What don't I know from watching YouTube hunts?

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
If you are driving and hunting with others, make sure they are ready to go and bail out of the vehicle! They pretty much ignore moving vehicles, but the moment that you stop, they bug out. Have a hunter on the off side open the door and jump out (and hide) as the vehicle drives by!

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Watch out for cactus! Kneeled, touched and stepped on several when i went after them lol

Piggybacking off this… the one I shot in Wyoming in 2022 had cactuses on his legs. So be careful where you grab when field dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
Here are some tips that come to mind that I wasn't expecting:
  • Being able to shoot prone is good. Being able to shoot off sticks, off your pack, off your tripod while standing, etc. is gooder.
    • I have shot 4 antelope, only 2 were prone and I guess that % will drop in the long term.
  • Practice shooting or get good at stalking in less-than-ideal conditions. My shots have been at 110, 310, 455, and 250.
  • Antelope are very difficult to judge. A phoneskope with a low priced spotter make a HUGE difference compared to a set of 10s.
  • Everyone loves to act like hunting from the road is a waste of time and it's lazy. It might be lazy, but can be effective. Your tires move faster than your feet, and lots of antelope country is inundated with roads.
    • However, don't underestimate walking 50 yards off the road to get a better angle on more country.
  • Your eyes will save you more from cacti than some knee pads

kcm2

WKR
I've taken a lot of pronghorns, seven with a bow and over 40 rifle. One thing, if you look at his face, and everything looks black, it's a mature buck. He may not score well or may but he's got some years. Another, the trick is finding them and then getting close enough for a shot. They are smarter than you think. They will adjust their habits to how they are hunted. We hunted the same area in SE Wyoming for 12 years. They changed their patterns from year to year.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted antelope a ton in Wyoming. Probably killed 20+ and been around when another 50 or so have been shot. Never once used knee pads or given cactus a second thought 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’d say, just enjoy the hunt. Drive around for a few days eating potato chips and candy and drinking mtn dew. Keep your eyes open for antelope and if you see any short hikes that might offer a good vantage point take advantage. Make a mental note note of any bucks you see that interest you, and after two or three days of driving around, go back and kill the best Buck. They typically aren’t that hard to relocate. Above all, have fun. If I have to crawl to kill an antelope, it just ain’t worth it.

sambo3006

FNG
I find that a set of shooting sticks, preferably tripod, are much more useful than a rifle mounted bipod. As others have mentioned, shots from prone are not feasible many times. I have a tall model Primos trigger stick tripod that I have modified to spread out far enough to be used from kneeling position. I've even used it from prone position by gripping one of the legs and the forend of my rifle.
Cactus spines are definitely the real deal. I had one work itself out of my forearm several months after I got back from Wyoming. I have since started using a set of kids soccer shin pads on my forearms, since those are what contact the ground more than my elbows when crawling.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only hunted public ground. I’ve never hunted on the opener. People have never been a problem.

When I was in the service, I used to make perfectly serviceable knee pads out of a pack of kitchen sponges wrapped in duct tape. Easy to insert in the holders on my cammies. Always did me well for crossing the obstacle course, shooting on the range from kneeling position, or blundering through the woods at night. I guess I will do the same for antelope if I get that opportunity.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Antelope have great noses and will wind you if you don’t have it right.

Bucks are territorial and while antelope county is huge a bucks home range is relatively small. If you spook a buck he’ll likely be back.

The bright morning/evening sun is the Achilles heel of an antelope. Get it behind you and you can often move in much easier.

In many areas antelope are used to trucks driving by and will often tolerate them until they stop for a length of time. If you have someone with you, one can bail out on the opposite side and lay down while the other can drive on. The antelope will typically keep focused on the moving truck.

Antelope prefer to water a few times per day when it’s warm and dry.

An antelope herd will often have a lead doe that acts as a lookout. While you are moving in, it will pay off more to watch her rather than the buck. Often the buck will rely on her to alert the herd if there is danger. If you are able to beat her eyes you are usually in good shape.

If you are moving in and get spotted. Lay down and stay still. May take awhile but they will often forget about you. One of my nicer bucks came by using this tip and a few of the others I’ve mentioned.

There are all kinds of fancy gadgets you can take with you but understanding antelope will help you more. I’ve never worn knee pads on an antelope hunt. Just jeans. A little cactus working its way out will give you fond memories of the buck you killed…even months later!

The ship has sailed on the glory days of Wyoming antelope hunting. Now a lot of you are forced to hunt marginal areas if you want to go. Hopefully you have a decent tag…

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
Which state did you draw? I am guessing not Wyoming since they haven’t drawn yet.

Rich M

WKR
A lot of it will fall into place once you get there.

When you top a rise, do so looking thru some brush. Or they’ll see you and bug out like lightening.

Fun hunt.

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t watch Y’tube hunts and expect to go out west and know what you are doing. Not how it works at all

UT, 0.5% chance of drawing, but not a trophy unit.
Killed a few pronghorn in a couple different UT units, last was 2014 (pictured) before I moved to ID. Pressure is a lot less vs WY, people won't bug you much. This guy was really patient, as you can see my kiddos were with and didn't present an issue. Take your time, enjoy the hunt, you will have fun. IMAG0451.jpg

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Their vision is comparable to 10X binocs. The white hair on their rumps will flare prior to them leaving the country. If you find a waterhole that your target buck is using stake it out, he will be back. Seems that they are not real concerned, if they haven't been pressured, and will let you get to about 300yds. They know they can outrun their predators. They are diurnal because they rely so much on vision. Keep the sun to your back morning and evening, much easier to spot and they have a harder time of seeing you. They seem to disappear easily in sage brush and small coulees especially mid day.