How Much Torque?

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to resurrect this thread with more ignorant questions.

I'm not going to re-drill and tap, so I'm sticking with my new rails and the #6-48 screws, and I'm hoping to finish this project and "permanently" attach the rail to reduce movement of this component.

Question - what type of JB Weld is strong enough to work for these purposes, especially in the off-chance I change my mind down the road? It looks like the original can withstand 5020 PSI and 550 degrees and I expect would be the hardest to remove. It looks like KwikWeld withstands 3127 PSI and 300 degrees (so I'm guessing easier to remove down the road) and sets up faster. Would that be sufficient?
Have you considered Devcon Plastic Steel? They make a liquid epoxy version, that I believe is similar in adhesion and strength to the putty version that many bed their actions with. I have no clue if it's "better" for the application than JB Weld, but I have read that other guys consider it to have better adhesion.

fwafwow

WKR
Have you considered Devcon Plastic Steel? They make a liquid epoxy version, that I believe is similar in adhesion and strength to the putty version that many bed their actions with. I have no clue if it's "better" for the application than JB Weld, but I have read that other guys consider it to have better adhesion.
I haven’t - mainly because this has been still on my “to do” list and I’ve been distracted. Thanks for the suggestion.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Fastenal has #6 screws in a range, with the top end being 29 in/lbs. Granted the finest pitch listed with #6 is 40 rather than 48, but it’s close. I installed an EGW rail at 25 in/lbs with 6-48 screws, degreased and blue Loctite. I’m sure they will move with a substantial whack, if they do, I’ll try glue next.

Attachments

• FD03FB4B-3427-46D7-9B1F-F2330D3ACF0E.jpeg
    FD03FB4B-3427-46D7-9B1F-F2330D3ACF0E.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Just a quick update, I’ve dropped/knocked over this rifle and scope three times in this week alone and it’s been riding in my vehicle for the last 6 weeks. As of this morning, still holding zero.

I've done what form recommended..... didn't use a torque wrench, degreased, tightened till it felt like it was about to snap..... seems to work.

I understand not everyone has turned enough wrenches to have that feel and torque wrenches/values help here.
I got the feel for that by snapping some😂

I have sheered off a few little ring/base screws in the past… you don’t know it’s limit until you exceed it