How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

Geetar

FNG
Id like to think in my head I only spend 2-5k a year but I know its closer to 5-10k a year. Some people like going to sports games, 8 concerts a year, new vehicles, 6 pairs of shoes and fancy clothes and fancy meals every weekend. I like to hunt , it is what it is .
👍 Priorities. People who drink $5-7 coffee drinks and eat out 3 meals a day shouldn’t have any issues with a guy who plans all year for his hunting trips instead of impulse buys.

Cody_W

WKR
This is such a loaded question for me. Lol, they’re are so many variables. This year I decided on a new rifle, so that was 5k added, plus decided to go ultralight (tent, pack, change of boots, clothes that’s another 3k easy, plus unless its whitetail its out of state so that is $750 for elk, $350 for mule, plus diesel to get there ~$500, sleeping in the truck $free, packing food $normal grocery rate. So if you were all geared up how you like you can get by real cheap aside from travel, but if you want/need gear then the sky is the limit on what you can spend. Lol, the buddy system can sure save you money on traveling as well as if you plan to do it together every time you can split buying the things you only need one of. one stove and one shelter instead of 2 is nearly a grand alone. One spotter and not two can save 1-4K.

So in short, it all depends on your taste, desires, and willingness to spend.

Cohunter9

FNG
I’m too scared to actually add it up. But if I had to guess between 4-8k. I go on anywhere between 5-7 hunts each fall. I’d go on more if I had more time. I apply in all the states and usually draw 1-3 tags plus otc. If my wife knew, she would end me

seigeto

FNG
It's been a pricey few years for me, getting into it later than the average bear and without mentorship or family to help.

That said, my spouse and I have allocated $2000/year as my hunting budget. Which would include any gear that I wasn't able to cover off in my other spending money. I've been able to do well with that these last few years.

Michael54

WKR
If I die and my wife sells my guns and gear for what I told her I paid I would probably roll over in my grave lol. In all reality most years its under 2k, unless i go on a trip hunt. Montana Elk i can usually do 2k on that hunt alone. I do a big trip hunt every 3 years or so. Next year will be my biggest spend. I've saved for the past 4 years to hunt idaho.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My moose hunt this year basically cost 6 gallons of gas, my license and 2 buletts.

my sheep hunts are slightly more but I think my total for sheep hunting this year was about 700 bucks and that was 2 separate hunts.

Michael54

WKR
My moose hunt this year basically cost 6 gallons of gas, my license and 2 buletts.

my sheep hunts are slightly more but I think my total for sheep hunting this year was about 700 bucks and that was 2 separate hunts.
Totally jealous. That's a bucket list item for me. I'm doing Idaho next year and hoping to do Alaska in the next five.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
2-3K generally. We live in a small house and drive used cars to free up income for things we want to do. It's nice to be finally getting to the point that I don't spend as much on gear annually and have more available for tags and gas.

HH393

FNG
This varies from year to year. After initial setup it is fairly reasonable. Kifaru shelter and ruck sack are expensive but plan to use them for a decade. I have some gear from under armour, ice breaker, Arcteryx and Sitka that are at least a decade old that I will be using on a 7 day hunt next week. While it was initially expensive if I can use it for several years the price seems much more reasonable.

Tags, diesel, food, ammo, are all consumable however I would also use fuel and food if I wasn’t hunting that week, to be honest probably more fuel with my commute.

I don’t necessarily budget a set amount of money I get the equipment that is first essential and then budget money for those items that will make me more comfortable or more effective and then take care of it.

Look for items with warranty, icebreaker will warranty socks, I have had 3 sets for a long time. Arcteryx will warranty items as well.

My first couple of years was in the thousands subsequent years have been in the hundreds. If I averaged it out over 25 years of hunting it isn’t that bad

Just under the threshold where my wife would notice (then maybe a little past that if I'm tempting fate). And that varies each year.

elkkilla1

FNG
500-1000 buying points and applying for tags. If I draw then it is the cost of the tag plus the out state trip. The biggest expense is fuel and food at that point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jt13

FNG
Had a pricey trip this year with Newfoundland Moose/Bear along with MT deer and elk I would bet that the fiance and I are up over 12K for the year. In the last 3 years we got progressively more extravagant, probably 3K in 2017, then about 6K in 2018, now were up to 12K in 2019. Planning on 2020 being in the 4-6K range

Geetar

FNG
2-3K generally. We live in a small house and drive used cars to free up income for things we want to do. It's nice to be finally getting to the point that I don't spend as much on gear annually and have more available for tags and gas.
I’m in the process of buying quality gear. When I was younger I was dumb enough to buy cheap stuff now I’m replacing it with things that I’ll never need another one or or if I do is covered by warranty. Buy once cry once kinda mentality now. Looking forward to getting to where you are when I’ll spend less on gear though.

tdhanses

WKR
It costs what it costs although this year it was a six figure expense, divorce isn’t cheap.