I drew region G with 0 points and don't know anything

Why are you posting in this thread? You clearly know nothing of the WY system. You keep telling him to return the tag, that's not an option in WY. You don't know how the draw works. Got any pertinent info on region G?
Byeeeee

204guy

WKR
yeah I figure if I can get up there a few weekends in September I might be able to get one on the special archery, or if push comes to shove take a week off school and try to get one then. But if the deer are anything like here they'll be in the pine trees dawn to dusk
Since you're not that far away in SL I'd try to plan a camping trip, with family if possible in August to learn the area and roads a bit. For the hunt, hunting from a truck camp and walking in will be quite a bit easier than tackling a full on backpack style hunt. This doesn't HAVE to be a backpack type hunt. Don't have any expectations of killing a giant deer. Look for a nice deer that gets you excited and go after it. Learn how to do the gutless method of cutting up a deer, it'll need to come out on your back. Gonna need a halfways decent pack for that, too. Finding someone to accompany you would probably be the best thing you could do for yourself. Good luck.

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
Yeah me and my brother did gutless on my first deer last year, it was our first time cutting up without my dad and my brother had screenshots on his phone on how to do it lol. It took us a while and the packout sucked and we accidently dropped a tenderloin in the dirt, but I could probably do it again. The hardest part was definitely cutting around the balls and not wanting to pop anything in that region you don't want to. I got a pack that will do good.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do it old school, take a paper map and go hunting. Don’t wallow in the internet horse hockey posts. It really works just to park the truck, grab your rifle and point it towards a mountain off in the distance. You will feel your neck swelling once you do it. If you get a big one your chest might swell up a bit too! Have as much fun as possible, if your worried about going solo,drag someone along to sit around camp or in the truck. Don’t over analyze, people been whacking em with all kinds of weapons for eons and definitely don’t pay any attention to the negative nellies trying to throw off or discourage you. Congratulations on your luck in the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I‘m late and was making sure this thread was staying on course and saw this, that’s what I was thinking.

OP won’t have too much trouble finding deer, and would have a super time just exploring and hunting.

OP, your backpack will serve you well and I wouldn’t get stuck thinking you have to live on the mountain in one spot for your entire hunt. That’s if you have a big one scouted but without that, the pressure is off and you can just enjoy and explore.

(Remember guys, he didn’t get on here and start with the classic “…don’t want your honey hole but do you know of any honey holes?.”. He just wants some pointers, no harm in that and refreshing to see that.)

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
“…don’t want your honey hole but do you know of any honey holes?.”
It was very tempting to say- I've seen it go down before and it's always hilarious to watch. It's just that most people here have been hunting and killing mule deer longer then I've been alive, so anything's better then nothing from them

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It was very tempting to say- I've seen it go down before and it's always hilarious to watch. It's just that most people here have been hunting and killing mule deer longer then I've been alive, so anything's better then nothing from them
Sure, and the main thing I take away from this thread’s reasonable responses is “go hunting and enjoy yourself, you might not go this way again”

good luck.

What many people are hoping in this digital age is that we can get back to talking about the how and not the where. That’s why posts with a Unit in the title get people stirred up. Can’t blame them, everywhere is someone’s spot and we all cringe when we see ”our spot” show up in a search.

wytx

WKR
Good luck young man.
Was over there chasing moose last fall both in Sept and Oct. Deer will be where you find them, up high where the horseback guys are hunting or down lower running right across a main road during the middle of the day. Lots of road hunters and plenty of pack in guys.
Lots for areas other guys are overlooking, like easy spots too.

Enjoy your hunt since it cost you 0 PP and get to know part of the region or a specific area, then when you draw again you'll know more .

Rich M

WKR
I stopped reading at page 2. In adfition to the serious answers, a few comments.

If WY goes 90/10 for deer, elk, antelope, you will likely not see another g tag in your lifetime.

Go hunt, truck hunt. Be glassing at sunup and stay there for 3 hours if you dont see a deer to chase. Then be in place 2 or 3 hours before dark and glass. Find the deer and kill one. You can hunt timber midday or just look for fresh sign.

Practice shooting. Your 243 will work just fine to about 400 yards. Shoot enough that you know where it will hit any range out to 400, figure if you hunt hard from Saturday thru the following Sunday you will get 1 shot opportunity. Be ready to take it.

Im an older eastern guy. Hunted antelope one time diy and seen plenty of antelope and mule deer. Hunted mule deer 2 yrs and diff state later - got a really nice buck. Took 6 days and I know squat about it. We saw all the deer in 1 area so we hunted it. It isnt rocket science, just plug away, dont be afraid to talk w folks in the field tonshare intel or just wish em luck, and be ready at all times for that 1 shot opportunity.

Go. Have fun. Good Luck.

Azone

WKR
If your lucky enough to find a BOAL and get a shot in him you should……….never mind.
Good luck and go for it. The first time I finally got to hunt far away from home without parents/family is one of my best memories ever. Almost died twice, but damn it was one hell of an exciting time. Before you know it you will be locked down by a job or other obligations. Just be safe and don’t take unnecessary gambles. 243 will work just fine, just don’t gut shoot one and leave overnight, just in………I’ll just stop now.

OP, I bet you get some help from some good dudes. In case they don't tell you: 1) you keep that shit to yourself, 2) remember to send thanks or give a good handshake if you get the chance, 3) come back here and tell a good and honest story. Giver hell and remember to have fun, that's what it's all about.

Rich M

WKR
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say your referring to the grizzly bears that may or may not be in there
No he's trying to be funny - talking about a thread on here where some guy supposedly shot a buck and left it overnight, came the next morning and all that was left was part of the deer - someone supposedly took the antlers and choice cuts of meat, left the rest. It was a fiasco of a thread and the story never did make sense and was never finished. The original posters were jokers. Kept waiting for the thread to make sense and people were posting memes every 10-15 seconds. That's where the term "well known rokslider" came from.

Short version - don't worry about it.

Rich M

WKR
OP, I bet you get some help from some good dudes. In case they don't tell you: 1) you keep that shit to yourself, 2) remember to send thanks or give a good handshake if you get the chance, 3) come back here and tell a good and honest story. Giver hell and remember to have fun, that's what it's all about.
X1,000

Lots of folks ask for help, get it and then you never see em again. When you tell us about your hunt, don't give away any of the spots or tell any mountain names, etc. Also, be careful about what is in the background when you take pictures - maybe just a pine tree or rock pile that you can't see past.

Have fun.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
X1,000

Lots of folks ask for help, get it and then you never see em again. When you tell us about your hunt, don't give away any of the spots or tell any mountain names, etc. Also, be careful about what is in the background when you take pictures - maybe just a pine tree or rock pile that you can't see past.

Have fun.
The truth! It rubs everybody wrong when they step in and help someone and then we never hear from them again.

I suspect it’s because they didn’t get one but man we got to get over that. It’s OK not to get one. I haven’t got one in two years.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted region G or anywhere in Wyoming but you will learn a ton about the area if you are able to do a summer scouting trip