How do you feed your dog?

My 9 year old boy's job is to feed the dogs daily. He feeds them in their kennel sometime between him getting out of school and me getting home from work.

My wife's little designer doodle dog sometimes eats with the curs in their kennels and sometimes in the house in his little wire kennel.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Twice a day floating dry food. My dog is a vacuum and is always hungry for anything and everything she can consume.

I read some guys have a feeding schedule they use when out hunting which may be different than at home. Hell when I'm out hunting ( up to three days) I have seldom been able to get my GSP's to eat at all. Milk bones, no problem. food they sniff it and go lay down. they get plenty of water, but ignore their food. as soon as we get home, I put out a bowl of food and they dive right in. I think they have a one tract mind, HUNTING.

Last edited:
Our boxer gets a bowl of dry food at 7am and 5 pm. He is usually done eating before I can rinse my hands. He gets pizza every Friday just like everyone else in our house.

Twice a day, morning and night. Right around 1 cup for each meal and increasing that during hunting season. Been feeding him PPP his whole life. I thought $50-60 a bag a few years back was a lot… now it’s near $90.

PPP twice a day since they were pups. They know when feeding time is to the minute and lay next to their bowls. Time change really screws them up twice a year....couple of egg yolks a day for each of them, a side benefit of my workout diet. Noticeable coat improvement.

Might be in the minority here but my lab has always just eaten on his time. We tried when he was younger to time out his feedings but he would ignore the food until he was hungry. So now we just make sure his food and water bowls are always full and he's happy.

I have always fed them a bowl of food every morning. All 4 of the labs that I have had eat what they want throughout the day and it was rare that they would eat it all at one time. The one I have now doesn't finish till 6/7 pm a lot of days

Any one making there own food? Vets on here??

Yes I'm a vet. And no I don't make my own dog's food.

I don't generally comment on specific recipes or diets as there are too many variables to get the proper nutrition and avoid deficiencies.

For clients that want to prepare their dog or cat's food, I recommend having one formulated on https://secure.balanceit.com/index.php

That web site was started and is run by a board certified veterinary nutritionist.

As far as feeding the "fresh" commercially prepared diets (Like Farmer's Dog), there is no evidence that those diets are superior.

Here is a good discussion regarding the topic. The skeptvet cuts through a lot of the BS on marketing and opinions regarding pet health.

I definitely missed the coy joke….not sure what the photo was meant to depict. We feed our dogs twice daily, they don’t overeat. They only eat when hungry and we have been able to tell it’s based on activity levels. There could be food in bowls for 10+ hours.

I feed them PPP, once a day. They supplement themselves by eating dead shit, golly wompers, earthworms, crawdad castle mud, skinks, grass, sticks, etc. One of them caught a black and yellow butterfly in the air the other day and ate the whole thing in about 1 second.

I have a slightly different process, rather than putting forth effort to harvest fresh vegetables and berries, I work to reduce the daily consumption of feces & decaying carcasses from other animals, then every evening I place a bowl of dry food in the kennel which gets consumed in seconds.

I definitely missed the coy joke….not sure what the photo was meant to depict. We feed our dogs twice daily, they don’t overeat. They only eat when hungry and we have been able to tell it’s based on activity levels. There could be food in bowls for 10+ hours.

It appeared to me it must have become hip to feed your dog in an upside down dog bowl.

It appeared to me it must have become hip to feed your dog in an upside down dog bowl.

Ahhh......ok Now I get it

When our dog was a pup, we had to get a goofy looking bowl with grooves in it, to slow her down as she was literally inhaling the food and vomiting. She grew out of that.

Ahhh......ok Now I get it

When our dog was a pup, we had to get a goofy looking bowl with grooves in it, to slow her down as she was literally inhaling the food and vomiting. She grew out of that.

I figured it was either an attempt to somewhat entertain the dog while it ate, or to slow it down.

I haven't ever had issues with dogs eating too fast. Always kinda felt that started as pups feeding a bunch from same bowl. Faster that gets broken up, the better.

Back