How much money after everything is paid for?

KsRancher

WKR
Its never a bad idea to "save" double or triple what you think you need especially if you have it.

I am getting ot the age where I get to see alot of my friends parents that didnt plan well for their "retirement" years that cant make ends meet with medical bills and medications included.
This!

Now this probably isn't very common. But I have learned over the last 27 months that no matter how much you plan things can still upend your plans. 27 months ago I was putting 14% into my 401k, had over a yrs expenses in savings and was putting back $750 month. Had zero credit card debt and no car loans. My wife getting pregnant with our "happy accident" everything disappeared.

Currently have zero in savings, $4,000 on credit card, $5,000 vehicle loan and down to just doing my 3% match in 401k and so on. Some things you don't think about like having more than one health insurance plan. My wife has hers thru her work and I have one with me and the kids thru my work. When your wife maxes out her deductible 2yrs in a row and so does 1 of the kids. Your medical bills are double if we were all on one plan.

Wouldn't trade it for the world. The only way out of a scenario like mine is to make more money. You can't save your way out of something like this. So off to make more money. The bright side is it pushed me to go self employed in the next few months. Just can't make enough working for someone else for an hourly wage.

TaperPin

WKR
Just curious whats left over every month after all bills, food, and gas are paid for. I just recently made some big moves in life and am thinking about my budget. On a regular old month, with no extra income or side jobs, I should have atleast 2k per month to do whatever I want to do with. Save or spend. I'm not sure if thats good, bad, or indifferent.
If taken in the spirit of simple curiosity of what guys have spent, I’ll bite.

I’ve gone from young guy with more time than money and in the monthly budget there wasn’t any money left over for hobbies - zero. If I’m going shooting, affording the components meant more ramen noodles, less driving around gas, and no new clothes or other misc. non essential stuff. Hunting on the other side of the state was out of a car because the jeep had worse gas mileage, and rather than fancy dehydrated food, lots of heavy stuff and sandwiches. Killed plenty of big animals those years. Luckily, most years in my 20’s I probably had $150 a week in fun money.

When my fun money hunting/shooting/fishing budget grew to $250 a week with the first full time professional job, I felt spoiled. I could buy a new rifle every month, or buy as many reloading components as I could shoot. Turns out, it doesn’t go as far as it seemed at first, and many things were still way out of reach.

Then as a career gets further along, I was spending $500 a week and without doing anything expensive or traveling a lot, that’s very comfortable - if I needed something, just buy it. For many years it was more than I could spend doing my normal things and the left over was spent on the kids.

At the peak I had $1k a week of fun money and could go fun places and not have to sleep in cheap motels - it was so comfortable I almost lost interest in prices - if I liked it I’d buy it. For me it was a time full of wasted purchases - too many guns, too many fishing rods, too much eating out.

When I did the semi retired thing the budget went back to $500 a week, and I still feel very spoiled, even though most of that is going to the kids/grand kids and inflation has reduced the value. This time in life makes a guy think about the future cuts - unlike my wife, I could be quite comfortable not eating out or vacationing to places with beaches. If I have to pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for a day of hunting with an old rifle I’ll still feel like one of the rich guys.

Last edited:
and I thought I was doing okay financially...

Curious what you people do for work? Are they accepting applications?
You don’t need a crazy high-paying job to be saving $2-3k/mo. Most people that aren’t a single income for a household with multiple children, or living in an extremely high cost of living area can easily accomplish this by living more frugally than the average American.

I know this is blasphemy on rokslide where you can’t be a serious hunter without $10k in optics and a $5k rifle setup. This is probably the my favorite blog on frugality.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/getting-rich-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-blog-post/

With strict budgeting, it’s not crazy to get down to a budget of $25-30k per year for a single person in America. You only need a $60-70k/yr job to save $2k/mo on top of that budget which isn’t far off from the median salary. It’s just a very different lifestyle and spending level than the average American.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don’t need a crazy high-paying job to be saving $2-3k/mo. Most people that aren’t a single income for a household with multiple children, or living in an extremely high cost of living area can easily accomplish this by living more frugally than the average American.

