Hunting truck necessities?

I got a 99 Tacoma the other day to use as a daily driver/hunting rig. 2 door with half back seat. Also has a topper.
What does your hunting truck have that you really like/couldn't do without etc?
I am looking for some type of light for inside the topper, dont want it connected to the battery and also some type of hooks or bracket to store my recurve.
Thanks!

mt100gr.

WKR
Good tires and four wheel drive is the minimum for me. Try one of those multi-led "lanterns" they have at the hardware or Napa Auto. They have a magnet and a fold out hook. We keep them in our meat hauler packs to have in case we have an in the dark butcher session. They really throw some light.

This year, just like with the rest of my setup, I am really trimming down what I bring/ have in the truck. Anything that I haven't really used for the last few big trips is getting the heave-ho.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always have tire chains, tow chain, saw, and hi-lift jack when I'm going on 4wd trails. And a tool kit. And extra coffee (Via) in case I get stuck somewhere for awhile.:)

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
Everything 5milesback and airlocksniffer said. In addition, I always have 2 shovels and a pry bar. Rope is never a bad thing to have. DEF fluid for new diesel owners. Rubber boots come in handy at timees. I'm thinking about adding a small chain saw too.

tire chains, tow chains, winch, snatch block, choker strap, hatchet, shovel, spare fluids, flashlight, water, air compressor, minimal tools (leatherman, crescent wrench, screwdrivers, prybar) full size spare, sleeping bag in winter, gloves

charvey9

WKR
I drive a 4 door Jeep Wrangler.

I have a good first aid kit with emergency bivy, lighter, flashlight, knife, leatherman, hatchet, basic hand tools and socket set, hi-lift jack, tow strap, spare jetboil and fuel canister, rain gear, winter gloves, 2 days worth of mountian house, and at least a gallon of water.

In the winter I add chains and my snowshoes.

When I head up on the mountain I also take my chainsaw, but don't leave it in the back all the time.

jmez

WKR
Hi Lift Jack, shovel, tow strap, two clevices, jumper cables, and the most important thing is a spare that is full of air. I check the air pressure in my spare before I leave on any trip. If you never check it don't be surprised when you pull it out and it has about 10lbs of pressure in it.

roll of gorilla tape..almost as important as tp...also snake bite kit, sawyer...40 cal glock in holster on steering column...glucose substitute if diabetic,pop tart for me.....could list more but thats why my truck is such a mess...flashlight,sunglasses,cash,spare credit card,spare hitch pin. tool box in bed has socket sets,battery jumper,portable jack,star lug wrench,12v inflator,tire plug kit,extra ratchet straps,bungee cords,drawbar with adapt a hitch,suntan lotion,bug spray,folding chair,cooler

marc

Lil-Rokslider
Make a drawer out of plywood for the back to store your bows in. Only took me one busted limb to figure that out.

My rig is set up pretty well right now, a major thing I am missing that I want to get is a winch in case I get stuck. I have not gotten stuck yet... but I don't want to be that guy that has to call for help because the truck is stuck and I cannot get it out... I usually wrap my bow in a towel and wedge it between my pack and the back seat to keep it protected. A nice bow rack in the back would be sweet though.

Make a drawer out of plywood for the back to store your bows in. Only took me one busted limb to figure that out.

Not a drawer but 2x6 along inside of each wheel well with sheet of 3/4 ply on top makes a handy shelf for cases under , gear on top

Well I ran off this last week bear hunting and forgot the saw. I'd have been happy with a good sharp axe in the truck to clear deadfalls. It takes quite a while to work you way through w/ nothing more than a 14" Fiskers hatchet.
Second on the TP, forgot that too. Normally there's a roll in a ziplock under the rear seat, but it was not there. Thank God I hit McDonalds on the way up, the napkins came in mighty handy.
My Bic lighter ran dry, was happy I have spares in the console.
Hunt'nFish

TP and scent free baby bottom wipes. Both work well for the obvious. A headlamp that is specifically for the truck sure works great and is a lot easier to use and work with than a flashlight. I need a high-lift jack myself. A couple come-alongs and two or three tow straps sure can get a guy out of a lot of trouble. I also have one of those heavy stretch straps that you get lots of slack in and hit it, and it works so much better than a chain or a plain strap. When you hit the end of the strap and stretch it tight, just before it pulls your rig backwards, man it will jerk a vehicle out of a lot of stuff that a straight pull simply will not. It's a lot kinder on the framework on both vehicles involved also! A must have is a shovel. I cut the handle on mine so it's a bit shorter and it fits in the tool box in back. It also has a flat bottom about 12" wide that works great in snow, mud, soft dirt. I have an old cross-cut timber saw I carry under the back seat that is about 40" long or so. I had it sharpened and it works great if I don't have a small chainsaw for snags that always seem to block the road. 2-4 heavy duty hook pins to attach straps with to vehicles. Some basic tools in a kit is nice also. I think jumper cables are a must also. If not only for yourself, but for someone else you might encounter that needs a "boost"! A small 6x6' plastic tarp stuck in someplace sure makes it nice when you have to put chains on or get under a vehicle so you have something to lay on instead of the mud or dirt. I like to carry a container of BBQ briquette lighter fluid in my tool box in back. If you are stuck or have an issue it's nice to kick-start a fire with a little LIQUID BOY- SCOUT to get a fire going, or even at camp it can come in handy with the fire situation. A couple pair of gloves is nice to throw in too. I'm probably forgetting a few things, but I think that covers it. I second or third the checking the spare tire for air before a trip is really important.

David