Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

Did I say anything about banning hunting? Come on. So, stress the animals twice? Are you a shed hunter? Shed hunting is in the spring after a winter for the animals. Hunting is when they are coming into a winter, in the best shape of the year. Pretty easy to see that difference, IMO...

Did I say anything about banning hunting? Come on. So, stress the animals twice? Are you a shed hunter? Shed hunting is in the spring after a winter for the animals. Hunting is when they are coming into a winter, in the best shape of the year. Pretty easy to see that difference, IMO...
And going into winter with as much fat as possible increases the survivability greatly.

Better not stress them coming into winter.

And, because the rodent pedaling my brain is a squirrel, does anyone actually know anyone that has bought antlers? The idea of owning antlers from an animal with no personal connection always struck me as odd.
The majority of sheds are bought by antler buyers who in turn sell them to be made into dog chews and boner pills.

You don't get it, I'm not gonna debate it with you. I've come out with reasons and logical points. You come back with not much. Good luck.

You don't get it, I'm not gonna debate it with you. Good luck.
I get it.
Animal hassasment is already illegal.

Just like banning guns when murder is illegal.

Sorry I'm just not for more government.
I'm not for more taxes or my money leaving my pocket so they can fly to child pedo Island.

And its non resident only.
Yup its only the non resident harassing the animals.

At least vote to ban things fairly.

If it about animal harassment. Then it should be an all out ban to entry.
Not a single person gets to leave 50 ft from the centerline if the road.
Not a snow shoer, cross country skier, not a mom changing a diaper.
No body

You don't get it, I'm not gonna debate it with you. I've come out with reasons and logical points. You come back with not much. Good luck.
I get that if it does effect you your all for banning it.
Don't stand together just like the hunters that let hound hunting for lions in Oregon get banned.

Then gripe up and down about all the lions killing all the deer.

Appreciate the words, less gov't is always a good thing. Your fire and passion for the big picture is evident.

Most people doing outdoor recreation in winter are staying well out of the middle of areas where elk winter and congregate. Shed hunters go busting through to where they know the best chance to find sheds will be, which is typically where the animals would be found or are in the vicinity.

It's going in the woods chasing sheds in winter, resident or not, that is at fault for this even being an issue. No self moderation, and too much social media glorifying it and folks posting up saying "look at me".

CorbLand

WKR
I think in a round about way the meat harvested off game animals is profit.
Sure you can't sell it. But it offsets the meat you do have to buy.

We should make a law where we have to pay the state for every pound of meat harvested.
I should know better than to respond to this but that’s why you have to buy a license and/or tag. Yep, not by the pound but you are literally paying the state, and in turn it’s citizens to take that meat.

The funny thing is you tried to make this post as a reason why there shouldn’t be a shed license but instead it made an argument for why there should be one.

I should know better than to respond to this but that’s why you have to buy a license and/or tag. Yep, not by the pound but you are literally paying the state, and in turn it’s citizens to take that meat.

The funny thing is you tried to make this post as a reason why there shouldn’t be a shed license but instead it made an argument for why there should be one.
I just don't agree that selling antlers is the same as taking game.

And a hunting license i mean for real?

And that said. If the case is made why on non residents pay?

Residents pay for a hunting license rite?
Why shouldn't they pay for the shed license?

OP
Travis Hobbs
Looks like bill will be in resource committee tomorrow.

I think I could support requiring a hunting license to gather sheds. But as always I want to know the details as that’s usually where it gets weird.

I’m curious to see how it’s presented, mostly what “they” are hoping it accomplishes.

IMG_5576.jpeg

Appreciate the words, less gov't is always a good thing. Your fire and passion for the big picture is evident.

Most people doing outdoor recreation in winter are staying well out of the middle of areas where elk winter and congregate. Shed hunters go busting through to where they know the best chance to find sheds will be, which is typically where the animals would be found or are in the vicinity.

It's going in the woods chasing sheds in winter, resident or not, that is at fault for this even being an issue. No self moderation, and too much social media glorifying it and folks posting up saying "look at me".
Well last year a member posted about seeing shed hunter come busting out of the woods on the summit in Utah.
And its also a very popular snowmobiling area.

So I disagree that outdoor rec people are not in some of the exact same areas.

All im say is if we are going to discriminate let's discriminate evenly.

All you get when you single people out is enemys.

I free ethics course online would be one thing.
Or even a one time permanent permit like hunters safety.