I know this is blasphemy on rokslide where you can’t be a serious hunter without $10k in optics and a $5k rifle setup. This is probably the my favorite blog on frugality.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/getting-rich-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-blog-post/

With strict budgeting, it’s not crazy to get down to a budget of $25-30k per year for a single person in America. You only need a $60-70k/yr job to save $2k/mo on top of that budget which isn’t far off from the median salary. It’s just a very different lifestyle and spending level than the average American.
Am I understanding correctly, a single person in a low cost of living area can live off $30k? After deductions that’s about $1800 net a month.

Am I understanding correctly, a single person in a low cost of living area can live off $30k? After deductions that’s about $1800 net a month.
I wasn’t including deductions in that number. That was total spending on expenses and housing. But just for fun I’ll shoot for your $1,800 number.

I am in Denver which definitely doesn’t qualify as a low-cost of living area. There are plenty of $800/mo listings on apartments.com for people subletting rooms. Call it $1k/mo with your share of utilities and renters insurance.

$300/mo or $75/week for groceries
$200/mo for gas and auto insurance (you could lower this living in a metro area using public transit or biking)
$100/mo for high-deductible health care plan mainly paid by your employer, vision, and dental

That’s $1600/mo for what I would call basic survival needs. So you’d still have another $200/mo leftover to save up for a trip, hunting gear, or go out to a restaurant once a week.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m DINK and my wife has a high paying job, after we pay our credit card, mortgage and whatever bills, we put around 10k into savings each month.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Your wife an OnlyFans model? Cause damn.
No she works in the medical field and I make ok money. We bring in around 250k/year together, drive old cars, don’t have kids or any debt outside of our mortgage.

Things weren’t like this until a few years back around the time I turned 40, in turning 45 in a month so it’s really just been the last 4-5 years when things picked up and started getting easy.

Your wife an OnlyFans model? Cause damn.
There are plenty of frugal couples out there making $200k/yr pre-tax, living off $60k/yr, and saving $10k/mo. It's extremely common in the FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) groups and honestly doesn't even feel like extreme budgeting like the example I laid out above.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There are plenty of frugal couples out there making $200k/yr pre-tax, living off $60k/yr, and saving $10k/mo. It's extremely common in the FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) groups and honestly doesn't even feel like extreme budgeting like the example I laid out above.
That’s the whole thing, I don’t feel like we are even doing any extreme budgeting, it’s all just a balance. We still take a solid vacation or 2 each year and I get to hunt as much as I want.

But I drive a 2001 truck and my wife has a 2011 both are reliable and we don’t have to make payments on them while folks I know who earn significantly less are taking loans out to buy 40-50k vehicles. I drive a snowmobile that I paid 8k cash for while my friends are taking loans to drive the new 17k machines….i don’t have bills on my machine and I still bring back caribou. My 16ft jet boat is paid off while guys I know are taking HUgE loans to get big old boats that they hardly use.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn’t including deductions in that number. That was total spending on expenses and housing. But just for fun I’ll shoot for your $1,800 number.

I am in Denver which definitely doesn’t qualify as a low-cost of living area. There are plenty of $800/mo listings on apartments.com for people subletting rooms. Call it $1k/mo with your share of utilities and renters insurance.

$300/mo or $75/week for groceries
$200/mo for gas and auto insurance (you could lower this living in a metro area using public transit or biking)
$100/mo for high-deductible health care plan mainly paid by your employer, vision, and dental

That’s $1600/mo for what I would call basic survival needs. So you’d still have another $200/mo leftover to save up for a trip, hunting gear, or go out to a restaurant once a week.
We’re in the same area, gonna have to check but I think your figures are low.

That’s the whole thing, I don’t feel like we are even doing any extreme budgeting, it’s all just a balance. We still take a solid vacation or 2 each year and I get to hunt as much as I want.

But I drive a 2001 truck and my wife has a 2011 both are reliable and we don’t have to make payments on them while folks I know who earn significantly less are taking loans out to buy 40-50k vehicles. I drive a snowmobile that I paid 8k cash for while my friends are taking loans to drive the new 17k machines….i don’t have bills on my machine and I still bring back caribou. My 16ft jet boat is paid off while guys I know are taking HUgE loans to get big old boats that they hardly use.
We're on the same page for sure.

My first job out of college, I was making $75k and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was making $60k. We were still living like cheap college kids out of school, and had more money than we knew what to do with. That was when I started diving into financial forums about retirement and investing.

