I drew region G with 0 points and don't know anything

Actually, my first recommendation was to hire the best guide he could. For that tag, that is solid advice considering how little he appears to know about the zone and ×=<×+÷/>/ pattern.
guide would b good if he can find one but the dad asked if i needed an ADULT to hunt it has me a bit concerned

A-Brakke

FNG
He is young guys, take it easy.

A few things,

Glad you are hunting and congrats for drawing what some consider a great tag. Region G is actually a pretty challenging hunt so I would encourage you to do your homework on the area quickly as season will be here before you know it.

You won't receive much help publicly for a few reasons. The main reason is anything posted on an open forum is searchable by anyone performing a google search. Hunting is competitive these days in that it there is way more demand for tags and animals than there are tags and animals available. Anything posted by someone who hunts the area would actually be hurting that hunters chances or drawing or harvesting in the future. The other main reason is because people put in a ton or work to learn areas. It can take years to truly learn how best to hunt an area. Most who have put in that work will have little respect for those that have not.

There is plenty of information on the web available to research if you put the time in. I would also encourage you to make a scouting trip if you can while the weather is nice. Maybe make a local friend if you can who can show you the ropes. Good luck to you.
Encouraging to see post like this. All the negative, and sarcastic responses to young guys being honest and forthcoming is brutal to watch. Great to see you pay it forward, and not be intimidated by someone else’s success.

Guided deer hunts cost more than guided elk hunts in that area. I highly doubt he can afford that. Call the biologist and tell him your exact situation. You can tell him I gave you his cell number if you want. He’s a super nice guy. He’s not going to give you exact areas. I can already tell you his exact words will be “Big bucks can be anywhere”. But he’ll give you excellent general information. Pay attention to every single word. You might get a few hints in there.

Gary Fralich 307-730-2802

Laramie…. you inspired me to help a little brother.

A-Brakke

FNG
Wish this kid the best, and an awesome hunt with his dad! Good word from the few guys that helped him out.

Love seeing all the negative comments as all the truck hunters squirm watching someone else have success. As a Montana Resident it’s good to get confirmation there are a lot of guys out their still sitting on roads wondering where the big animals have gone. 😂

Successful hunts continue to go up for those willing to work for it.

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
yeah I figure if I can get up there a few weekends in September I might be able to get one on the special archery, or if push comes to shove take a week off school and try to get one then. But if the deer are anything like here they'll be in the pine trees dawn to dusk

bpurtz

WKR
yeah I figure if I can get up there a few weekends in September I might be able to get one on the special archery, or if push comes to shove take a week off school and try to get one then. But if the deer are anything like here they'll be in the pine trees dawn to dusk

Wyoming provides a lot of good information about hunts - you should spend some time reading the information here:

After you've read through this info - come up with a couple good questions and put a call into the Wyoming F&G Biologist for the area you are thinking about hunting.

I usually try to do this type of research before the draw - for example, my crew and I were considering applying for unit 141 this year, but after talking to the biologist decided to apply for a different unit. The biologist I spoke with flat out told me areas that basically don't have animals as well as areas that shouldn't be overlooked.

When I was 18 I absolutely wanted to be in the field and hunt by myself. Be safe, but don't be afraid to do it on your own. It can be super satisfying. Best of luck with your hunting adventure!

blackdawg

WKR
Do it old school, take a paper map and go hunting. Don’t wallow in the internet horse hockey posts. It really works just to park the truck, grab your rifle and point it towards a mountain off in the distance. You will feel your neck swelling once you do it. If you get a big one your chest might swell up a bit too! Have as much fun as possible, if your worried about going solo,drag someone along to sit around camp or in the truck. Don’t over analyze, people been whacking em with all kinds of weapons for eons and definitely don’t pay any attention to the negative nellies trying to throw off or discourage you. Congratulations on your luck in the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I drew G too. Just a little different than you. I was unsuccessful in WY. My advice: Just go hunt it. Even if you eat the tag you will learn something.

S.Clancy

WKR
Utah isn't that far from G, pick a couple areas and do a scouting trip in August. Otherwise, it is unreal country in there, just absolutely unreal.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Do it old school, take a paper map and go hunting. Don’t wallow in the internet horse hockey posts. It really works just to park the truck, grab your rifle and point it towards a mountain off in the distance. You will feel your neck swelling once you do it. If you get a big one your chest might swell up a bit too! Have as much fun as possible, if your worried about going solo,drag someone along to sit around camp or in the truck. Don’t over analyze, people been whacking em with all kinds of weapons for eons and definitely don’t pay any attention to the negative nellies trying to throw off or discourage you. Congratulations on your luck in the draw.

This x10000

Just go hunt. Camp out next to your truck and hike to a high vantage each day since you don’t have backpack hunting experience. You don’t want your first backcountry hunt as a young lad solo in grizzly infested country. We all know your mom sure doesn’t want that either. Hell I’m almost 40 and my mom still hates me hunting solo. You should def drag a friend a long. Take a week off school and give it hell, way better memories in the woods than learning some bs in public school so as long as you pass all your classes. Don’t be afraid to shoot your .243 that’s enough gun for closer shots.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Also, I appreciate the nice guys in this thread but still everyone should use cation. Anyone can make an account and edit a photo. This is the internet. Could be an old fart looking for a sucker to give him a hand out for the feel goods. Best to find a local in person for real help. Whatever you do don’t post details about spots on forums por favor. Good luck kid, shoot straight!

I saw somebody shared a bio’s number with you above. Before you call a bio I strongly suggest you do a good bit of e-scouting. Try to locate 5 or 10 areas you want more information on and specifically ask about those areas. Just asking a bio where the deer are will get you very general answers. If you call and ask questions and the bio can tell you’ve done some homework you’re much more likely to get some good kernels of information.

2five7

WKR
Treat this opportunity like a scouting trip for the next time you, or your dad, draw G again. Cover lots of different areas. Find out where the deer are, where the people are, trailheads etc. You never know what you might find, even looking the "wrong" places.

Good luck, and most of all, be careful and safe!

Mojave

WKR
Most of 135 is checkerboard. So if you pay attention to your mapping tools you could hunt those BLM blocks.

There is a ton of public on the south and north side of Fontenelle resevor. But not directly up against it.

There will be grizzly bears in the areas that border 144. So don't hunt alone.

If I had that tag that is what I would do. Regardless of age or ability.

You have from 10days.

I used to hunt Montana in grizz country as a teenager. These z-gens need to man up a bit!

Have you checked the info Wyoming fishing game puts out, they have a website and everything. With quite a bit of information on it. They have contact numbers for that region.

If that’s too hard just type region G in to google and you’ll probably come up with 50 to 60 other posts very similar to this asking almost the same question.

Most of 135 is checkerboard. So if you pay attention to your mapping tools you could hunt those BLM blocks.

There is a ton of public on the south and north side of Fontenelle resevor. But not directly up against it.

There will be grizzly bears in the areas that border 144. So don't hunt alone.

If I had that tag that is what I would do. Regardless of age or ability.

You have from 10days.

I used to hunt Montana in grizz country as a teenager. These z-gens need to man up a bit!
If there’s a grizzly in 144 I’ll eat my underwear! I know I know… someone’s uncle’s brother’s mailman saw one down near Commissary Ridge. Blah blah blah. I don’t think there’s a single grizzly in region G. I’ve hunted it from the north border to the south for elk. Never a single track or terd. Guys I know who guide there say the same thing.