How Much PTO Do You Have?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Prior to this year, I earned 4 weeks vacation per year and could carry 8 weeks on the books. I also earned 12 sick days per year and could carry 1,040 sick hours, or 6 months.

Starting this year, we are now under FTO. Flexible Time Off. Another name for it is they get the gold mine and we get the shaft. :D

No earned vacation; you can take unlimited vacation (with your manager's approval ;);)) and sick days were dropped to 5 per year. That would have been unlimited too but AZ has a law on the books that says all employees must earn sick time.

Eddie

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
currently:
333 vacation hours - 8 weeks
2 personal days - get 5 more July 1.
1070 sick hours - about 134 days - I get them paid out when I retire, or if something catastrophic happens
I will have about 27 weeks paid until LTD kicks in. I use maybe 1-2 sick days a year.

A lot of guys use the sick days like extra vacation days - call in with BS sick days. Drives me crazy, but to each their own. Most of them couldn't scrape together a week or two of sick time if they got hurt/sick, then they whine how they are getting screwed with no pay when they have no time to cover their illness.

jfs82

WKR
Working education I get 5 personal 5 sick days per year, but also about 11 weeks of school vacation (summer, winter, spring). I also never call out so I've got about 90 days accrued that I'm hoping to just keep going and tack onto my years of service for pension. Downside being, it's real hard to take time off when hunting season starts and school just did.

grfox92

WKR
Before I left my last job I got 5 weeks a year.

Now that I'm self employed I will get however many weeks my PTO envelope of cash allows me to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I switched jobs five months ago and currently have 10 days of vacation plus 5 sick days that accrue throughout the year. The catch is my company does a forced Christmas shutdown from December 23rd to January 2nd which sounds great but the company forces you to use 3 to 4 of your vacation days towards it depending on the year. So in reality you have 6 to 7 days of vacation plus 5 sick days. Personally I'd rather work around Christmas and have more paid days in the fall. Luckily I can take a few extra days unpaid.

So what happens if you burn those 3 or 4 days before the shutdown?

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I accrue 6.5 weeks of PTO a year, can keep about 9 weeks in the PTO bank before it stops accruing, tack on another 2 weeks of extended illness that doesn't have a max. One catch is you have to use 24 hours of PTO before you can access sick bank.

Kid #2 is coming in June, I'm planning on taking about 9 weeks when it's all said and done throughout my wife's maternity leave as I'm young and healthy that's the only real way to access the sick time I've been accruing. Even after paternity leave I'll still have about 230 hours of PTO sitting there. It'll be nice to have the time at home. I also only work Tuesday-Thursday so I have a pretty easy schedule, 4 day weekends every weekend don't suck ;)

I can only roll over 280 hrs, which I do every year. I have had that banked for several years, so I have 200 use or lose every year.

There is no cap on sick leave. I think I have over 1000 hours of that saved up. Whatever I dont use will counts towards years of service for my pension.

Mojave

WKR
26 paid days off a year for "vacation".
13 paid days off a year for illness
I have over 500 hours of sick leave.
31 days of vacation on the book currently .

I have to take 22 days of vacation or it is lost this year. I expect to get a 30 hour vacation bonus this year as well.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have 17 ten day stretches off a year... Equal amount of 24/7 coverage with 30 min response time is what makes it possible.

I get 20 days a year.

My company has 2 bogus policies:
1. If I quit I forfeit all accrued PTO
2. Must use 1/2 PTO by sept-1 due to “Covid”. That really screws up a hunting schedule lol. For 2020 and 2021 I was able to get an exemption because both years I was covering someone who left the company & very busy.

Both years I took all my time during hunting season, it’s nice not being married!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get that some jobs just give more time off but wow! What is everyone doing that gives so much?

I get that some jobs just give more time off but wow! What is everyone doing that gives so much?
That’s what I was thinking! I get 10 days vacation 5 days sick no rollover. Major holidays off if they happen to land on a workday but not paid. I’ve only used a few sick days in 15 years and was just thinking about how much money they have saved over the years by me not calling in sick.

That’s what I was thinking! I get 10 days vacation 5 days sick no rollover. Major holidays off if they happen to land on a workday but not paid. I’ve only used a few sick days in 15 years and was just thinking about how much money they have saved over the years by me not calling in sick.

This is part of what is causing what they call "The Great Resignation".

200 hours every Jan. 1st. I can carry over 120 hours a year for a maximum of 320 hours. In 4 more years I get another 40 hours a year.

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
No PTO here. Always told coming up through my trade, take off as much time as you can afford. So i guess i can take off a few months when needed

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I work 190 days a year. Each year I get 10 sick days which never stop accruing. I get 3 personal days a year but they max it at 6. I can take time off when I want but I don’t get paid for it unless it’s sick or personal days.