I became close friends with a guy at my work and went on a bunch of hunts together. He was a good friend and hunting partner, but his family finances were an absolute trainwreck. He and his wife made $30-40k/yr more than my wife and I did, but they always had brand new vehicles in the driveway of an excessive house for their needs, camper, side-by-side, ATV's, etc. that were all owned by the bank and also upgraded every few years. When our work closed down, he cashed out his 401k to buy another truck. I lost track of the number of times his card would get declined just buying basic stuff at the convenience store.

I think it's telling that the skeptical guys replying in this thread immediately assume the people saving a higher-than-average amount of money have some insane income, and they don't even consider that it's the spending side of the equation. The spending side is by far the more powerful side of the equation especially when planning for retirement if you plan to keep the same lifestyle.

Shouldn’t compare yourself to others but I do.

I could care less what I save every month. I’m not paying payments on side by sides, motorcycles, trailers, big trucks that people don’t have a need for etc. max out the Roth every year and that’s all I care about. Can I afford the things I want to do? Yep!

Those people that are in loads of debt should look in the mirror and ask themselves what they’re gaining having brand new toys.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

My first job out of college, I was making $75k and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was making $60k. We were still living like cheap college kids out of school, and had more money than we knew what to do with. That was when I started diving into financial forums about retirement and investing.

I became close friends with a guy at my work and went on a bunch of hunts together. He was a good friend and hunting partner, but his family finances were an absolute trainwreck. He and his wife made $30-40k/yr more than my wife and I did, but they always had brand new vehicles in the driveway of an excessive house for their needs, camper, side-by-side, ATV's, etc. that were all owned by the bank and also upgraded every few years. When our work closed down, he cashed out his 401k to buy another truck. I lost track of the number of times his card would get declined just buying basic stuff at the convenience store.

I think it's telling that the skeptical guys replying in this thread immediately assume the people saving a higher-than-average amount of money have some insane income, and they don't even consider that it's the spending side of the equation. The spending side is by far the more powerful side of the equation especially when planning for retirement if you plan to keep the same lifestyle.
I think we have the same friend lol.

My buddy makes about the same as me but isn’t married so one income. He just took a loan for 15k for a snow mobile when he had a good one, he then took another loan for like 46k to get a jet boat when what he had already was just fine. He also spends 3-300/week on expensive whiskey and complains about the cost of living and how he had to work a second job to not go broke. The guy is 10 years older than me and rents an apartment rather than owning a home.

To each their own, I realize everybody takes their own path I just can’t help feeling like that dude is making poor choices.

I think we have the same friend lol.

My buddy makes about the same as me but isn’t married so one income. He just took a loan for 15k for a snow mobile when he had a good one, he then took another loan for like 46k to get a jet boat when what he had already was just fine. He also spends 3-300/week on expensive whiskey and complains about the cost of living and how he had to work a second job to not go broke. The guy is 10 years older than me and rents an apartment rather than owning a home.

To each their own, I realize everybody takes their own path I just can’t help feeling like that dude is making poor choices.
We just might. I felt so bad for my buddy when he would tell me about the purchases. He would be all excited about a new toy, but all I could see was how much it was costing him. I even gave him a copy of Dave Ramseys book after I read it, but I didn’t push him on it and he never read it.

I try not to judge when I see the threads on here about “which brand new 3/4 diesel should I buy” to pull my toy hauler and side-by-side up to hunting camp, but it makes me cringe. I fully support capitalism and people being free to spend their hard-earned money on what they want, but the problem is most people don’t actually understand the trade-offs they are making with these purchases.

Instead of financing a $180k truck, toyhauler, and side-by-side setup and putting that amount into an SP500 investment account would easily knock 5+ years off most people’s retirement timeline. There is zero chance I would trade 5 years of my life for that purchase, and I don’t think a lot of people making the purchase would either if they actually knew the trade-off.

KsRancher

WKR

Not skeptical at all. I believe the numbers on this thread. I am not saying that the incomes are INSANE. But they sure are not the norm. They are 3-4 times the average. So that is the main difference in my opinion. Call it envy, jealousy or whatever you want. But it's just facts, these incomes you guys are talking are not even close to most Americans.

My wife and I are raising 4 kids off of significantly less gross wage combined that what you guys are putting into savings.