I have no self control

I've been holding out for a 140 class buck. I know there is one in the area. But danggit this big fella walked straight at me like I had candy apples and some fine doe in estrus. He gave me a 5 yard shot straight through the neck and chest. I guess he's good enough when the butcher asked to remove the head so he could have the cape. he's also the first deer I've dragged in awhile because I couldn't get him on my shoulders and walk 120 yards

yes I'm bragging

Attachments

• 20231031_181636.jpg
    20231031_181636.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 20231031_181129.jpg
    20231031_181129.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 300

Macintosh

WKR
So, for those of us that wouldnt know a 140” buck if it landed on our head, and who cant read sarcasm well, is this bigger or smaller than the one you were holding out for?

Please say bigger.

Macintosh

WKR
this fella gross scored 135.25 net score of 125.125
Honestly Im shocked. Maybe deer with headgear like that exist in my area (no ag, long winters, mountains, etc) but if they do Ive never heard of one or seen a mount like that from the area. Thats a stud, its hard to believe anyone wouldnt be over the moon with that deer (maybe you are). Congrats, and I guess better luck next time?? 😁

Yoder

WKR
I have some pretty nice bucks on camera and I would still shoot one quite a bit smaller than that. Nice buck.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Stud. Congrats! I’ve got an old buck that hobbles around my property, gotta be 6+ years old. He’s nice, but he’s nothing like that. He’s pretty much my only target buck for the year…if I had deer like that, I wouldn’t be complaining!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could never pass a perfect deer like that one. If it was broken, I would consider passing it.

OP
D
................., I wouldn’t be complaining!
I'm not
Honestly Im shocked. Maybe deer with headgear like that exist in my area (no ag, long winters, mountains, etc) but if they do Ive never heard of one or seen a mount like that from the area. Thats a stud, its hard to believe anyone wouldnt be over the moon with that deer (maybe you are). Congrats, and I guess better luck next time?? 😁
I'm hunting a semi suburban area.. Its much easier for them to become monsters in suburbia. Only reason I was holding out is because i know there are some much bigger deer floating around the area. I've seen them and they make this guy look like a fork tine yearling

Be Happy.
I am.. What actually cemented how nice the buck is, was when the butchered asked if I could let him take the head off so he could keep the cape. I think he was surprised I was going to euro mount it.

Macintosh

WKR
Its a great deer! Suburban or not, its very cool to have deer like that traipsing around your neighborhood.

Scottf270

WKR
As long as your happy, that's all that matters. I have been thru the whole "if it's brown, it's down" phase, to being " Johnny Big Buck hunter" , to being
" Mr. Hardly ever shoots anything".

I know what I want and won't settle for less. I have accepted that I have about a 5% chance of killing anything when I leave the house. I'm okay with that and I am at peace and enjoy my hunts now as much as ever.

NB7

WKR
Nice job Doc.
I've gone through phases too on how selective I want to be. Everything from "brown its' down" to holding out for something bigger than my previous best.
But ultimately I've just come to the conclusion on what makes me happy (especially if I'm bowhunting) and that's this: If I'm hunting the rut, and it's definitely a mature buck, and he's rutting, and the leaves are colorful and the air is crisp, and the deer are moving well, and all those good things are present, and if that deer gives me a shot...I'm gonna kill it too. That's what it's all about isn't it? Maybe the bigger one would have showed up, but maybe not.
Congrats on that deer!

OP
D
As long as your happy, that's all that matters. I have been thru the whole "if it's brown, it's down" phase, to being " Johnny Big Buck hunter" , to being
" Mr. Hardly ever shoots anything".

I'm in the transiting phase of Brown its Down Johnny Big Buck. I still wack does because I gotta eat, but it's nice watching small bucks walk by without knowing I'm there. I actually get a bit type writer leg when shooting at a point blank range doe

OXN939

WKR
I'm in the transiting phase of Brown its Down Johnny Big Buck. I still wack does because I gotta eat, but it's nice watching small bucks walk by without knowing I'm there. I actually get a bit type writer leg when shooting at a point blank range doe

Yeah man that's a beautiful buck for any fair chase operation. Apparently less than five percent of bucks make it to 130 or better in the mid Atlantic. Always kinda humbles me to know I'm in the presence of a master of survival like that.

Congrats!