How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

It's not as good of a field cartridge as the ole .270 Winchester, and PPU doesn't load inexpensive ammo for it.

The Empress has no clothes.

GR

WYndy1

FNG
The 6.5 cm will be a staple for a long time just bc how popular it did get but it's haydays are over. Anyone who was into reloading and knew ballistics pre cm days could have told you it wasn't overly special. A huge marketing campaign and a gimmicky name combined with low recoil made the average customer beleive he was a designated marksman.

Saw this thread bump back to top...

I was at the local Fix & Feed here in rural Texas over the weekend. In their small ammo booth, 50% of the space was taken by Hornady PH in 6.5 CM. The other 50% was a mix of 30-06, .243, 9mm, .223, 12 ga, and 20 ga. I found that interesting. I still don't own a 6.5 CM. I probably should, but I built a properly chambered and twisted .260 right before the boom.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve had a hard time accepting the 6.5 creed - in my mind it’s a solution for a problem that didn’t exist if someone has two rifles - bigger than it needs to be for a trainer/plinker/first centerfire under the Christmas tree, and not as fast stepping as it could be for an ideal long range western rifle.

However, that must be the reason behind it’s quick acceptance and huge popularity - for a one-gun hunter it has to have low recoil or many people won’t be able to shoot it. I still think it puts new shooters at a disadvantage - the 243 is a much better trainer/varmint/plinker and that’s going to translate into more shooting and more fun the 99.9% of the time outside of hunting. There are so many advantages to having two or three rifles, even 8th grade me saw the benefits and worked full time all summer to pair up a 22-250 coyote hammer, 6mm antelope smasher and 6.8mm O’Connor elk blaster. Today every kid should also have a 223 since you can’t hardly wear one out, ammo is cheap, and your friends will make fun of you without one.

Gosh, I just can’t imagine only having one gun - is it a new sickness? Blink twice if you need us to call an ambulance, or three times for a ride to the gun store. Lol

Macintosh

WKR
Wish I could recall which podcast I heard recently with a couple manufacturer reps, but they were saying 6.5cm was their single best-selling cartridge outside of 5.56, and if I understood correctly I believe he was citing industry-wide sales, not just their company. Those industry figures are always suspect when you get down to exact %’s because they rely on extrapolating from a limited data set, but they are generally faily good on trends—I did think of this thread when I heard it.

Folks also need to remember that 1) hunters and 2) western hunters in particular, are NOT accounting for the large majority of ammo sales.

I swore I would not buy another rifle unless/until my club announces the long anticipated expansion of our range from 500 out to 1K yards. My resolve is fading, however! Still not settled completely on the gun ( although looking harder and harder at the Tikka Super Varmint ), but whatever it is it`ll be in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Mojave

WKR
I like the 6.5 CM. I don't own one, but I have about 1400 rounds of once fired Hornady that I'll buy another rifle for some day.

It isn't an amazing cartridge but it fills a lot of spots.

Kind of gay for what it is worth. Only because everyone decided it was gay.

Unckebob

WKR
Wish I could recall which podcast I heard recently with a couple manufacturer reps, but they were saying 6.5cm was their single best-selling cartridge outside of 5.56, and if I understood correctly I believe he was citing industry-wide sales, not just their company. Those industry figures are always suspect when you get down to exact %’s because they rely on extrapolating from a limited data set, but they are generally faily good on trends—I did think of this thread when I heard it.

Folks also need to remember that 1) hunters and 2) western hunters in particular, are NOT accounting for the large majority of ammo sales.

IMO - it is taking a lot of sales from 308 on the high end and 243 on the low end as the standard deer rifle for non-Western deer hunters. They are stupid easy to shoot well and will kill a deer effectively.

I like the 6.5 CM. I don't own one, but I have about 1400 rounds of once fired Hornady that I'll buy another rifle for some day.

It isn't an amazing cartridge but it fills a lot of spots.

Kind of gay for what it is worth. Only because everyone decided it was gay.
Pardon my " unhipness ", but how and why was the appellation of " gay " applied to a bullet caliber in the first place?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Pardon my " unhipness ", but how and why was the appellation of " gay " applied to a bullet caliber in the first place?
The Fudd’s hate what they don’t understand… Fudd’s don’t get BC, or bullet construction or the ability to dial a scope, all they know .300 winny’s topped with a loopy and yer good, they hate everything else