How long have you been at your current job?

49ereric

WKR
Retired is my job and just over 4 years but hoping it continues for 30 or so more years.

34 years... I had 3 jobs in my teens- construction worker, appliance installer, and farm worker.
I learned that management has more to do with the quality of work than the work itself. Also, it took 3 tries to get very tired of starting something new.

Every job has its perks, every job has its bane. I've stuck at water treatment systems- first installation then service, then sales and systems design. Love what I do, traveled all over the Eastern US and met many wonderful people.. I'll do this till I can't. Then???? The woods of PA keep calling......

Orlando

FNG
37 years. Currently on vacation until July 5th. Then officially retired. I am really going to miss the people and the work. But am looking forward to doing the things I want to do.

rlynn27

FNG
Classified Approved
Longest was 20 years active duty Air Force. Then 8 years with a defense contractor, and now 5 years with federal job. Prior to Air Force I shuffled around and had about 30 different jobs in various industries while trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Some of them were real shit jobs too. Carpentry, home improvement, and working as a auto-mechanic apprentice for a taxi company where some of the more personally rewarding jobs. The construction, warehouse and truck driving jobs I had were non-union and we broke our ass for long hours, low wages and no benefits.

Despite some crappy jobs, my current job with federal government is my least favorite. The agency I work for is the typical bureaucracy filled with red tape, redundancy, marginal/inept leaders and subordinates, stereotypical civil servants who do as little as possible to not get fired. However, pay is decent and at my age no one is beating a path to my door to hire me. I have to be thankful for the job in this economy. Especially when I see countless videos on Youtube of people young and old who have lost their jobs, and are living in their car.

30 years in the carpenters union next month... 27years 3 months with the same company which is almost unheard of around here... started as an apprentice, to foreman to super to PM... job can be a bitch but shouldn't complain working for good people making good money and will retire in 5 years...
This thread came back up and thought I would look back at my post...... funny how life takes a turn, still working for the same company, have a little more responsibility these days. Was planning on retiring at 55, then an opportunity came to buy a piece of the pie and became part owner... I'll be working a little longer, but should be worth it.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Just under a year at this point. I was a resident/fellow in Cleveland for 5 years prior. Not sure if this will be my forever job (practice setting), but I definitely enjoy what I do (especially now that I'm on the other side of medical training).

Stalker69

WKR
I've had 4 jobs in my life. First was while in Jr high was there15 years.( didn't get along with the new regional manager.Then another job 25 years ( company went under ) then another for 6 years ( owner shot himself at the shop). Now 3 years, and just hope I can afford to retire. I am Tired of the bull $%&&.

JohnDough

FNG
I seem to get “Frustrated “ after about 3 years and start getting ready to move jobs… I feel like unfortunately talking with classmates that is the norm now to bounce from A to B to Z… there’s no real chance to advance within a workplace unless you swap jobs / companies completely.

On one hand I’m jealous of my dad and Buddy’s dads that have worked for the same companies for 30+ years… I feel there has to be some reward in there somewhere … but on the other hand I feel like they wasted that time in not owning their own businesses.. . Helping someone else reap the benefits of their work ..

Im torn as recent (within the past 36 hours recent) turn of events at work. Have really made me question why I’m not figuring out a way to go in business for myself .
Even before events unfolded.. I have been questioning how much longer I see myself at my current job. My girlfriend even notices a change in my demeanor about 12 hours before my shifts start.. and I’m thinking recent events are a sign it’s time for me to leave
Career length, 14 years.
Current company, 9 years.
Current position, 1 year.

My advice is that you jump jobs or at the VERY least positions, every 1-3 years, UNLESS you are angling for something other than money. The reason I have been in my current company's employ for 9 years certainly isn't money. I am paid poorly for my job market, and my pay has been within 3% of the same since well before COVID. We saw more inflation LAST YEAR than my cumulative raises since 2018, although my job roles have changed (I have taken on more responsibility and moved into a hands-on management role. This did come with better healthcare benefits, etc. which would probably equate to another 5% on top of the 3%, if we want to consider having PTO "a raise". ). The reason I have stayed on is to shift into a role that is less unpleasant, which I have done. That is a good reason to stay: Most of these roles (management) are (should be) internal hires, only, and if they are NOT, you need to consider leaving. Anyone hiring externally for non C-suite managerial roles is in trouble.

Now, my father owns his own businesses. Always has. I do not want to work 24/7/365. I also value the benefits that belonging to a company affords me:

-Healthcare insurance, payable pre-tax.
-ZERO upkeep (I do not pay for fixing the elevators, etc or mowing the property, etc)
-401K matching (literally an instant 100% stock return, basically)
-0 Liability for the company (If it goes under, I'll just work for a competitor or whoever bought it out. I could care less).

Lots of other stuff, but that's off the top of my head.

