Idaho Panhandle Archery Wrap Up!!

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
That is a wrap on my 2018 Idaho Panhandle Archery Season. My first Elk hunt......and first hunt as an Idaho Resident.

Work and home obligations kept me out of the field as much as I would have liked.....but given the opportunity I would have hunted the 24 days and still felt shorted. Loved every minute of it.

Northern Idaho is no joke. Steep and Thick. Took me by surprise a bit.

6 days in the field, 50ish miles hiked. I thought I was in good shape......but my fitness was an issue. Need to work on that.

Had 1.5 days with no elk interaction at all. No bugles....no fresh sign.....nothing. All in places that Elk were seen 7-14 days before season.

1 day with tons of great elk sign, but no one home.

2.5 days chasing the same bull. Morning and evening he was predictable. Had him within 20 yards once, but winded us. Never did see him, but guessing he was a nice mature bull since he was running solo. Used the ElkNut Slowplay on his to get him talking and bring him in. last evening we tried to hunt him he was MIA......sick of our pestering.

All this hunting was the 8th through the 13.....

I also got a chance to go out yesterday for a last blast. Elk were SILENT. No response to bugles, but I did get a response to cow calls. Pulled a small bull within 20 yards but got busted by the extra eyes he had with him. Went back after him in the evening but he winded me at 30 yards.

PSX_20180910_115745-L.jpg

20180908_165808-L.jpg

PSX_20180910_175818-L.jpg

20180909_131826-L.jpg

One thing that really surprised me was human sign. Seems we were always finding boot tracks, or cameras, salt licks.........miles and miles away from roads.

Also the area we were seems to get a fair amount of pressure......

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you had a good time 👍 there is some pressure but hit them right and the bugling can be incredible and yes these mountains do punish us👊They have not gotten any flatter over my 38 years hiking them

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you had a good time 👍 there is some pressure but hit them right and the bugling can be incredible and yes these mountains do punish us👊They have not gotten any flatter over my 38 years hiking them
We had an absolute blast. Already planning for next year.

SWOHTR

WKR
Man, this sounds like my first three years hunting the panhandle - to a “t!”

Lots of people and hills steeper than the kitchen wall. I just drove through S Idaho and Wyoming and have decided that N Idaho is a special kind of rough. Thick and steep. Everywhere is “thick north facing timber.” Great country though, despite all the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
When my hunting buddy who has hunted extensively in NA and Alaska said it was the toughest hunt he had ever done I knew it was the real deal.