How long have you been at your current job?

GMT

FNG
22 at current and about 11 at previous. I tend to be loyal, as long as my employer reciprocates, treats me well and stays market competitive with comp and benefits.

Going on 9 years, after 16 years as a small business owner. 5 weeks vacation time. Ownership stake. Great company culture. Great growth potential, and awesome coworkers. Can't complain.

Redjones

FNG
Four years in the Marine Corp then 31 years working construction,definitely some good times,bad times and plenty of stories to tell.

Greg

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Just changed careers and at my new gig for 2.5 months. So much better than last job dealing with the public. People have become horrible as a whole over the last 5 years. New job I deal with 4 people give or take a day.
It’s amazing! Plus more $ and better benefits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 years in the same career, no regrets
2 years in New Hampshire, not happy, left because I missed the West
3 years in a temporary job at Moscow, ID happy living and working there
30 years at Fairbanks, AK happy living and working there
retired in 2019 now extremely happy hunting AK Aug-Oct, MT Oct-Jan

I retired a little over 4 years ago.
I spent 45 years in my profession, 12 at one place and 33 at the last one.
There were not a lot of opportunities to have my own business in the profession I choose.

ClearCreek

3 months, transporting cars, before this one I was at a grocery distributor for 5 1/2 years as a CDL driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
If you want a change in job assignments every 2-3 years you could always join the military. I start getting antsy and ready for a change around every 18 months when I start looking ahead to the next job. This is something I’m wondering if it will carryover once I retire and transition to a civilian career or if I am just wired to seek new occupational learning experiences. Time will tell I suppose.
I retired 9 years ago from the military. You need to go to work for the government then you can move every couple years.

I have done that. Retired from one service and worked for two others since I retired. And a couple of other agencies.

Best thing is you don't have to wait for some stupid board to get promoted. You just apply and as long as you have a year at that GS rank and you get the job you get promoted.

jimh406

WKR
I seem to get “Frustrated “ after about 3 years and start getting ready to move jobs… I feel like unfortunately talking with classmates that is the norm now to bounce from A to B to Z… there’s no real chance to advance within a workplace unless you swap jobs / companies completely.

It's definitely true that many professions seem to hire people from the outside to promote. If you want to maximize your pay, you will have to change jobs fairly often. Most companies don't seem to value experience and knowledge of their business. Over the past decade or so, it seems to be the norm to change jobs every 2-3 years.

Back to the question, I'm retired. I worked at my last two companies after I changed career paths were 22 yrs and 6 months and 7 years. Even if I had gone back to the company of 22+ years, I probably would have been better off to leave and come back a few times.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I seem to get “Frustrated “ after about 3 years and start getting ready to move jobs… I feel like unfortunately talking with classmates that is the norm now to bounce from A to B to Z… there’s no real chance to advance within a workplace unless you swap jobs / companies completely.

On one hand I’m jealous of my dad and Buddy’s dads that have worked for the same companies for 30+ years… I feel there has to be some reward in there somewhere … but on the other hand I feel like they wasted that time in not owning their own businesses.. . Helping someone else reap the benefits of their work ..

Im torn as recent (within the past 36 hours recent) turn of events at work. Have really made me question why I’m not figuring out a way to go in business for myself .
Even before events unfolded.. I have been questioning how much longer I see myself at my current job. My girlfriend even notices a change in my demeanor about 12 hours before my shifts start.. and I’m thinking recent events are a sign it’s time for me to leave
Sometimes you gotta move out to move up. I had 3 good jobs for 4 years each. Big steps up with each new job. Then 4 years of college with a job on campus. I'm about to start 3 years at law school. 4 years feels like a long time in one place.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
8 at current employer and 12 in current line of work. Both are longer than I've spent during my entire career.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
I think people get in a rut and think "there must be something better than this". So they spend their life unhappy.

Upward mobility is relative. At some point you can only move up so far, in a mom and pop outfit this isn't very far at all. In a big multibillion dollar corporation this can be very far.

If I had to choose between a location and a job, I'd pick the location. I'd rather do my job for less pay in a desirable location than do my job for my current pay where I am at.

A lot of people bitch about quality of life. There has to be a balance. Quality of life for a single guy with no kids, is going to be different than quality of life for someone that has a big family.

I'd rather make $100,000 a year in a midsized town near hunting and fishing, than make $65,000 in a town with a OTC elk tags in the back yard.

The little OTC elk town isn't going to have but a shit hospital, schools are probably going to suck, and the groceries are going to be twice as expesnive. That and all the California Republican boomers are going to be $800,000 for a 2 bedroom on 3 acres.

49ereric

WKR
as an IUOE member working highway heavy and building trades jobs I often worked for several companies every year. Retired just over 2 years ago. No more traveling for work.

hunterjmj

WKR
Was a carpenter for 12 years then went to school for HVAC and did commercial refrigeration for 13 years. Money was great but time at home sucked. I was topped out and burnt out. Best thing I ever did was quit that job so I could be home with the kids and wife regularly.
We didn't just do this willy nilly though. We had a plan to pay off the house so we could move, pay cash for a place and I could work a decent low stress job. It's worked out great but not sure we could have done it without all those years of a good paying high stress job. 🤷‍♂️

I have been at the same one for a year and a half. Volatility in the oil and gas industry has had me changing jobs every few years.