I want a 6.8 Western…but…

Macintosh

WKR
Well, not sure how the old 270 shoots, but inside 500 yards a 270 is more or less identical to a 6.5prc and both are more than comfortably adequate for anything you want to hunt inside the ranges you specified.

I dont have a 6.8w, but it looks to be sending a 165-170gr bullet at about the same velocity that a 270 pushes a 150, somewhere in the 2900fps range…so its going to recoil noticeably more. Real-world velocities for a 7prc that I see seem to be very similar to this, so these two seem very comparable.

All of the above recoil too much for me to practice with assuming a standardish 8 1/2lb rifle.

Last edited:
I get your point, but you’re taking a very generalized comment literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and i've been around more than a few guys, including myself at one point, who were using magnums as a daily driver. 20 rounds is a lot in that situation, but in terms of what it takes to actually be proficient, much less skilled, it's nothing.

by dropping to a lighter recoiling cartridge, and adding a suppressor, i can now easily shoot 100+ rounds per range trip (shoulder and wallet). With the 223, 100 rounds per person is not just doable, but fun. That pays off big time when it comes to actually hitting what I'm aiming at. there's really no substitute for live fire, just like a bow.

Last edited:
Besides a very old inherited 270win that I’ve maybe shot 10 times, this will be my first hunting rifle. All of my shooting experience is tactical. AR’s in 5.56, 300BLK, 9mm.

I’m considering a 6.5 and 7 PRC also.

Recoil adverse may not have been the right explanation. I’ve shot a 300wm and didn’t want to keep shooting it. I want something that I can take to the range, send 20 rounds down range without starting to flinch after just a few shots.

Rebarrel the 270 with a proper throat and twist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Rebarrel the 270 with a proper throat and twist.

It’s kind of a family heirloom, but I thought about it so it can live on! 1970’s R700 inherited from an uncle that passed young.

I don’t know if an action that old is reusable?
70fb45d000c6bbde5508b44b7d21613f.jpg

jgraff08

FNG
Given all of your reasons in this post, I would not pursue 6.8W. It will never be as popular as say 6.5PRC or even 6.5 SAUM in my opinion.

Do you need a magnum class cartridge? What distances are you realistically going to shoot at on a regular basis?

How do u compare a 6.8 that has one major companies support and more niche support coming to a 6.5 saum that was rejected by big green never supported and has been a wierd off the wall wildcat ever since the 6.8 already won that race

It’s kind of a family heirloom, but I thought about it so it can live on! 1970’s R700 inherited from an uncle that passed young.

Those are some of the coveted R700 actions.

I would fix that rifle up properly with a new barrel with a proper chamber and twist rate, true up the receiver, bed it and shoot the hell out of it.

How do u compare a 6.8 that has one major companies support and more niche support coming to a 6.5 saum that was rejected by big green never supported and has been a wierd off the wall wildcat ever since the 6.8 already won that race

I can find ADG 6.5 SAUM brass.

I never implied it was burning down things with sales, but the 6.8W is destined to the same fate as at best an enthusiast cartridge once the new wears off.

ElPollo

WKR

Bird in hand. If it shoots well, upgrade your optics and mounts and hunt with it.

jgraff08

FNG
I can find ADG 6.5 SAUM brass.

I never implied it was burning down things with sales, but the 6.8W is destined to the same fate as at best an enthusiast cartridge once the new wears off.

And I wasn't saying it as personal attack i just hear that alot and it doesn't make sense to me 6.8 is a factory offering and can be made from other factory offering idk

Gila

WKR
Those are some of the coveted R700 actions.

I would fix that rifle up properly with a new barrel with a proper chamber and twist rate, true up the receiver, bed it and shoot the hell out of it.

I would keep the rifle just as it is. The 270 Win shoots very well. Going with a fast twist barrel won’t do you any good unless you hand load because you won’t be able to get any factory ammo with high BC bullets. SAAMI spec for long action COAL is 3.34”. That requirement must be met with all factory ammo.

gerry35

WKR

Get a good recoil pad if that one is hard and go hunting, the 270 is an awesome round too. I would ignore the 223 cultists and use what you have.

I would keep the rifle just as it is. The 270 Win shoots very well. Going with a fast twist barrel won’t do you any good unless you hand load because you won’t be able to get any factory ammo with high BC bullets. SAAMI spec for long action COAL is 3.34”. That requirement must be met with all factory ammo.

True.

I forgot the OP didn’t hand load.

Good point.

But, custom ammo could be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gila

WKR
True.

I forgot the OP didn’t hand load.

Good point.

But, custom ammo could be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s why I have a 6.8 Western. The Browning barrel has a 1:7.5” twist which is perfect to shoot their factory ammo loaded with the 175 gr Gamechanger. The SAAMI 6.8 Western chamber is perfect for shooting a 175 gr TGK or the Berger 170gr EOL. With the 175 TGK loaded about 15 back from jam the boat-tail/ shoulder junction is perfect. The COAL for that load is 2.943”.

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate everyone’s input. Learned a lot from this.

Two things that ultimately ended up sticking with me: 1) The folks that have the 6.8W seem to love them, but the folks that don’t seem very polarized about the round as a whole. 2) You won’t be happy unless you get what you want.

Was able to spend some time with my son, and he emphasized #2. So that’s what I did.

Pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a Browning Mountain Pro Tungsten in 6.8 Western. Figured if I’m going to have one gun, it better be a damn good one. Thanks all!