Hoping to get some suggestions on the type/specs on what kind of pedal bike to buy for hunting?

Elite

WKR
I am looking at setting up a non E-BIKE for hunting this year. I would be mainly riding old atv trails with some dead fall and some mud and soft terrain.

Hoping some people with lots of bike experience suggest some specs to look for on a bike.

Tire size?
10 speed or more?
Only front suspension or is rear suspension needed also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
Really soft you want tires like this. I have a hard tail with 2.6” tires and they still aren’t wide enough for soft mud or sand.

wyogoat

WKR
I go in on my fat bike a lot and it is fully rigid (Borealis Yampa Carbon) and it can be handy. The Trek a few posts up is a good recommendation.
Personally I don’t think I’d want a rear suspension, maybe a front but not critical at all since you won’t be pushing your speed much.
I think a 650b mid-fat would be perfect. A tad lighter than a true fat bike with 5 inch tires and more forgiving than a tradition mtb with 2 inch tires.
The nice thing about the wider tires is you can run lower pressure which acts as a bit of a shock and traction is less of an issue.
If your hike out involves a descent then it’s totally worth all the hassle….

Attachments

• 20200917_161548.jpeg
    20200917_161548.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 25

180ls1

WKR
I am guessing a 26" hard tail will suit you best but full suspension may be in the running. Given your speed of travel 29" is probably pissing in the wind.

Lawnboi

WKR
Go demo a 29” hard tail with slack geometry. Don’t try race bike and I wouldn’t consider a full suspension bike for hunting for the most part. Full suspension also comes with a huge increase in price and maintenance. Ie a 2.5k hard tail is a decent bike. A 2.5k full suspension bike is junk you’re going to break with any serious riding.

Find a good bike shop, demo a bike on the trails you plan to use and see how it goes. I love biking off road, but there are very few times or places where a bike is going to save me any energy or time over hiking in a hunting situation.

If I were buying a bike today for hunting it would be a hard tail 29” bike, not sure I’d go plus and definetlu wouldn’t go fat tire just because of the energy your going to rob pushing bigger rubber when it may not be needed.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Really soft you want tires like this. I have a hard tail with 2.6” tires and they still aren’t wide enough for soft mud or sand.

Thanks, Do you think a 3” tire would be decent? I have heard those bike 4.5” use alot of energy

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I go in on my fat bike a lot and it is fully rigid (Borealis Yampa Carbon) and it can be handy. The Trek a few posts up is a good recommendation.
Personally I don’t think I’d want a rear suspension, maybe a front but not critical at all since you won’t be pushing your speed much.
I think a 650b mid-fat would be perfect. A tad lighter than a true fat bike with 5 inch tires and more forgiving than a tradition mtb with 2 inch tires.
The nice thing about the wider tires is you can run lower pressure which acts as a bit of a shock and traction is less of an issue.
If your hike out involves a descent then it’s totally worth all the hassle….

Looks like a awesome setup, how do you pack your rifle on it

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Look for a used fatbike. Pretty simple (even I can work on my Surly). Thentires are the suspention and you treat them like off road tires, air down for more traction, etc.

cmahoney

WKR
Thanks, Do you think a 3” tire would be decent? I have heard those bike 4.5” use alot of energy

I think it depends on the terrain. Based on where I live, if I wanted a bike I could ride on all the 2 tracks I’d get a fat tire.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I have a giant talon 29 and it's been great, nice and light and gets me where I need to go. Not many places I go that hiking isn't a better option, but on power line trails and the like it's sure nice to chew up miles quickly.

1x10 gearing is easy to operate.
Eliminating suspension front and back is a fast way to reduce weight.
Definately consider the tradeoff between heavy fattys and lighter skinny tires. There are no chairlifts where I hunt.

Hoping to stay under a $1000 until I try the bike thing out and see then

Personally i would not waste my money on a bike under $1000. You won't be able to stop with a loaded bike. Basically the brakes and all other components will be junk.
I have used full suspension cross country race bikes, to whatever i had laying around to presently using a fat bike with 2 different tire sizes. 26x4 and 29x3.
I am presently using a surly pugsley. It has to be the most functional hunting bike i have ever came accross.
I am a mountain biker and love the sport, so it was an easy transition to hunting off of a bike.
The surly pugsley the green bike, is the best one i have came accross for hunting off of a bike. Bike packing bags are the bomb and allow you to have lots of room for stuff. However the bikes do get heavy and if you are not a bike rider, you will suffer, big time. Gated roads have worked the best for me.
IMG_0322res.JPGIMG_1271.JPG20151013_095333.jpg20171015_125744.jpg20171018_115906.jpg

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Personally i would not waste my money on a bike under $1000. You won't be able to stop with a loaded bike. Basically the brakes and all other components will be junk.
I have used full suspension cross country race bikes, to whatever i had laying around to presently using a fat bike with 2 different tire sizes. 26x4 and 29x3.
I am presently using a surly pugsley. It has to be the most functional hunting bike i have ever came accross.
I am a mountain biker and love the sport, so it was an easy transition to hunting off of a bike.
The surly pugsley the green bike, is the best one i have came accross for hunting off of a bike. Bike packing bags are the bomb and allow you to have lots of room for stuff. However the bikes do get heavy and if you are not a bike rider, you will suffer, big time. Gated roads have worked the best for me.
View attachment 729343View attachment 729344View attachment 729345View attachment 729346View attachment 729347

Looks like a wicked set up! I’ll have to look them up. Any recommendations on the tire width?

tire size is alot like caliber discusion. But i have been using a fat bike that can take 29x3 or 26x4.
the 29x3 seems to be the best all around for hunting, but i like the 29x2.5 for mtn biking and the 26x5 for winter riding. I got 5 bikes so, i got options.
a hard tail 29er with a rack and some bags would get you going. Front suspenion is probably best, but i have a rack on the front so i can't have front suspension. I have tied racks to the front rack, but you better not wreck.
I have wrecked peddaling in in the dark in 4 inches of snow. I just laughed, i have come close to blowing a curve going downhill with 2 elk hinds in the trailer. you want the best brakes you can buy.