However, I would remind you that companies are ruthless. They will not reward you. There is no virtue in staying unless it's to serve personal goals similar to mine (you note how my pay has suffered in turn for this, however, although I am currently negotiating better with the C-suite, it remains to be seen, and competing companies pay @20% higher for my same position). The only loyalty you will find within a company, are your fellow co-workers.

Also, in case anyone in the back needs to be reminded, HR is there to minimize or eliminate your expense or potential expense to the company in the form of liability, among other things, as much as possible. Not to ask as your "help desk".

IDVortex

WKR
First job was 3 years, second job almost 10 years. Then started my own business for about 3 years, took a job because it's always wise to work for family, got a new job for about a year, then went and tried my business again, then winter hit. Now at my current job for 2 years. If it wasn't for.bad management, I'd stay. But who knows

TheGDog

WKR
OK so here's a question... (let me know if this is a not-cool thread-jack and I'll start a separate thread perhaps)

What would most of you all consider enough money to have in your 401K to be considered "meh" enough to squeek by on in retirement, and sstill be able to afford to drive out to the woods occasionally, if your home was already paid off? (I got 10 more yrs for the house to be paid off) which would put me at 65yo.

Due to a couple "do-overs" marriage wise, ended up having a later start on the whole family+house thing than I would have wanted, in terms of putting into a 401K. Trying to make up time ATM by maxxing out deduction on that.

I'm just figuring to try to get to a place where I can essentially hand my son the house at some point, because that'd be one helluva starting point in his life-path trajectory to start from! Figure when he's like ready to settle down, he can finance a renovation to the place to add a 2nd story so he can have his privacy to pursue a mate.

While we'd also also have our privacy too in our own separate part of the home with it's own entrance. So he can come and go as he pleases so we're not "cramping his style" in terms of him bringing home some chic during his "pursuit" years.

With the limited amount of time I've had to think about this stuff. Seemed like best broad general game plan to try to run with.

P.S. Can't wait to see everybodies 401K starting picking up again once we get nimrod out of the WhiteHouse.

JohnDough

FNG
OK so here's a question... (let me know if this is a not-cool thread-jack and I'll start a separate thread perhaps)

What would most of you all consider enough money to have in your 401K to be considered "meh" enough to squeek by on in retirement, and sstill be able to afford to drive out to the woods occasionally, if your home was already paid off? (I got 10 more yrs for the house to be paid off) which would put me at 65yo.

Due to a couple "do-overs" marriage wise, ended up having a later start on the whole family+house thing than I would have wanted, in terms of putting into a 401K. Trying to make up time ATM by maxxing out deduction on that.

I'm just figuring to try to get to a place where I can essentially hand my son the house at some point, because that'd be one helluva starting point in his life-path trajectory to start from! Figure when he's like ready to settle down, he can finance a renovation to the place to add a 2nd story so he can have his privacy to pursue a mate.

While we'd also also have our privacy too in our own separate part of the home with it's own entrance. So he can come and go as he pleases so we're not "cramping his style" in terms of him bringing home some chic during his "pursuit" years.

With the limited amount of time I've had to think about this stuff. Seemed like best broad general game plan to try to run with.

P.S. Can't wait to see everybodies 401K starting picking up again once we get nimrod out of the WhiteHouse.
I plan to retire by 65, regardless of what's in my 401K, so it really doesn't matter. If there's $1, well, I'll be able to afford a few hours I guess.

Why has Biden hurt your 401K? 401K's should be president-proof.

Two things about the house.
Adding a second story is stupid expensive compared to adding a second wing off the house. Without knowing what your house looks like.

The other thing is as soon as your house is paid odd I'd look at putting it into a trust or if your son is responsible going ahead and putting it in his name. Reason being if something happened to you and you ended up in a nursing home the gov will try to take the house. Nc can go back 7 years on any "sales or gifts" to family and force you to give it back.

JohnDough

FNG
Adding a second story is stupid expensive compared to adding a second wing off the house. Without knowing what your house looks like.

The other thing is as soon as your house is paid odd I'd look at putting it into a trust or if your son is responsible going ahead and putting it in his name. Reason being if something happened to you and you ended up in a nursing home the gov will try to take the house. Nc can go back 7 years on any "sales or gifts" to family and force you to give it back.
100% this! My grandparents did this with my father (put it in his name) well before they passed, and it was probably the best thing they ever did for him, financially speaking.

TheGDog

WKR

Yeah our home is already in a living trust.

Also on that note, you can give a gift of up to $15K to your heirs without them getting taxed on it. So like... if you're g4etting up in years... and maybe an investment does well, and you'd like to see the result of your gifting and how it helps your kin, definitely something to remember.

Halibut

FNG
I worked as a fly fishing guide for two years and got completely burned out, I think it had to with the pressure felt to pt clients on fish. For the last 5 years I have been working as a commercial fisherman and it still doesn't feel like work.