw is going to do is make your odds worse and in ten years people will be saying Idaho needs a point system…oh, wait, people are already saying that. We all know point systems fix everything.

Don’t give up the last remaining shot at tags you have. Take it to a draw and you will never get it back.

I live 20 minutes from the Idaho border. If you take this to a draw, I personally know 20-25 people that would apply every year but don’t currently try because of the hassle it is. Your draw odds will only get worse.
I don't disagree what ur saying. But the point is I didn't even get a random number. If the system won't let u get on before the deadline until after then u go straight to the back of the line. Like i said if it works I like the system. If it doesn't work like what just happened Then I got zero chance at a tag. Clearly u got logged on to get a number. That's awesome. I however kept getting an error message until an hour later and was almost number 27000. That was back of the line. That was not a random number. If I get a crap random number I can accept that. That isn't what happened tho. So I guess I'll take a 1% chance before getting a 0% chance like what just happened if that will happen again

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
No point system, only 1 hunt choice, and combine current general and limited hunt choices for nonresidents?

If it comes down to getting a tag its doable. Only a matter of how picky you are. I didnt have internet where i was working and couldnt log on. I did logon at 2 and got number 47,000 in line. When my number came up at 9:10 pm there were still deer and elk tags available. I understand they are not desirable tags at all but its still an otc tag.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Grundy53

WKR
I don't disagree what ur saying. But the point is I didn't even get a random number. If the system won't let u get on before the deadline until after then u go straight to the back of the line. Like i said if it works I like the system. If it doesn't work like what just happened Then I got zero chance at a tag. Clearly u got logged on to get a number. That's awesome. I however kept getting an error message until an hour later and was almost number 27000. That was back of the line. That was not a random number. If I get a crap random number I can accept that. That isn't what happened tho. So I guess I'll take a 1% chance before getting a 0% chance like what just happened if that will happen again
Same happened to me. Tried to get in at 8:30 on the dot. Wouldn't let me in until almost 10:00. I was over 31,000.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
If I’ve figured it out they have to take it to the state legislature to start the process which they started to in 2016. There were troubles in the past with insider deals apparently, who would think two legislators getting bighorn tags the same year.
A draw system would at least cut back on tempers and lots of nasty stuff.
only my opinion

If I’ve figured it out they have to take it to the state legislature to start the process which they started to in 2016. There were troubles in the past with insider deals apparently, who would think two legislators getting bighorn tags the same year.
A draw system would at least cut back on tempers and lots of nasty stuff.
only my opinion

Not legislators, 2 IDFG commissioners, but those bighorn tags were also for 27-1, which has draw odds for residents as high as 25% some years so it isn’t that much of a stretch to believe that 2 committed outdoorsmen(enough so to be appointed by the governor to the wildlife commission) might both draw in the same year.