How does your job prepare you for the mountain?

dan33

FNG
How have you guys seen being in shape for your job translate to the mountain? My only experience with this is in the hills of Ohio tennessee and kentucky and I can move pretty good compared to a lot of people. How much can I expect to lose in performance at high elevations? For reference I run up and down scaffolding and ladders with 30 to 60 pounds of tools.

elkguide

WKR
As a house painter, I climb ladders and carry ladders, boxes of paint and other objects all day every day. If I don't make time to work out 4 days a week, I can't even begin to climb the hills out west.
Imagine climbing three flights of stairs, carrying a 50# box wearing a backpack loaded with 50# and only breathing through a straw.

Warmsy

WKR
I'm in construction, for a small rural company. I would say the only thing that really translates from my job is tenacity. There's a lot of sucky crap that I have to do. It often ask like and feels like crap until the finish goes in. Knowing that the hard work and attention to detail pays off in the end is helpful.

Doesn't help physically at all. I'm strong, and I can do what I have to do, but it's only when I'm training I feel physically fit.

Being a teacher and coach, I have access to a weight room, but our school doesn’t have a shower for staff use, so I can’t really use it in the morning. Once I’m done with practice at the end of a day I just want to get home to see my dog (and my wife I suppose), so it doesn’t help me much. More of a lack of motivation by me than anything else.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot to be said for just being active all day vs sitting at a desk - it will definitely help you. Being “mountain ready” is a marketing ploy to sell workouts and supplements. Just keep yourself in reasonably decent shape and you’ll be fine in the mountains.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Semi-joking about work aside, I do think that there is a large mental aspect to moving at elevation.

Unless you live at high altitude and hike steep slopes on a regular basis, it’s probably going to suck.

But if I remind myself that I’m sucking wind in part because the air is thin and that is what it is, rather than become discouraged because I’m not feeling low altitude fit, I can settle my body and mind into a rhythm and just get it done.

Reactions: LoH

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I cruised timber for years in the NW so it was pretty good for getting around. Also just being in woods everyday made you more aware of things.