But they are targeting non residents and non residents monetarily.

CorbLand

WKR
I just don't agree that selling antlers is the same as taking game.

And a hunting license i mean for real?

And that said. If the case is made why on non residents pay?

Residents pay for a hunting license rite?
Why shouldn't they pay for the shed license?
You can go read my other comments on this thread. I don’t agree with a license and agree that if implemented, it should be for everyone.

I am saying that comments like yours and all the people that threw a fit about the emergency closures last year are the ones that are to blame for this. It brought it to the forefront of what was going on and to the level. It was only a matter of time until someone caught on.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Non residents have to buy a license but residents do it for free, makes total sense.

Archer86

WKR
What everyone fails to relize is a resident will likely have a valid hunting license regardless all this will do is make the guy looking for sheds with no intent of hunting idaho buy one and then probabaly apply for the limited quota tags.

Looks like bill will be in resource committee tomorrow.

I think I could support requiring a hunting license to gather sheds. But as always I want to know the details as that’s usually where it gets weird.

I’m curious to see how it’s presented, mostly what “they” are hoping it accomplishes.

View attachment 679351
@Travis Hobbs , it will be interesting to see what the driving force is behind this bill. Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Makes about as much sense as a hiking or bird watching license.
Or just get the combo license and view anything you like.
Dont forget to pick up your O2 use stamp for 10$.
And remember, no rubber soled shoes on public lands.
Those little chips of shredded rubber are bad for the environment.

You can go read my other comments on this thread. I don’t agree with a license and agree that if implemented, it should be for everyone.

I am saying that comments like yours and all the people that threw a fit about the emergency closures last year are the ones that are to blame for this. It brought it to the forefront of what was going on and to the level. It was only a matter of time until someone caught on.
Agreed 100%. Colorado was over run with tourons 4 years ago and it has only somewhat subsided. Apps like "All Trails" made a killing while killing local areas with all the people showing up, parking on streets, blocking driveways, blocking emergency access, pissing around high mountain lakes and causing dangerous levels of nitrogen to leech into the water compromising fish. All because they are too damn lazy to stay more than 100 feet from any water source. Yes, it's true.

I don't think much more highly of hunting apps in most cases. Those are called the easy button.

It's those folks that complained the most when small communities, or even not so small communities put in pay parking or made parking illegal in areas that never should have had that problem. People by the 100's of thousands, while probably not on this forum, don't give a rip.

People that don't see the overuse and glorification of shed hunting and are upset about a fee to do it, definitely should stay home. However, most will complain and still pay if it comes to that and not see the big picture of how it affects the animals.

Idaho must have figured out that there are a lot of folks coming from out of state, based on the posts on social media and the attention it got. Just like hunting licenses, out of state pays more. If residents are free and out of state has a fee, it is consistent with the animals belonging to the state, and the sheds do too.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. Colorado was over run with tourons 4 years ago and it has only somewhat subsided. Apps like "All Trails" made a killing while killing local areas with all the people showing up, parking on streets, blocking driveways, blocking emergency access, pissing around high mountain lakes and causing dangerous levels of nitrogen to leech into the water compromising fish. All because they are too damn lazy to stay more than 100 feet from any water source. Yes, it's true.

I don't think much more highly of hunting apps in most cases.

It's those folks that complained the most when small communities, or even not so small communities put in pay parking or made parking illegal in areas that never should have had that problem. People by the 100's of thousands, while probably not on this forum, don't give a rip.

People that don't see the overuse and glorification of shed hunting and are upset about a fee to do it, definitely should stay home. However, most will complain and still pay if it comes to that and not see the big picture of how it affects the animals.

Idaho must have figured out that there are a lot of folks coming from out of state, based on the posts on social media and the attention it got. Just like hunting licenses, out of state pays more. If residents are free and out of state has a fee, it is consistent with the animals belonging to the state, and the sheds do to.
Do I not get it.
Or do I just don't agree?

Show me one autopsy a bio performed that says cause of death.
Shed hunting.

CorbLand

WKR
Do I not get it.
Or do I just don't agree?

Show me one autopsy a bio performed that says cause of death.
Shed hunting.
A quick google search will show that there are plenty of scientific articles, from universities and state agencies that show the effects of shed hunting and ungulates. None of them state that there is anything positive that comes from more disturbance on the landscape, especially on wintering herds.