How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

Where I live now (southern Appalachian mountains), the local gun shops can’t move a 6.5 CM and ammo they stocked up on. Maybe the observation is from moving across the country, but I sure don’t see folks battling to pick one up anymore.

I’ve had a 6.5 CM on consignment (one of three I own l) at about 20% below cost for four months and can’t trick someone into buying it. Gun shop guys say everyone is back on 308.

If a guy were going to stereotype, the "creedmoor is gay" sentiment might be strong amongst that region.

Macintosh

WKR
I would certainly concede the marketing around 6.5cm has died off from what it was 10 years ago, if that's the measure then maybe there's something to it. It may be that the industry is busy marketing the cartridges that have come out since. But I dont see one iota of evidence around me that the actual popularity has died off...if anything, from what I see the folks that talked shit about the 6.5cm have gotten over it and most of them now own several. Local shops here have no issue moving them, and ammo is likely the highest-volume cartridge sold outside of 5.56 and 9mm, MAAAYbe 308 has as much selection, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure local shops love it because gun owners arent going through VOLUME in many other rifle cartridges other than 5.56. I look at what cartridges they buy and display by the pallet...5.56, 9mm, 22lr. and in a few cases 6.5cm. Certainly not other rifle cartridges that I see. Whose shoulder wants to touch off 100 rounds of 3006 in a sitting? Not this kid.

It’s been around since 2007 if I recall and have remained popular. It’s just been overshadowed by the latest Hornady flavor of the day.

It was always mediocre at best. My wife’s 6.5x47 runs right with my buddy’s 6.5 CM and bests it in some aspects. It’s well overshadowed by my 260AI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BKM

FNG
It’s been around since 2007 if I recall and have remained popular. It’s just been overshadowed by the latest Hornady flavor of the day.

It was always mediocre at best. My wife’s 6.5x47 runs right with my buddy’s 6.5 CM and bests it in some aspects. It’s well overshadowed by my 260AI.

The point of the CM, as well as the prc cartridges was never to be the fastest. Its to shoot high BC bullets well with factory ammo in factory guns.

The Creedmoor does this very well

The point of the CM, as well as the prc cartridges was never to be the fastest. Its to shoot high BC bullets well with factory ammo in factory guns.

The Creedmoor does this very well

Powder and barrel burners to get the flattest shooting cartridge minimizing hold over on a simple duplex reticle is mid 20th century.

2700 FPS with a 6.5 Creedmoor and a reliable rangefinder, ballistic app and turret is very effective at sane distances.

wyosam

WKR
It was surpassed ballistically by the 6.5PRC.

Or the 6.5-284 or a host of other .264s that burn more powder. “Performance” isn’t really the 6.5CM’s niche. It is a level of performance balanced against recoil and barrel life. It’s a good performer, but it is boringly moderate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR

Meaning the .260AI is 1st or 2nd in factory ammo sales? This thread needs a Princess Bride meme.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Maybe it's just my observation, but it sure seems that demand for the 6.5 CM (2007) has fallen off a cliff. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with folks turning to other offerings to get 'just a little more' - whatever that may be.

I think this list is the SAAMI cartridges introduced since then (most of em anyhow).

• 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge
  • 6mm Creedmoor
  • 6mm GT
  • 6.5-284 Norma
  • 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum
  • 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge
  • 6.5 Weatherby Rebated Precision Magnum
  • 6.8 True Velocity Composite
  • 6.8 Western
  • 7mm Precision Rifle Cartridge
  • 7mm PRC
  • 12 Gauge 1¾”
  • 21 Sharp
  • 22 Advanced Rifle Cartridge
  • 22 Creedmoor
  • 22 Nosler
  • 224 Valkyrie
  • 277 SIG FURY
  • 28 Gauge 3"
  • 30 Super Carry
  • 300 Norma Magnum
  • 300 Precision Rifle Cartridge
  • 300 HAM’R
  • 338 Norma Magnum
  • 338 Weatherby Rebated Precision Magnum
  • 350 Legend
  • 360 Buckhammer
  • 400 Legend
  • 429 Desert Eagle
It’s just your observation, like you said…
It’s here to stay and a ridiculously useful cartridge. Albeit a bit cliche now, I don’t give a damn. It works.

OP
menhaden_man
It’s just your observation, like you said…
It’s here to stay and a ridiculously useful cartridge. Albeit a bit cliche now, I don’t give a damn. It works.
Agree and never really connected the dots to the regional nature of it. I still own three of them at the moment.