I want a 6.8 Western…but…

Realistic distance is probably 500yds max. The problem is I’m trying to make this a do-it-all rifle. Primarily whitetails here in Va where my absolute longest shot would be 200yds, then a nearly-annual trip out west for anything from antelope to moose. But again…I’m really not a gun guy, so bowhunting is going to continue to be the primary focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even more reason to avoid the 6.8W IMO.

The lowly old .308 will do everything you need given your scenario. Or if you just must, even a 6.5CM.

Buy a Tikka and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a 300 WSM on order a number of years ago but canceled the order because I couldn’t find ANY ammo. Bought the 300 win mag instead. Got into Hand loading because I couldn’t find any elk ammo for my .270 win or the 300 win mag.

I was like OP…bowhunted primarily on my own property. For years the only rifle I used was a .270 win that I hunted pronghorn and mule deer with. I harvested bull elk with the .270 win as well. The 270 WSM came out I think around 2003. That was before the high BC bullets came into play. Designed to only shoot short conventional bullets, the 270 WSM suffers from a slow twist like the .270 Win does. The 6,8 Western is what the 270 WSM could have been and uses the 270 WSM as the parent case. Ballistically speaking, the 6.8 Western is an awesome cartridge.

Browning uses a 1:7.5” twist barrel for their 6.8 Western rifles and loads the 175 gr Gamechanger for those rifles. Recoil isn’t much more than 270 win. The Winchester 170 gr power point would be good moose medicine, one would think. I haven’t shot anything with it yet, but look around and people are really happy with their 6.8 Westerns. The only way the 6.8 Western will get more popular is if shooters buy the rifles. I have wanted one since the cartridge first came out. You can change barrels on the Browning if you get tired of it. I say go for it if you want it.

Realistic distance is probably 500yds max. The problem is I’m trying to make this a do-it-all rifle. Primarily whitetails here in Va where my absolute longest shot would be 200yds, then a nearly-annual trip out west for anything from antelope to moose. But again…I’m really not a gun guy, so bowhunting is going to continue to be the primary focus.

6CM/6.5CM would be what I would look at. Either one is more than capable for what you are wanting to do. More brands of rifles to choose from. Ammo is available and relatively cheap. Recoil is light. Since you are primarily a bow hunter, I would think a rifle with low recoil that is easy to shoot would be the best option.

sounds like you don't "need" a cartridge that I feel will be gone in 10 years. I don't see the ADG brass "everywhere" mentioned in another response. Without viable reloading components and few factory offerings, it's dead in the water and doesn't know it.

I get that, but where I’m located, I don’t see 6.5/7PRC being any more available than 6.8W or any of the Nosler calibers. Locally, it’s 30-30/06/308/300WM, and I’m looking for a lower recoil option that still carries the high BC advantages that those newer calibers offer. Online ammo is the way to go.

I’m a pretty big dude, but I’m a bit recoil adverse. Don’t have the opportunity to shoot often enough to get more comfortable with recoil, so it is what it is.

I don’t reload and have no intentions of starting, so ammo availability is a factor in this as well.

This part here is huge. The only thing a 6.8W gets you over something like a 6.5CM is additional range before you drop below velocity threshold for effective bullet upset. This happens way way further with either cartridge than what you'll be able to utilize without several hundred (preferably into the thousands) rounds per year of practice.

If your practice limitations are as you describe, I would 100% recommend going with a .223, 6mm ARC, or 6mm CM. 6.5CM at the very most. Any of these get you past 400 yards of effective terminal performance, and the 6mm's get 500+.

If you (or me or anyone else) doesn't have lots of practice (and maintain that level of practice), you won't have the ability to reliably make first round hits past that distance with any cartridge, and going 6.8W, 6.5 or 7PRC, etc makes it worse, not better, through higher recoil and ammo cost leading to even less practice.

There is a place for something like a 6.8W, and it's next to a .223 or 6CM with a couple of worn out barrels. 600-800 yard shots on game are inherently risky even if you do practice a lot, and that is the kind of distance where the 6.5-7mm magnums are potentially useful.

As an avid bow hunter (I'm not but know a few) you can think of max range as something like 10x equivalent of a good compound bow in terms of practice required. Could you shoot your bow 100 shots a year and be good to 40 yards? 60? Most bow hunters I know shoot hundreds or thousands of arrows a year to be comfortable at 50+, but lots of rifle hunters think they are good at 500 with just 50-100 rounds a year. Then the rodeos start and they can't figure out why.

this is a 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 243 use case, not a magnum use case.

Look at it next to a 7 Rem mag or 7 PRC and no animal would know the difference - it’s a proven combination that has worked reliably since the 7 mag was introduced in the 60’s. Give a shooter three identical rifles and they wouldn’t be able to tell on the shoulder or on target which cartridge they were shooting.

If you reload all the negatives for the 6.8 go out the window - you’ll never run out of brass because it’s easily formed from other cartridges if they ever stopped making it with a 6.8 head stamp.

If you want something different there’s nothing wrong with a Browning, but it’s more expensive. Rather than off the shelf stocks, you might have to have one custom inletted - no big deal, but more expensive. Rebarreling is not a big deal - might be slightly more expensive because it takes extra care to get the old barrel out without screwing up the threads. If you’re not a gun guy, would you ever burn up the factory barrel?

I've killed 3 elk, 5 mulies and 4 pronghorn with my 6.8W with 175gr sierras. The elk were at 40, 250 and 500yrds. I do reload, but wouldn't hesitate shooting the Browning Sierra or Winchester 165 ABLR factory ammo. The copper stuff isn't my cup of tea. Factory ammo has been available throughout the shortages the past few years because demand hasn't been super high; not that hard to find if you're looking for it. In fact, it was easier to find than my 30-06 stuff a few years back. Lots of options for handloaders if you decide to start reloading. The ADG brass will be an upgrade for reloaders like myself.

