How to catch an untrapable mouse.

Tod osier

WKR
Also, turn the trap so the trigger side is against the baseboard.

Just a suggestion.

Adding a blocker like a brick or chunk of 2x6 to force them into gap made by the trap with the trap at 90 degrees to the wall is a good way to catch ones that don't eat a bait.

This thread got me all geared up to start thinking about vermin control for this summer.

WCB

WKR

Be careful though...by the looks of the maker of the video the jaws are pretty powerful....

Ralphie

WKR
Use antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket trap for cold places. I keep one in my barn. Works great.

TheGDog

WKR
Started having mouse dropping in garage where we'd store some dry goods. (We've since moved them all indoors)

Put out TOMCAT bait stations and very quickly had two dead mice in there.

TheGDog

WKR
The best combo I’ve ever used is a jelly bean crammed onto the hook of one of the classic victor snap traps. They love the sugary jelly bean smell and it is so gooey they can’t eat it without triggering the trap.
Caught 55+ mice this way a few winters ago.
Any flavor of jelly-bean, in-particular, that they seem attracted to?

Last edited:

LuvDog

FNG
Like others said. Turn that trap 90 degrees so it' perpendicular to your wall.

And, I've had the best luck with the bucket of death. It's incredibly efficient

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
If a mouse is getting the bait off without triggering then try using a Tootsie Roll. Chew that sucker up until it's gooey and then mash it into the trigger/pan. It will dry enough that they won't be able to get the bait off and snap!!
So the mouse or "rodent" hasent been getting bait off the traps, it appears that it doesn't even touch the bait at all. The live trap has had sugary Oatmeal in it for over a week now and it won't go in.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure sounds like it could be a vole. I used lots of traps, alternating between snap traps and sticky traps along two walls he seemed to like to travel- probably not coincidently that they were near the door where I think he was trying to get out. It took me two full weeks before I finally got him-I was not expecting a vole. But after reading it made sense- they generally aren't in your home looking for food, instead they got in accidentally and are trying to get back outside.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I had a buddy with an untrappable pack rat that lived in the hull of his boat. He decided to take a 12 pack of beers and a BB gun in there one night and sit in silence in the dark, drinking. When he would hear scurrying, he would pop his headlamp on and attempt to take a shot at the rat. Took him some time but this method worked out and he killed the pack rat.

I'm pretty sure this was all true and he didn't just want to sit in his boat drinking beer alone, in silence, but as I write the story I think maybe had some ulterior motives.

Sounds like a real SOB. I’m sure you’ve looked for any obvious mouse sized holes in the walls and cabinets. Do you or a friend have a thermal camera to check out the walls for the nest? There should be a warm spot wherever he’s/they’re hanging out.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3757.jpeg
    IMG_3757.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 53
I’ve watched mice walk right over that victor trap with copper trigger.

The yellow cheese square one is way better.

Did you try good old fashioned cheese on a classic mousetrap? Go old school! Put facing a wall/corner near where you see sign (mouse droppings). Wear rubber gloves handling the trap to avoid human scent. Don't let him see you place it hahaha. I had one of these and this is all the crazy shit I googled and tried. Persistence will pay off. Weird he's not touching the bait though, mine would get the bait every time without triggering the trap. The newfangled ones aren't as sensitive as the classic.

SonnyDay

WKR
Do you have a trail cam? It would definitely be worth knowing if it is in fact a vole. Totally different strategy there (and no blow gun).