Hunting with supressor vs brake

I thought the length of my supressor on my 26" 300RUM would be a pain but I never noticed it this past year in AK. I always carry my rifle in my hand though opposed to having it strapped to my pack or slung over my shoulder on a sling.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are other threads about hunting with a suppressor, I’ve commented on many.

Ultimately, there are many reasons to run a suppressor and I won’t go out without one.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Again, I'm a novice. Just reading about guys getting carbon flakes in teh barrel and having issues. glad to hear it's not an issue. You're swinging me more and more towards leaving it on the gun and going hunting.

Yeah, it is not a thing that happens with frequency enough to worry about. Just shoot it.

eric1115

WKR
I used to use brakes. Now suppressed 100% of the time it is possible to do so. No more gun purchases until I have cans for everything.

I've seen one or two people get suppressors and say "meh, it's ok but I'm going back to brakes" and dozens that have said "I'll never go back and I'll carry the extra weight/length/expense happily."

lintond

WKR
I’ve run a suppressor on my 26” ridgeline and although long it’s still worth it IMO.

I love the lack of punishment my ears take from a suppressor. Which I think is great for kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my first season hunting with a can and I won’t hunt without one now. In fact my entire hunting group is now getting them. It’s my favorite piece of shooting gear.

I bought my first suppressor this fall after never being around one before. I haven’t had a chance to hunt with it but ive shot with it enough to know I never want to fire a rifle without one again. If you expect movie like performance you may be disappointed, however if you go into it a blank slate I think you will notice the positives immediately. I absolutely despise brakes and won’t have one on anything I shoot.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
These were the kinds of responses I was looking for. Thanks fellas.

You read a lot online and there's a lot of bad information, but it sounds like for hunting purposes you can be plenty accurate even at distance and save that ringing in your ears. I killed an elk 9 days ago with a brake and my left ear is still ringing.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy shooting animals with a suppressed rifle and hearing the bullet slap meat. My bergara is long and heavier with my suppressor but I don't care. I'll carry a little more weight to be able to hear and not hurt mine or the kids ears.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to explode some heads on Rokslide, hunt with a Banish 30 and a Leupold VX5 HD scope.
I have an AAC cyclone 7.62 that I bought for my first suppressor that is long and heavy and it works great on a 6.5 in a bog pod. That rifle has a vortex strike eagle on it and it shoots great! Countdown to heads blowing up tick tock 😂😂

These were the kinds of responses I was looking for. Thanks fellas.

You read a lot online and there's a lot of bad information, but it sounds like for hunting purposes you can be plenty accurate even at distance and save that ringing in your ears. I killed an elk 9 days ago with a brake and my left ear is still ringing.
You mention being plenty accurate. It is unusual for accuracy to get worse when shooting a suppressor. Accuracy will sometimes improve.

While i am a FNG here, I have been shooting a long time with suppressors. The only time I shoot a rifle unsuppressed is when shooting 3gun. Any other time I am shooting a rifle, it is suppressed. To track cleanliness of your suppressor, you should weigh it when new. Then you can periodically weigh the suppressor to track build up. As others have stated, centerfire cans do not accumulate a lot of dirt very quickly. However, they are not self-cleaning. Regarding direct thread, muzzle brake mount, flashider mount, etc., all mounts I have on rifles that are only shot suppressed are muzzle brakes. The muzzle brake takes the initial blast of each shot. Having shot 3gun for several years, the muzzle brake will erode over time. Therefore, letting it take the initial blast should in theory reduce erosion on the blast baffle in the can. I have a TBAC Ultra 7 using the CB mount and it gets moved between a couple of bolt guns and a few ARs. I have a SilencerCo Saker 5.56, Omega 300, and Hybrid 46 that all mount on the ASR mounts. These cans get moved around among several more AR's and bolt guns of various calibers. The Hybrid 46 even gets switched out for use on pistols. I have an OPS INC 12th Model that gets moved between 3 AR's and a bolt gun regularly. Lastly, my TBAC 338 Ultra using the 338BA brake gets moved between 4 different caliber conversions for my DTA SRSA1. I do not see POI changes from removing my suppressors, which I do regularly. The common feature among all of the mounts I use is a taper to align the can. My direct thread cans stay mounted on a couple of dedicated truck guns. Being able to move suppressors around is helpful and makes cleaning the rifle when required easier.

I've posted about it a number of times but I'll repeat - first year hunting with a suppressor was on a 22" 7 SAUM and i used it for MN wooded whitetail hunting and a late season elk hunt where we were mostly tracking elk in snow covered dark timber. While it wasn't a big deal, the suppressor was enough of a nuisance in those applications that I didn't hunt with one for a couple years after that. After more time living in MN and less time shooting at long ranges out west, i've accepted that my practice time and competency for shooting animals beyond 500 yards is lacking and I don't need the 22-26" barreled magnums I used to use exclusively. 18" barrels and suppressors are the norm now.

I don't think using one on a longer barrel would be a concern on an antelope hunt but I wouldn't want it for whitetail hunting.