The end of the day, get what you want to shoot. The 6.8W is a great all around cartridge and I'd recommend it for pronghorn up to moose with the right projectile. Lots of haters too, incase you haven't noticed.

I've killed 3 elk, 5 mulies and 4 pronghorn with my 6.8W with 175gr sierras. The elk were at 40, 250 and 500yrds. I do reload, but wouldn't hesitate shooting the Browning Sierra or Winchester 165 ABLR factory ammo. The copper stuff isn't my cup of tea. Factory ammo has been available throughout the shortages the past few years because demand hasn't been super high; not that hard to find if you're looking for it. In fact, it was easier to find than my 30-06 stuff a few years back. Lots of options for handloaders if you decide to start reloading. The ADG brass will be an upgrade for reloaders like myself.

The end of the day, get what you want to shoot. The 6.8W is a great all around cartridge and I'd recommend it for pronghorn up to moose with the right projectile. Lots of haters too, incase you haven't noticed.
No one is hating on the 6.8. It’s the best 277 cartridge ever designed. But if you’re not a gun guy/reloader and you’re sensitive to recoil, there are likely better options.

I almost pulled the trigger on an x bolt 6.8 western and backed out due to lack of aftermarket support and same concerns with rebarreling down the road. I'm sticking with Tikka's as they have plenty of aftermarket support, great triggers, smooth actions, and prefit barrels

I received this email from ADG on 25 Feb:

”We do not currently offer 6.8 Western. However, this caliber is at the top of our potential new offerings consideration list. We appreciate the inquiries and request to help drive our R&D effort.”

Berger designed the 170 EOL to be a 1,000 yd elk bullet in the 6.8 Western…For what it’s worth my limitation is 600 yards. The 6.8 West is a short action cartridge with magnum performance. Good to go for any big game animal on this continent.

From one of Rokslide’s own:

The haters on this fascinate me...it seems some weird combination of several things. Partly it's black-or-white, all-or-nothing thinking that you get with a lot of cartridge debates, where one little single aspect of one is used to entirely invalidate another. As though "there can be only one" great choice.

Another angle is rabid Hornady/PRC fanboi drooling. I mean, Hornady is an excellent company, but c'mon. If Hornady had made 6.8 W 6.8 PRC, the fanbois would be savaging something else.

Then there's the "shooters" who vilify a caliber because its G7 BC is .011 less than their pet bullet in their pet caliber, and has fewer "high BC" offerings (as defined by them)...when opining for a hunter who won't be taking shots past 300-400 yards anyhow.

And then there's the "availability" arguments, as though people are choosing their cartridge based on some weird SHTF scenario, or how easy it is to just pick up a couple of boxes before deer season down at Billy Bob's House of Fine Guns & BBQ. You show me someone who didn't learn from the last 15 years to buy years' worth of their ammo needs in advance, I'll show you someone who doesn't own a fire extinguisher.

There's no perfect cartridge, just like there's no perfect truck or car. Because everyone - and their wants, needs, and capabilities - are different. But there are dozens of excellent ones.

The heart wants what the heart wants. If you’re dead set on wanting a browning in a 6.8, chances are you’d be disappointed if you choose something else, wondering what could have been. Might as well buy what you want the first time.

If you don’t reload, find what ammo works for you and buy as much of it as you can early on. This will be good for lot consistency and won’t have to worry about it being available later on. If you start reloading, buy a couple hundred pieces of adg brass when it comes out and a pile of Berger 170’s. When you shoot out your barrel 10 years from now, maybe longer if you don’t shoot a ton, chances are you’ll want to try something different anyways.

I will have a 6.8 western but in a rebarreled tikka. Not really a fan of browning/winchester rifles.

I’m holding out on ADG brass. They are saying 3rd qtr this year.

6.8 western just seems like it could be a great everything cartridge and since I reload there is a lot of bullets to choose from. Light to heavy.

#savethe68western

I think the 6.8 is a great cartridge. Kinda wish I would have bought one the more I read on it. Hornady is definitely trying to kill it knowing it is an equal to the 7prc. I know a lot of people don’t like Backfire on YT but he had an interesting video comparing the two and questioning why the Hornady 7prc ammo velocities were inflated. Ballistics Info shows why. If it is true then you can see why 6.8western is equal to the 7 prc.

I think the 6.8 is a great cartridge. Kinda wish I would have bought one the more I read on it.
This is America buy one! 😉 it definitely been very high on the next rifle list for me but I’ll have to build a tikka.

I like backfire and I watched that video. Very interesting. He had a live stream today and stated that someone in hornady reached out and claims the original offering for the 7PRC used reloader 26 and was pushing them at speed the box claims. They’ve since switched powders and never updated the numbers on the boxes.

Seems like hornady is purposely lying to their customers about the PRCs. I’m debating on boycotting but it wouldn’t make much of a difference to me since I only load monoflexs in my 30-30 and Barnes in the rest of my rifles.

Last edited:
if you want one buy one life is too short to worry about burning out barrels :)
Get something like a t3 then you can keep swapping out as needed.

This is America buy one! 😉 it definitely been very high on the next rifle list for me but I’ll have to build a tikka.
Maybe someday. Just bought a fast twist 270 win that I’ve been working up loads for. Can shoot same heavy bullets as 6.8 western just not quite as high of velocity. So far it pushes 165 ablr to almost 2900 fps and will carry the 1500ft/lbs that most people go by for elk out to 640yds. Plus components are easier to find

Back