How many of you guys leave your hunting backpack packed with all your gear? Or unpack it and store it?

repins05

WKR
How many of you leave all your gear in your hunting pack? Or do you pull it out and store it until the next hunt? Thinking of leaving most of my gear in my pack (minus my sleeping bag and will pull out batteries) Will be like my BOB. Always have pulled it out and put it in bins for storage.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Excuse the ignorance but what is a BOB? I always unpack it. I like to clean it and look over everything. It gives me ideas to upgrade gear through the year. I also like to repack it so I'm confident everything is in there, and I know where everything is in the pack.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Bug Out Bag. I have already cleaned up everything etc. and stuck it back in with the acquisition of some new pockets. Maybe just the "upgrade gear through the year" is good enough reason to put it back in. Every year, I tell myself I don't need to upgrade and spend more $$$........and next thing you know I have a new pack etc.

Warmsy

WKR
I always unpack after anything more than a day trip. I keep notes in the field, but I like to clean and repair or decide if I really needed that one item.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I like to unpack and see what I did and didn't use on a particular hunt so I can fine tune the next time. Requirements change from an August antelope hunt to a late season mule deer or elk hunt.

I unpack everything. Use my pack with a bag of sand for training, and each hike/hunt requires different stuff packed.

Shraggs

WKR
Zap you can go from a profound post to smarty pants the next!

I used to unpack, now that I’m trying to shoot often I leave my dedicated late season rifle pack in day mode all year as it’s my main shooting aid.

Like it so much a may do the same for my archery pack and my two whitetail packs.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I unpack, clean and repair stuff, reevaluate what I have etc in prep for next season. I also use my bag for backpacking and training so definitely have to unload it.

Unpack, clean, repair and replace. I’ve got different things for different applications so they go back into their totes for the next trip. The stuff that doesn’t change stays in the pack. Example would be Inreach, IFAK, repair kit and spare headlamp.

BBob

WKR
Unpack and everything goes into a few different bins. Stuff that always goes no matter what (kill it, cordage , licenses, first aid, lighting, etc…) goes into one smaller bin. Clothing into its own bin and everything else goes into couple more bins. That way I know everything I need is in several bins on the shelf and I can pick and choose for each particular situation. Oh and gear lists on lighterpack makes is convenient to keep track of previous trips gear that can be modified as needed.

Heck, most of my gear is sitting under the back seat of my truck, the floor of my garage next to my work bench, and on the shelves i put stuff in the basement. Exactly where it was left the last time i hunted with said gear. Right there ready to go for next season. Why put it away now when i just have to start pulling it out again in a few months.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I unpack my hunting gear. But leave my claymore and belt pouche with their normal stuff. Regardless of what I'm doing, everything in those is necessary.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I unpack, clean/repair, reload as necessary for my next trip, and put the rest away in bins. I have items that I always have in my pack though like first aid kit, TP/wipes, water filtration, etc. In the off season I load my pack for training hikes as I would for different hunts in different times of the year. It helps me go over what I actually need and gives me practice figuring out the best ways to load my pack depending on what I’m carrying so I’m usually dialed in by the time the season comes around.

Maverick1

WKR
Excuse the ignorance but what is a BOB? I always unpack it. I like to clean it and look over everything. It gives me ideas to upgrade gear through the year. I also like to repack it so I'm confident everything is in there, and I know where everything is in the pack.
Mother-in-law had a BOB. Battery Operated Boyfriend. I don't ask questions.

Maverick1

WKR
How many of you leave all your gear in your hunting pack? Or do you pull it out and store it until the next hunt? Thinking of leaving most of my gear in my pack (minus my sleeping bag and will pull out batteries) Will be like my BOB. Always have pulled it out and put it in bins for storage.
There are quite a few things that are elk-hunting specific, that don't get used for anything other than hunting in the mountains. (Elk calls, water filter, tarp, etc.) So, my bag stays mostly packed as-is. About the only thing that comes out of the backpack is my sleeping bag, which gets hung up in a closet, since it's down. Makes it much easier to pack up when the next season rolls around.

Rob5589

WKR
Unpack and store. Only have one pack I use for various hunts and just backpacking as well as frame/shelf only for training.

I unpack ,clean inspect ,sharpen knives, recharge all electronics or take out batteries at the end of season and repack. Do the same for both my backpack and my lumbar pack I use for tree stand or blind hunting.

I leave 90% of my stuff in my bag for the season.

Having said that, I don't carry much stuff. lol