How do you feed your dog?

Our 4 dogs get fed in the morning and evening. My old golden and the austrailian squatter munch theirs donw pretty much immediately. My wives mini doodle and my Griff graze all day. Oscar has no qualms eating the doodle's food if he gets hungry.

I feed them PPP Sport 30/20.

I'm about to drop a pro-tip on some of you.

This is for hunting dogs. Feed once a day at sunset. They get 10 minutes to eat. After 10 minutes pick the bowl up. Eventually they'll figure out that 10 minutes is their window and they will eat it reliably and quickly. This is really helpful on hunting trips when they are in a strange place and tired and sore. They'll learn to eat anywhere no matter what.

Twice a day, same food, she has to wait until we say she can eat before she starts.

On occasion we will mix some beef stew or chicken broth in with it as a treat.

A lot of people think dogs are people nowadays.

Our first 2 dogs were large male goldens. Since they are vulnerable to bloat, our vet always said split their ration morning/night. That became a habit and why I feed all our dogs this way. We don't do overnight bird hunting trips, but the approach guys mentioned to make sure they eat makes sense too.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
My Golden eats twice a day. She gets the same portion in the morning and then again in the evening. If she doesn’t eat it in a timely manner, it gets put up until next time. This helps a lot with keeping her bowels on a fairly consistent schedule. She eats, then goes straight to the door because she has to poop. She also, sits and waits while we’re getting her food ready, and then on command is given the “ok” or “Amen” to eat. It’s doesn’t hurt them one bit to stare at a bowl of food for a few minutes until it’s time to eat.

sacklunch

WKR
Once a day, too many studies on the benefits of time restricted feeding for improved health markers in both humans and mice (no dog studies I've found), but we feed all calories in the evening. Exceptions to that are hunting days (or the day prior to any high mileage activities) when we're trying to bump up the caloric intake and the extra volume may be too much for one serving.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
Good time to work on whoa and or here for puppies. I still do it with my 2 year old dog

88man

FNG
I have a 1.5 year old german Shepard about 120 lbs solid muscle very lean looking. I have been feeding him homemade food since December. Any one making there own food? Vets on here?? anyway here is my typical recipe to a batch

20 lbs chicken breast
30 lbs chicken thighs
30 lbs gizards
15 lbs beef liver
10 lbs chicken livers
12 lbs carrots
15 lbs sweet potatoes
2 gallons basmati rice
32 oz extra virgin olive oil

all cooked, sweet potatoes half peeled
been freezing in 1 gallon icecream containers and 1.5 gallon bags

been feeding about 3.5 to 4lbs a day between a morning and evening feeding. Its an operation as I bough a separate/additional freezer to store the homemade dog food

CCooper

WKR
I have discussed in depth with my vet. He claims carrots, red berries, and organ meat are superfoods for canines.

SWOHTR

WKR
We feed two ways.

1) Slow feeder dishes: we fill these with required amount of food, then fill with water. Freeze them. Give to dog later, it'll take them 15-60 mins depending on the type of dog to get the food out. Keeps them busy, in other words.

2) Feed them in the yard the same way you'd feed a chicken. Take required amount of food and broadcast it in the yard. Idea being they have to use their nose to find each bit of it. Keeps them engaged and slows them down. Will keep them occupied for 15+ minutes, plus they'll go out later in the day and sniff around to see if they missed any.

We feed at morning and night. Dogs are healthy weights and exercised regularly. The dogs we are feeding are an 8 y/o Springer and 2 y/o Lab.

Mosby

WKR
I feed PPP 30/20 Salmon & Rice twice a day during the offseason. I switch them to once a day feeding before the season. During the season, I only feed once a day about an hour after hunting or exercise. Instead of canned dog food I make my own food topper in a crock pot. Wife and I call it "mush"(edit: I'm retired and have nothing better to do):

- about 2 to 3 lb of beef stew meat
- 1 container of chicken liver
- 1 package of chicken gizzards
- 1 package of beef liver
- sometimes I add a can of sardines/cup of hemp hearts or whatever else is laying around
- add some water or broth

Cook in crock pot overnight, cool and puree in blender. Freeze in 2 or 4 cup containers. Add a couple tablespoons of mush with water to dry dog food at feeding. I micro wave the mush to warm it up before mixing

I also use the mush to spike my dogs morning water during the season to get them to drink more water before going out. Dogs love it. I prefer it over canned dog food.

-

Last edited:

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
PPP 30/20 for our golden. We did the 2x/day thing until he was about 4 months and it got to a point where he wasn’t ever finishing it so we just said to hell with it and let him graze throughout the day. He sticks between low to mid 60#s depending on if it’s running/hunting/recovery season. He eats what he needs, after long 8+ mile runs or a heavy day of cattail beating I throw some stock or leftover meat juice in his kibble to force some more calories down his throat. Helps having 2 kids under 5 sneak him a treat or ten throughout the day. He doesn’t gorge himself like most goldens for whatever reason. I’m guessing I won’t be as lucky the next go around.

Attachments

• 853E9D24-4D09-4F00-93FC-A55789848BB7.jpeg
    853E9D24-4D09-4F00-93FC-A55789848BB7.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 15
  • CC2D4F64-0EFC-4248-A238-392661F5F18D.jpeg
    CC2D4F64-0EFC-4248-A238-392661F5F18D.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 16
  • C39885D8-D04C-430E-AC5A-85CE9E11FC25.jpeg
    C39885D8-D04C-430E-AC5A-85CE9E11FC25.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 6910C75A-E799-4889-96CF-7B488DE64BCD.jpeg
    6910C75A-E799-4889-96CF-7B488DE64BCD.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 16
Morning and evening feed. Dry dogs food and not treats. It a chore for each of the kids to feed or water daily. We switch up who gets the chore so the dogs will listen to the kids as well. Both will sit and hold until told to eat from any member of the family.

Hats off to you folks with time to cook up your dog’s food. My time management sucks.

Both very lazy labs.

I'm about to drop a pro-tip on some of you.

This is for hunting dogs. Feed once a day at sunset. They get 10 minutes to eat. After 10 minutes pick the bowl up. Eventually they'll figure out that 10 minutes is their window and they will eat it reliably and quickly. This is really helpful on hunting trips when they are in a strange place and tired and sore. They'll learn to eat anywhere no matter what.
Exactly what we do.

To include our non hunting dogs and the cat.