How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

Jamun

FNG
There are a number of used 6.5 seen in online sales forums, but I don’t think this is a sign of the demise of the cartridge.

OP
menhaden_man
I've got one for sale! Going to update the listing to throw in a NIB 6x SWFA since guys will crawl through broken glass for one of those.

The Guide

WKR
I purchased two Tikka T3X 5.5CM 24" SS rifles from the first shipment that came to the US in 2017. I bought both from Mountain Tactical and have found both rifles to be extremely accurate and easy to shoot. I ended up trading one with my wife for her T3 270 WSM and gave the other one to my daughter because she grew so fast one summer that she grew out of her youth rifle and needed something easy to shoot.

Wife loves the 6.5CM I setup for myself and traded to her. That rifle loves the 147 ELDM factory ammo and I put a couple hundred rounds down the barrel before I gave it to her. Bought her a full case of ammo to shoot for Christmas after we traded. When we are at the range and she's shooting steel at 400 to 700 yards and making the targets sing I have to remind her to let the barrel cool after 2 magazines full...

Daughter (was 13 now 16) has an anxiety condition along with a little ADHD and maybe a touch of the 'tism and easily sikes herself out when things change. Since she was shooting a 6.5 Grendel before, I even found "reduced" loads for her to shoot from HSM that we called the "pumpkin spice" rounds as she was concerned with the recoil. She now shoots full power loads and wouldn't give that rifle up for the world. She is ready to shoot an elk with it this year as she was drawn #1 on the damage hunt list for elk in an area over populated with elk and where we have done elk damage hunts before.

I'd buy another rifle today just to shoot up all the random 6.5CM ammo I've bought and tried over the last few years if I didn't have a 260 Remington I needed to shoot the barrel out of first. With AAC making 6.5CM ammo with the 140 Sabre Blade Black Tips now for $1.00 a round, it is cheaper than the Black Hills 5.56 77tmk @$1.40/each and the Hornady 73 ELDX ammo @$1.35/each.

I don't think the 6.5CM is slowing down but it may be hitting saturated and no longer being the talk of the town but just the standard go to for an inexpensive medium range field or range rifle.

Jay

Superx3

FNG
I never really got on the 6.5 creed train, but mainly because I have an 6.5-284 that is a tack driver. Im not sure I’ll ever own one. I like to reload its relaxing. IMHO the 6.5 creed has reached its peak sales and will slowly taper off after the next big thing comes out to reinvent the wheel.

wyosam

WKR
I never really got on the 6.5 creed train, but mainly because I have an 6.5-284 that is a tack driver. Im not sure I’ll ever own one. I like to reload its relaxing. IMHO the 6.5 creed has reached its peak sales and will slowly taper off after the next big thing comes out to reinvent the wheel.

I’ve long wondered why the 6.5-284 hasn’t gained more in popularity. I see a lot of people wavering between the 6.5 PRC and the CM. If you’re wondering between those two, the answer is obviously neither! I actually built two of them during the worst of the pandemic just because there was always brass available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guide

WKR
I’ve long wondered why the 6.5-284 hasn’t gained more in popularity. I see a lot of people wavering between the 6.5 PRC and the CM. If you’re wondering between those two, the answer is obviously neither! I actually built two of them during the worst of the pandemic just because there was always brass available.

Factory ammo availability. 6.5-284 is rarely seen in a LGS and there is 5 offerings on Midway with 3 in stock @$3.75 to $5.00 each. 6.5CM factory loads on Midway are 103 with 90 in stock and start at $1.10 each (AAC ammo can be ordered @$1.00 each). 6.5 PRC factory loads on Midway are 33 with 21 in stock and start @1.75 each.

Until the 6.5-284 gets more factory ammo support it will continue to be a handloaders cartridge and only fill a niche market no matter how well it performs.

Jay

wyosam

WKR
Factory ammo availability. 6.5-284 is rarely seen in a LGS and there is 5 offerings on Midway with 3 in stock @$3.75 to $5.00 each. 6.5CM factory loads on Midway are 103 with 90 in stock and start at $1.10 each (AAC ammo can be ordered @$1.00 each). 6.5 PRC factory loads on Midway are 33 with 21 in stock and start @1.75 each.

