Hunting truck necessities?

Don't forget a tire plug kit. Nice to pop a tootsie roll in and keep going.

And I also keep a small plastic container with various sized replacement batteries. Headlamp, GPS, rangefinder, flashlight etc.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Not a drawer but 2x6 along inside of each wheel well with sheet of 3/4 ply on top makes a handy shelf for cases under , gear on top

Can I get a picture??? I am being a mental midget today and having a hard time picturing this.

JWP58

WKR
Im about to build a drawer for my Tacoma's bed, to mount my dog boxes on top of. A topper with access doors on the side is a must. Two spares, a shovel, axe (beetle kill down falls) and a roof rack would be nice too.

Inside I keep a few map books (WY and ID...never know where you'll end up), extra batteries, ratchet straps, spare targets (never know when you'll find yourself at a gun range).

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you build a drawer please provide pics. I have a Gen 1 Tundra I have been hemming and hawing on doing something like that for to long now..

What I put in my truck really depends on where I am going. Spare tire and a jack seem to always go with though...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have a few hours to waste, heres a thread with TONS of pics for you....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system
Dang.... I took a real quick look.. I am thinking two pull out drawers in the front with two lift up drawers in the back. Debating how high to high to make the drawers... Also leave an opening on each side between the fender wheel and the tailgate.

Really want to seal up the canopy. Lot of dust comes in, primarily through the darn tailgate...

WKR
Short barreled 223. And for the topper, I like the fishing pole brackets mounted on the ceiling to keep rods from getting busted.

Mmcan

WKR
A make sure the spare tire that is the same size and roughly the same quality as the other 4. If you lift the truck and go with more aggressive off road tires, this will be crucial. This gets so many people stuck on the trails if they don't have the right tire when one goes flat.

Randle

WKR
X10 ^^^^ Make sure your spare is in great condition , Ask me how I know , my brother had a flat with his brand new BFG's and his spare was heat checked and went flat within 200 yards.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
My rig is set up pretty well right now, a major thing I am missing that I want to get is a winch in case I get stuck. I have not gotten stuck yet... but I don't want to be that guy that has to call for help because the truck is stuck and I cannot get it out... I usually wrap my bow in a towel and wedge it between my pack and the back seat to keep it protected. A nice bow rack in the back would be sweet though.

its not IF you get stuck somewhere, its when. If you drive a lot of sketchy roads (especially the roads in the SE corner of my state; OR) you will get stuck at some point.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone got any tips on how to seal up the bed? I'm running a canopy and from inside I can see daylight around the tailgate. Foam strips my best bet? Hoping to keep as much dust out as possible.

Can I get a picture??? I am being a mental midget today and having a hard time picturing this.
Not sure how to post pics a 2x6 on end running from front to rear in bed just inside wheel wells, one along side each wheel well then cut ply to fit and screw it down if it sags like mine does an extra 2x6 loose can be inserted in the middle to assist, dont screw this one to offset it a little to accomodate various cases. This can also be the frame for a drawer , but not sure if the sagging from stuff piled on it would affect the drawer concept

Mmcan

WKR
X10 ^^^^ Make sure your spare is in great condition , Ask me how I know , my brother had a flat with his brand new BFG's and his spare was heat checked and went flat within 200 yards.

Similar deal "don't ask me how I know". Have been on several Jeep runs where someone ends up borrowing another guy's spare tire bc theirs wasn't the right size or else it totally sucked and wasn't offroad worthy, or THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ONE. Go figure!!

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Wether it be weather, meat packing or an unknown circumstance ending up back at the truck happens. I have a topper and build a bed platform off a rock climbing crash pad with sheets and a down comforter. 5 gallons of water complete with a spigot that refills both bottles and bladders for resupply, chainsaw with extra gas and oil, recovery equipment(chains, hitch hook, tow chain, winch and straps) multifuel lantern, warm dry clothes, coleman multifuel stove with griddle, and misc snacks like nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal, etc, Delorme inReach, solar panel and phone charger as well as a spade and snowshovel. Oh and a 64qt Pelican Cooler stocked with beer, bacon and burgers. Sometimes when meat packing you get to the truck and are craving beer and a burger. Other times when its teeth-chatteringly cold and wet the only thing you want is a quick meal and warm, dry clothes. And sometimes it snows 2 feet between packing your first and second load and things get real interesting.