Idaho Tag Site Already Crashed

Fullfan

WKR
You waited in line overnight? How many others were in line doing the same?
Yes I did along w 60-70 other ppl. The problem that I see is. Several outfitters were there buying 5-9 tags each. I questioned them about the tags set aside for the outfitters. Both said they were only given a set number of tags each. So they show up buy tags. Which in turn takes tags away from nonresidents. I was in line w guys from Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Dakota and North Carolina. And it was very cold waiting in line.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I did along w 60-70 other ppl. The problem that I see is. Several outfitters were there buying 5-9 tags each. I questioned them about the tags set aside for the outfitters. Both said they were only given a set number of tags each. So they show up buy tags. Which in turn takes tags away from nonresidents. I was in line w guys from Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Dakota and North Carolina. And it was very cold waiting in line.
1669994822593.png

Rob5589

WKR
There are tags for outfitters in addition to non residents. You can see the breakdown on the IDFG website.

TheTone

WKR
Correct. But I’m assuming these outfitters receive these already allocated tags for them another way then waiting in line dec 1.
Correct. There is absolutely no reason for them to be buying stuff yesterday. I know of outfitters that are picking up tags really late in the year

IdahoBeav

WKR
If all NR tags are switched to controlled hunts, it will be random draw per Idaho's controlled hunt process- no preference points.

Many people will still be very unhappy.

The reality is that herds in the west cannot support OTC-hunt-every-year for all who desire. OTC mule deer and elk hunts will soon be a thing of the past.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to the outfitters buying tags yesterday, that’s pretty normal. They have sold the hunt to a non resident and are there buying the tag for the non res. All the non res has to do is give his online info(last name, dob, last four of SSN) to outfitter and they do the deal at the sales counter.

Gobbler36

WKR
I was in F&G office yeat trying to help out a friend that got me into hunting get a tag and it was crazy …. Ppl driving 10+ hrs to get an Fn tag. insane to me. Idaho has to just make OTC NR tags a draw. 1 day application and you find out in 2-3 weeks whether or not you are successful and then have the limited entry portion at the same time as current. to continue this is ludicrous. there’s simply just too much damn demand. I’d like to see us cut otc as well but im not that lucky

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to the outfitters buying tags yesterday, that’s pretty normal. They have sold the hunt to a non resident and are there buying the tag for the non res. All the non res has to do is give his online info(last name, dob, last four of SSN) to outfitter and they do the deal at the sales counter.
Outfitters are guaranteed a certain number of tags each. Are you telling me they choose dec 1 to wait in line to pick these up? Or am I missing something?

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
If all NR tags are switched to controlled hunts, it will be random draw per Idaho's controlled hunt process- no preference points.

Many people will still be very unhappy.

The reality is that herds in the west cannot support OTC-hunt-every-year for all who desire. OTC mule deer and elk hunts will soon be a thing of the past.
As a resident, I would love to see reduced resident tags as well.

Broomd

WKR
Yes, OTC for residents cannot continue with the rate the state's population is increasing.
Idaho is a sh!t show anymore statewide, this tag process is just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the guys here whining about the system would loathe the process as a resident if it were occurring in their home state, NR's everywhere and few actually contributing anything to the actual state economy beyond tag fees.

As unit 5 Idahoans, we've been very thankful to see the NR hunters way down in our unit. Even Res numbers are down due to insanely high tribal access fees and logging co's putting a moratorium on ATV use.
It's night and day out there.
Anecdotal here, but when every neighbor says 'wow, it's so much quieter out there' there is true to be found. We saw more cars on our frontage road in one day in years past than we saw all season this year! Thumbs up!

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I waited online all day. Went from 20,000 to 9,500.

Then in 1.5 hours it went from 9,500 to past me and I missed it due to work. Sad part is, I think the tag i wanted was still available.

Oh well, i'll hunt somewhere else. good luck to everyone that was able to get a tag!

I waited online all day. Went from 20,000 to 9,500.

Then in 1.5 hours it went from 9,500 to past me and I missed it due to work. Sad part is, I think the tag i wanted was still available.

Oh well, i'll hunt somewhere else. good luck to everyone that was able to get a tag!

If it’s still available then log in and buy it today, there is no wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deucebump

WKR
So we all know the current system is a total disaster, and want to see something change. But, do you really think anything will happen?? If you look at it from the state perspective, they sold every single deer tag available to NR in less than 24hrs! Thats easy money in the bank for them, what would be their motivation to change anything?? People like us bitching about the current system? I highly doubt it, they dont care. They have quotas set where they feel they need/want them, and they sold them all in a day. Win/win for the state!

This is just like CO and their unlimited OTC rifle elk tags. Their harvest numbers never really change no matter how many tags they sell. Everybody complains like crazy, but the state makes more money every year as other states limit NRs more and more each year, and those guys just figure “lets just grab a CO OTC tag and go hunt.” The state laughs all the way to the bank and nothing changes.

These are just some of my thoughts, and curious to what others think.

Flyjunky

WKR
What is the reason IDFG does things this way? Do most resident hunters like the system in place right now?

Seems to me they could do OTC for residents and random draw for non-residents. They could charge a fee for the draw and make more money than they do now. It seems to me they are losing money using the current system because many people don't/can't do the wait in line thing, can't hunt with friends/family, get out of line if they have a high number or their hunt unit is sold out etc. A random draw with a decent fee would make them much more money in my mind.

IdahoBeav

WKR
It seems to me they are losing money using the current system because many people don't/can't do the wait in line thing, can't hunt with friends/family, get out of line if they have a high number or their hunt unit is sold out etc.

They are selling all of the tags in the quotas. Maybe there is more money to be made with application fees if it's all switched to controlled, but regardless of how many people are fed up with the current system, there are others to buy up all of the tags.