Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

While it's true that some individuals monetize the sale of sheds, I believe that the real catalyst behind the surge in shed hunting's popularity has been social media influencers hyping it up. Simply banning the sale of sheds won't entirely solve the problem. Many prioritize garnering views and clicks over actual sales.
I think you're mostly correct, but consider that after the clicks and views the sheds are then sold further monetizing the whole shebang.

Not a fan of the legislature imposing on an agency's prerogatives, but I will admit, I don't hate the result of this bill (requiring NRs to purchase a license to acquire Idaho resources). I have been asking IDFG to require a license for someone to use WMAs for a while now. But why on earth are sheep non included.

MNBob

FNG
I am in support of banning the sale of antlers. And then seasons for shed hunting to prevent animal stress. Without the need for licenses.

I'm pretty skeptical of most everything that legislators propose regarding IFG. Certain legislators even more so. Both of these bills (587 586), going through the W&M committee instead of the the traditional path of the Resource and Conservation committee is suspect. The bill's sponsor didn't come up with these on his own. The amount of money this one will generate won't be enough to move any scales, so what's the angle? I can almost guarantee that it isn't for the benefit of Idaho's sportsmen.

CO's can't keep up with their workload now, just imagine having to stop by every truck pulled off the side of the road with out of state plates.

CorbLand

WKR
I'm pretty skeptical of most everything that legislators propose regarding IFG. Certain legislators even more so. Both of these bills (587 586), going through the W&M committee instead of the the traditional path of the Resource and Conservation committee is suspect. The bill's sponsor didn't come up with these on his own. The amount of money this one will generate won't be enough to move any scales, so what's the angle? I can almost guarantee that it isn't for the benefit of Idaho's sportsmen.

CO's can't keep up with their workload now, just imagine having to stop by every truck pulled off the side of the road with out of state plates.
This is generally why I don’t support shed licenses. It will only really keep honest people honest. The only way I could see enforcement working is making the antler buyers check for a license when selling but one could easily go to Idaho and then sell them in their own state.

Would make a lot more sense if it was required for all, not just nonresidents.

I think in a round about way the meat harvested off game animals is profit.
Sure you can't sell it. But it offsets the meat you do have to buy.

We should make a law where we have to pay the state for every pound of meat harvested.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider

We should make a law where we have to pay the state for every pound of meat harvested.
YES!!!! and then like a import tax to bring that meat into your home state! This will really hammer them clowns filling multiple tags!!!!

pugwylde

FNG
Just ban the sale of antlers and then there will be no need for seasons or permits.
Just to follow your train of thought, does that include things made with antlers? Has the potential to be some pretty interesting legislation.

And, because the rodent pedaling my brain is a squirrel, does anyone actually know anyone that has bought antlers? The idea of owning antlers from an animal with no personal connection always struck me as odd.

KurtR

WKR

If that’s the case I need to know where to send my bill I have a bunch of years I didn’t no damn meat. Haha

Get past the Gov't mantra. It's the wrong argument. It is clearly evident that shed hunting stresses animals.

To have to limit it in the first place is a sign way too many people are in it for themselves, have abused it, and give less than two rats asses about the animals.

Get past the Gov't mantra, and it is clearly evident that shed hunting stresses animals. I don't give a crap what money they make or don't make, and won't get butt hurt over the Gov't stuff.

To have to limit it in the first place is a sign people are in it for themselves and give less than two rats asses about the animals.
Hunting stresses them, and im in it for myself.
Should we ban that?