Elk in road sign in NM

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I drove to New Mexico to see family on Friday and on our way down I-25, about 10 miles north of Las Vegas, NM, there was a portable road sign set up in a field that said, "Elk in road next six miles". We have never seen a sign along that section of highway before though we haven't driven down there too much in the winter. Now there was a pretty decent snow storm ending the Thursday before so the mountains were really full with snow so I assume the elk have a winter habitat in that area. We never seen any elk but did see two large herds of antelope, hundreds at a time right near the highway, still pretty cool to see so many. The sign was still there on our way back home today but no elk again unfortunately. Anyone live down there ever see that sign or elk?

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea i've seen them there. I've seen them down there during September even when i'd expect to see them higher

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, that's good to know, I've seen elk on the west side of Raton pass in the spring time in the burn scar area.

Thanks, that's good to know, I've seen elk on the west side of Raton pass in the spring time in the burn scar area.
Cool, sounds like you found a good elk spot. Put in for the 2024 NM elk draw. Don't give out unit numbers or nearest town locations here and you're golden.

Last edited:
OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I should have added that I've been driving back and forth to New Mexico for 23 years but have only seen elk on Raton Pass once even though there are elk crossing signs along there.

Reminds me of the wife that called her husband and said she hit a deer. He asked her how that could have happened, didn't you see the deer crossing sign? She responded, yes, but I didn't think they would come from the other side of the road......