Until the 6.5-284 gets more factory ammo support it will continue to be a handloaders cartridge and only fill a niche market no matter how well it performs.

Jay

It’s a chicken or egg thing, and it will become a hand loader’s cartridge, just like the 284. It won’t become more popular because of lack of availability in factory ammo (or factory rifle at this point), won’t get factory ammo because it’s not popular. Marketing matters.

The Guide

WKR
It’s a chicken or egg thing, and it will become a hand loader’s cartridge, just like the 284. It won’t become more popular because of lack of availability in factory ammo (or factory rifle at this point), won’t get factory ammo because it’s not popular. Marketing matters.

It had a good run with some factory ammo and even Savage made it as a standard rifle for a while and there are still new Savage 110 Apex package rifles in 6.5-284 available to buy on GunBroker. There was more factory ammo support when Best of the West was really pushing that cartridge 10 years ago. Now it has fallen off but I checked on Ammoseek and you can find Nosler ammo for as low as $2.50 each which isn't horrible. But like you said, marketing matters and nobody is pushing the 6.5-284 or the 260 Remington. All the marketing is behind the 6.5CM and the 6.5 PRC.

Jay

Thegman

WKR
I'm not sure it's lost steam as much as a lot of new cartridges vying for the niche and press that the 6.5CM carved out for itself. Sort of, "hey, this thing is selling like hotcakes, let's make some even 'better' cartridges for this demographic".

I remember a couple of years ago being surprised in the ammo aisle that there were more 6.5CM choices than 308 and 30-06 combined. I think it's still that way, more or less.

I sure hope so! I might well have the only one, but it`s been interesting that my Savage 110 Storm in .223 has an action that`s pretty much on par with the Tikka in smoothness of travel. Of course, the Tikka`s brand new.
Mission accomplished! The Tikka Super Varmint shot great, no issues with zeroing a couple of less expensive 140 grain loads ( Hornady American Gunner and AAC with 140 SMKs ).

I sure hope so! I might well have the only one, but it`s been interesting that my Savage 110 Storm in .223 has an action that`s pretty much on par with the Tikka in smoothness of travel. Of course, the Tikka`s brand new.
Unsure of what, Wind Gypsy?

Byobsob

FNG
People get bored with it because its so easy to shoot well and build a load.. Once it’s accurate and you pound a steel plate over and over you want to look for something else and not burn your barrel out. My 6.5 creedmoor with kreiger barrel shoots tacks but I rarely ever shoot it anymore because it shoots tacks, bullets cost more, powder cost more. So….it’s just put away until I really need it (over 1000 yds, heavy wind or white tail/mule deer) and moved to a 6br. A 6br (kind of same problem) is easy to shoot but only 30 grs powder vs 42 ish gr powder and the barrel seems to last longer. If you want to go even cheaper move over to a 20 practical, fast, accurate and cheap to load. Those 3 and a magnum and you are all set! Then go buy a sxs, yikes don’t do it, money pit and drop in value quickly

OP
menhaden_man
Alright, here's the rifle that no one here locally was interested in... threw in the hard to find NIB fixed 6x mil-quad that I bought a few of a few years back.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Alright, here's the rifle that no one here locally was interested in... threw in the hard to find NIB fixed 6x mil-quad that I bought a few of a few years back.

I’m sure it’s the 6.5cm that no one is interested in, and not the Ruger…..

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

PM sent on the scope by itself. No worries if not.

OP
menhaden_man
I’m sure it’s the 6.5cm that no one is interested in, and not the Ruger…..

Trust me, the two LGS claim that no one is buying 6.5s. There are Tikkas in 6.5 on the shelves too. And trust me, right or wrong, most guys (as in nearly all) are shooting Rugers and Savages in south Appalachia, mostly in 308 or 243 with Leupolds. Not that it would pass the Rokslide approval, but there are many animals killed.

svivian

WKR
Trust me, the two LGS claim that no one is buying 6.5s. There are Tikkas in 6.5 on the shelves too. And trust me, right or wrong, most guys (as in nearly all) are shooting Rugers and Savages in south Appalachia, mostly in 308 or 243 with Leupolds. Not that it would pass the Rokslide approval, but there are many animals killed.
What’s the price on the tikkas? 😂