Home Bulk Ice Maker

I go through a lot of ice between fishing, hunting and camping trips. Particularly fishing trips though. I’ll be living in an apartment for the foreseeable future, fridge/freezer does not have an ice maker. Bagged ice goes for over $3/10# near me.

Thinking about getting a counter top unit that I can run in the evenings during the week to fill bags in my chest freezer. Depending on the exact unit, should be able to put 10lbs+ away per evening if I’m reading some the output specs right.

Any recommendations on a unit for this purpose?

svivian

WKR
I have a garage fridge that I tied a water line into my water heater. I make as much as I want and just store it in the extra freezer. The table top ice makers are usually garbage

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I have a garage fridge that I tied a water line into my water heater. I make as much as I want and just store it in the extra freezer. The table top ice makers are usually garbage

Yeah, that’s why I’m hoping someone has had some good experiences with one. They all have some number of bad reviews.

Since I’m in a rental can’t modify my fridge/freezer like you did. I’ve seen some guys put an ice maker in a chest freezer but can’t run water/drain lines to mine.

The nugget ice makers are pretty enticing…nugget ice is apparently very efficient at cooling down fish AND it’s great for cocktails. Win win

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Had to buy a countertop model- Frigidaire Gallery- been happy with it so far. Makes fast batches in like 20 minutes of nugget ice. Would buy again.

TSAMP

WKR
Why not just freeze block ice? From my experience the countertop makers usually have a wet cube that freezes together once transferred into the freezer anyway.. I've used ice cream tubes to make block ice before. Now I just freeze 1 gal milk jugs and use those. No soggy meat and it's easy to switch them out on multiple day hunts.

If space is a issue I'd buy another cooler before a crappy countertop ice maker.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
I do that as well for extended hunts. But as far as countertop units, we had to because the samsung fridge we recently purchased makes a batch every week or so it seems like and is a common unfixed issue with these models.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Why not just freeze block ice? From my experience the countertop makers usually have a wet cube that freezes together once transferred into the freezer anyway.. I've used ice cream tubes to make block ice before. Now I just freeze 1 gal milk jugs and use those. No soggy meat and it's easy to switch them out on multiple day hunts.

If space is a issue I'd buy another cooler before a crappy countertop ice maker.
Block ice is no good at cooling down fish. I like to gut and stuff the cavity with ice to cool it down as fast as possible. It'll freeze together in the bag in the freezer but I imagine I can slam the bag like you do with store bagged ice.

I use frozen ICE (the drink) bottles if its a food/beverage cooler. But for fish and meat I want cube or bullet ice.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I had one I got at Costco that lasted about 10 years before a piece broke and I couldn't get a replacement part.

When I looked for a replacement unit, most the cheap ones had negative reviews on durability. I don't have a Costco membership anymore, so didn't investigate them again, but might be worth a look if you do.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had a counter top unit I got on Amazon. I was amazed at how much and how fast it would put out ice. only issue I needed to keep reservoir full of water. , which wasn't much of a problem. They will auto turn off when ice basket is full. I think it would make a batch of ice every 20 mins.

def90

WKR
McDonalds sells bulk ice.. probably easier and cheaper than dealing with a counter top unit.

I see you are living in an apartment so this wont work but if you are serious about ice get a commercial restaurant grad ice maker. You'll be able to sell ice to your neighbors all summer long.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I fill 1 gal. or 16 oz ziplock bags for freezer. Block ice last a lot longer than cubbed. I have an ice pick to break down blocks when needed. Pretty simple.

Figure in electric costs is it really worth it? When you’re already have freezer running?

Last edited:
OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I fill 1 gal. or 16 oz ziplock bags for freezer. Block ice last a lot longer than cubbed. I have an ice pick to break down blocks when needed. Pretty simple.

Figure in electric costs is it really worth it? When you’re already have freezer running?
Can't stuff a fish cavity with block ice. And I'm in WA, electricity is cheap.

Titan

WKR
I have bought some stuff from Vevor recently that has actually turned out pretty good. I haven't bought any of their food related items but it is fairly cheap to give it a try. They have tons of ice makers - one shows 70 lbs in 24 hours for $225. Free shipping.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
McDonalds sells bulk ice.. probably easier and cheaper than dealing with a counter top unit.

I see you are living in an apartment so this wont work but if you are serious about ice get a commercial restaurant grad ice maker. You'll be able to sell ice to your neighbors all summer long.
Interesting. I had no idea MCD sols bulk ice, thanks for the heads up.

def90

WKR

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You may want to check and see if there is a bulk ice supply company anywhere around where u live. The Ice man is about three miles from me and I can get ice in any size or shape I want, block, cubes, crushed all for about half grocery store prices. I only use them on hunting, camping and fishing trips.

Depending on where you live, maybe look into those ice dispenser units off of roads. The ones around me run $2.50/20lbs bulk or $2.50/16lbs bagged. They can sometimes be a pain to track down but if you can find one it may be a cheap option.