Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
The more $ in the general fund, the more pet projects/programs they can use to steer money to their cronies

Fair.

But doesn't the State of Idaho have a HUGE surplus, seems like they'd have all the slush fund they need.

What if....and maybe it's a big IF....they just want to have a higher barrier to entry and they know that charging money will weed out a bunch of people?

IDVortex

WKR
Fair.

But doesn't the State of Idaho have a HUGE surplus, seems like they'd have all the slush fund they need.

What if....and maybe it's a big IF....they just want to have a higher barrier to entry and they know that charging money will weed out a bunch of people?
I mean, we can all act like the world is full of unicorns and rainbows.

Mojave

WKR
So we pay for a hunting license, and if you draw a tag you have to pay for the tag.

A guy gets to pick up the same antlers as the guy that shoots a deer, but he has no limits. He is using the same resources, so why does he get to do it for free?

He stresses the deer, drives the same trails, and uses the wild. So why does he get to do it for free?

What really pisses me off is oblivous non-hunters picking up sheds. To paint or use for art. Zero positive gain for wildlife.

Yes we need a season, and a permit. Maybe not everywhere but most places in the west.

Reactions: TVW

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I mean, we can all act like the world is full of unicorns and rainbows.
Ok then.

Do you have a legitimate reason why you think they are so money motivated?

Do you really think a few thousand dollars we are going to get from some out of staters shed hunting is going to change anything?

Do you think that Moyle is going to be able to pocket that money himself? (I agree the guy is a scum bag by the way.)

Quick Google search shows the State has over a Billion $$ surplus, so it's not like we are hurting for money.

N8H

FNG
Let Idaho Fish and Game make decisions for the fish and game of idaho.

That being said, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of IDFG implementing a liberal shed season.

A permit is more complicated in that when people are not shed hunting, but come across a shed antler, it's tough to say "hey, you don't have a permit to take that shed home". A liberal shed gathering season sounds great but a permit I'm iffy on, unless it's for commercial gathering and selling of antlers. Just my opinion.

Ok then.

Do you have a legitimate reason why you think they are so money motivated?

Do you really think a few thousand dollars we are going to get from some out of staters shed hunting is going to change anything?

Do you think that Moyle is going to be able to pocket that money himself? (I agree the guy is a scum bag by the way.)

Quick Google search shows the State has over a Billion $$ surplus, so it's not like we are hurting for money.
Really starting to sound like a troll. Everything the .gov does is money motivated, there will never, ever be enough money to make them quit trying to take more from the citizens.

CorbLand

WKR
I am not as familiar with Idahos set up but does FG have the authority to implement a license or does it have to codified into law this way?

I bring this up because sometimes our own ignorance is our worst enemy. Utah has a split authority in that the Wildlife Board has the ability to do stuff but legislature has to do a portion as well. People don’t understand this and will freak out and blame legislature for things they are required to do.

Last edited:

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Really starting to sound like a troll. Everything the .gov does is money motivated, there will never, ever be enough money to make them quit trying to take more from the citizens.

I'm just asking a question and trying to get legitimate answers.

Haven't really gotten one yet....except "politicians are money hungry because that's what I think"

Sorry if that's being a troll.....or am I just a troll because I'm questioning what you say and you don't like it and your feelings are hurt?

Do you seriously think a few thousand dollars from this is going to make any fricken difference to the State or the politicians here?

I'm just asking a question and trying to get legitimate answers.

Haven't really gotten one yet....except "politicians are money hungry because that's what I think"

Sorry if that's being a troll.....or am I just a troll because I'm questioning what you say and you don't like it and your feelings are hurt?

Do you seriously think a few thousand dollars from this is going to make any fricken difference to the State or the politicians here?
My feelings aren't hurt, we're just in disagreement on the subject.

As to the question of a few thousand dollars making a difference? Who knows what they're planning to charge? If it's $20 and 50 people buy a permit then $1000 doesn't make a ripple in the total IDFG revenue.

If they charge $100 and 3000 people buy a permit that's a significant amount of money that they'll likely use to pay off landowners for crop damage and ammo for .Gov employees to shoot deer in Slate Creek.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
My feelings aren't hurt, we're just in disagreement on the subject.

As to the question of a few thousand dollars making a difference? Who knows what they're planning to charge? If it's $20 and 50 people buy a permit then $1000 doesn't make a ripple in the total IDFG revenue.

If they charge $100 and 3000 people buy a permit that's a significant amount of money that they'll likely use to pay off landowners for crop damage and ammo for .Gov employees to shoot deer in Slate Creek.

So wouldn't that be putting that money to use to serve the state/residents?

I don't see how the evil legislators benefit from that in a personal way financially.

Edit to add: My whole point is, I don't think that Moyle is motivated to do this for money in his own pocket like is being insinuated by some of the folks here. Newsflash, it takes money to run/fund this state, it's gotta come from somewhere.

2nd edit to add: If 3,000 out of staters buy permits to shed hunt in Idaho I'll eat my shorts :ROFLMAO:

It's my understanding that legislation is required to authorize changes, @Customweld is more versed in the subject than I am.
I don't think this is within the scope of power and delegation with the commission. The odd thing is both bills brought forth by Moyle are coming out of the Ways and Means Committee and not the Resource and Conservation Committee. W&M committee is a fast track designed for end of session legislation.

The money will likely be used to fund flawed management (CWD).
I don't see how the evil legislators benefit from that in a personal way fifinancially.
How do you think politicians become multi millionaires on a lowly public servant salary?
Newsflash, it takes money to run/fund this state, it's gotta come from somewhere.
We've got a billion dollar surplus, why do we need additional revenue?
2nd edit to add: If 3,000 out of staters buy permits to shed hunt in Idaho I'll eat my shorts :ROFLMAO:
I agree 100%.

Reactions: TVW

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hard time supporting anything if it involves the Legislature getting involved in Fish and Game issues.

My (controversial) opinion is they should just ban the sale of shed antlers on a Federal level, this would fix most of the issues they are trying to fix with seasons, permits etc. etc.
Exactly! Agree on all points

I don't see how the evil legislators benefit from that in a personal way financially.

Edit to add: My whole point is, I don't think that Moyle is motivated to do this for money in his own pocket like is being insinuated by some of the folks here. Newsflash, it takes money to run/fund this state, it's gotta come from somewhere.

If they don't want money why isn't the proposed legislation a free permit?

There is not law saying they have to charge.

snik

FNG
I have a hard time supporting anything if it involves the Legislature getting involved in Fish and Game issues.

My (controversial) opinion is they should just ban the sale of shed antlers on a Federal level, this would fix most of the issues they are trying to fix with seasons, permits etc. etc.

Just ban the sale of antlers and then there will be no need for seasons or permits.

And ban social media shed hunting pages, I know not gonna happen. Before SM it none of this was ever an issue. Thanks to Utah influencers with 100k+ followers for making it a massive craze.
While it's true that some individuals monetize the sale of sheds, I believe that the real catalyst behind the surge in shed hunting's popularity has been social media influencers hyping it up. Simply banning the sale of sheds won't entirely solve the problem. Many prioritize garnering views and clicks over actual sales.