How do you guys keep your Knees strong and healthy?

Was just wondering what you guys do to keep your knees strong, healthy and prevent injury. I’m starting the knees over toes program so I’m excited to see improvement with my right knee health. Always gives me problems on downhills.

Slugz

WKR
1) Balanced/equal training. Ensure you exercise each muscle in the leg. Target each one. When we get older they are all together more important in overall knee health.
2) IT band elasticity. Keep it loose/pliable with movement and stretching.
3) Sticks while hiking with a heavy load.
4) Recovery. Ice baths. Rolling out your legs. It all makes a difference.

I'm not a Dr. but that's what mine had me do when I went in to discuss with him at age 48. 53 now and it has made a measurable difference.

OP
chrissytoosaucy
1) Balanced/equal training. Ensure you exercise each muscle in the leg. Target each one. When we get older they are all together more important in overall knee health.

I'm not a Dr. but that's what mine had me do when I went in to discuss with him at age 48. 53 now and it has made a measurable difference.

Thanks! That’s some great advice. Balance in leg muscles is key and barely starting to learn that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Late 50's guy here
Active job requirements
I do a lot of construction and floor covering work, as a side gig.
Also try to do some running and incline treadmill work.

Started having general joint pain a couple years ago. Knees, hips, ankles, mostly.
Too stubborn & stupid to go see a Dr. about it, or try to change my work-to-damn-hard-lifestyle.

I initially thought it was hokum, but I started taking a glucosamine+chondroitin tablet every day.
I can honestly say that it really really helps, and I regularly outwalk/climb/work people 25 years younger than me.

I think that if this small tablet allows me to maintain a lifestyle that keeps me fit, I can extend my high activity hunt life expectancy. Fully intend to be hunting as hard as today into my 70s.

87TT

WKR
Late 50's guy here
Active job requirements

Started having general joint pain a couple years ago. Knees, hips, ankles, mostly.
Too stubborn & stupid to go see a Dr. about it, or try to change my work-to-damn-hard-lifestyle.

I initially thought it was hokum, but I started taking a glucosamine+chondroitin tablet every day.
I can honestly say that it really really helps, and I regularly outwalk/climb/work people 25 years younger than me.

I think that if this small tablet allows me to maintain a lifestyle that keeps me fit, I can extend my high activity hunt life expectancy. Fully intend to be hunting as hard as today into my 70s.
69 here and have been taking it for 4 years. Still hunt solo for the most part. Packed out my elk by myself this year. Steep downhill too. Have to take it for a few months before the results really show but will never stop.

OP
chrissytoosaucy
Late 50's guy here
Active job requirements

Thanks for the advice! Man this was good stuff. Looking into the glucosamine. I’m young but have horrible knees from years of football and wrestling. I’m trying to be in the mountains late into my life like you. Thanks!

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing even just a few of KneesOverToesGuy’s cornerstone exercises a couple months ago, and the results have been very encouraging. I have just watched a ton of his YouTube videos, then figure out ways to do his exercises in my garage gym, and mix them into my workouts throughout the week. Give it a shot!

Been struggling with general strength imbalance in my left knee for over a decade, which has resulted in ITBS while running and hiking, various sharp pains during certain movement patterns, etc. Two years ago, it hurt bad if I tried to do a step up with my left leg. Yesterday I did a couple hundred with a 45# pack in my garage, and felt strong.

One thing I did do about 4 years ago was met with a doctor and got an MRI on my knee, to either confirm or rule out actual injury.

BSLugnut

FNG

Good stuff!
I have had moderate-severe arthritis in both knees 10+ years.
The other thing to keep in mind, is to ensure that you are strengthening and stretching both legs, not just the sore or weak one.
I don't do enough of this (usually 1x week), but my son (getting his Masters in PT) says Yoga is great!

*zap*

WKR
one legged rdl, when in the down position of this movement you then rotate your hips as far inside as possible and then as far outside as possible....you will feel this in your knees for sure. Hold on to something as you get used to this movement.

peterk123

WKR
Was just wondering what you guys do to keep your knees strong, healthy and prevent injury. I’m starting the knees over toes program so I’m excited to see improvement with my right knee health. Always gives me problems on downhills.
Keep your weight down. I read years ago that every pound of excess weight on your body equals three pounds of additional pressure on your knees.

I am also a big believer in cycling for your knees. Low impact. Constant workout on the knee though.

I'm almost 56. My knees are happy. I'm 6 feet tall and 170 pounds.

OP
chrissytoosaucy
I started doing even just a few of KneesOverToesGuy’s cornerstone exercises a couple months ago, and the results have been very encouraging. I have just watched a ton of his YouTube videos, then figure out ways to do his exercises in my garage gym, and mix them into my workouts throughout the week. Give it a shot!

Been struggling with general strength imbalance in my left knee for over a decade, which has resulted in ITBS while running and hiking, various sharp pains during certain movement patterns, etc. Two years ago, it hurt bad if I tried to do a step up with my left leg. Yesterday I did a couple hundred with a 45# pack in my garage, and felt strong.

One thing I did do about 4 years ago was met with a doctor and got an MRI on my knee, to either confirm or rule out actual injury.

Awesome to hear man! Thanks for the information and advice